Just cool wood

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Corney
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Dec 2019

Re: Just cool wood

Postby Corney » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:58 am

That looks like a great woodworking setup, I had just that for many years.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 17896
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Just cool wood

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Corney wrote:That looks like a great woodworking setup, I had just that for many years.


It would be better if I had some way to work in the shade. It's just too windy here that any sort of canopy isnt practical...at least, none that can be put up by one person, in less than, like, 20 minutes. :( Sun and wind makes it very hard to get a good looking finish on anything.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 17896
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Just cool wood

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:57 pm

While at Woodcraft to buy some nicer drawer slides to "hot rod" my el-cheap-o nightstand, I noticed they expanded their lumber section.

20200223_113007.jpg

20200223_112815.jpg

Screenshot_20200223-185758_Gallery.jpg



20200223_112919.jpg



I always wished this stuff came in bigger pieces than these pen/handle turning blanks, but I imagine they would be big bucks...
20200223_113104.jpg


Flamed ash baseball bat billet/blank:
Screenshot_20200223-185553_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 701
Joined: May 2018
Location: Hudson Valley

Re: Just cool wood

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:47 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Flamed ash baseball bat billet/blank:
Screenshot_20200223-185553_Gallery.jpg

ooh I wonder if that would work for a neck.

I mean they use it in freakin' baseball bats, right? You'd think it'd be fine.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 17896
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Just cool wood

Postby spudmunkey » Sun May 10, 2020 11:32 pm

About 2 years ago, I started making a "wall art" piece for above the sofa.

It got put on hold when we started a home remodel, and finally picked it back up this weekend.

It's all ash end grain facing out.

Unfortunately, this project was for "her", and she wanted to stain the wood darker. IMO it looks a lot worse, but, eh...still looking forward to getting it finished. The ash is really cool.

It's got a false back, and then solid wood blocks will wrap around the sides to hide the mounting hardware, sit tight to the wall, and so it looks 3" thick.

Hopefully finishing it next weekend, if it doesnt rain...

Image

User avatar
Chelydra
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Nov 2019

Re: Just cool wood

Postby Chelydra » Mon May 11, 2020 11:32 am

spudmunkey wrote:About 2 years ago, I started making a "wall art" piece for above the sofa.

It got put on hold when we started a home remodel, and finally picked it back up this weekend.

It's all ash end grain facing out.

Unfortunately, this project was for "her", and she wanted to stain the wood darker. IMO it looks a lot worse, but, eh...still looking forward to getting it finished. The ash is really cool.

It's got a false back, and then solid wood blocks will wrap around the sides to hide the mounting hardware, sit tight to the wall, and so it looks 3" thick.

Hopefully finishing it next weekend, if it doesnt rain...

Image


Maybe try to convince her to let you do a gradation or pattern of stained and natural?

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 17896
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Just cool wood

Postby spudmunkey » Mon May 11, 2020 11:39 am

Chelydra wrote:
Maybe try to convince her to let you do a gradation or pattern of stained and natural?


She's got a specific look in her head. She's also a commercial interior designer by trade with 10+ years under her belt, and has a BFA degree in interior design from one of the few art schools with an interiors program. I'm lucky I'm even given the option of a veto on some interior design things, and this isn't hill I wanted to die on. :lol:

User avatar
Chelydra
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Nov 2019

Re: Just cool wood

Postby Chelydra » Mon May 11, 2020 11:42 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Chelydra wrote:
Maybe try to convince her to let you do a gradation or pattern of stained and natural?


She's got a specific look in her head. She's also a commercial interior designer by trade with 10+ years under her belt, and has a BFA degree in interior design from one of the few art schools with an interiors program. I'm lucky I'm even given the option of a veto on some interior design things, and this isn't hill I wanted to die on. :lol:


See, that's where I throw 20 different ideas/pictures at the 'ol lady so it's still "her decision."

For instance, my family's garden layout. She sure as hell didn't know what I meant by multiple iterations of a Hilbert Curve. :lol:

User avatar
canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 374
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas

Re: Just cool wood

Postby canon_mutant » Tue May 12, 2020 1:10 am

Finally redoing our floor too. This is an engineered product by Bruce that is water/chemical proof and scratch resistant yet hard pressed to distinguish from solid oak. So far so good.

Image

Would love to make a geetar out of this. Almost looks like it needs at least a PG13 rating, huh?

Image

User avatar
wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 2624
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Links/Contact:

Re: Just cool wood

Postby wickid » Tue May 12, 2020 9:35 am

canon_mutant wrote:...
Would love to make a geetar out of this. Almost looks like it needs at least a PG13 rating, huh?

Image


And some Seymore Butts p/ups. :mrgreen:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Image

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)


Return to The Backstage Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests