Unpopular Opinion Game

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Sunset » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:54 am

ElfDude wrote:
Casual Madman wrote:
helldorado wrote:The Gen Z / millenial children who never were told no, given participation trophies for anything competitive, and overall not allowed to fail as a means to learn, aren't doing the rest of us any favors now that they are adults.

Every time one of my Boomer friends complains about the Millennials, I say, "Yeah, where were their damned parents?"

Both of my kids are a mess. I place the blame squarely on myself and my ex wife. We did it wrong. :(

Sometimes they return to the fold.

Hang in there brother. :)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Sunset wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
Casual Madman wrote:
helldorado wrote:The Gen Z / millenial children who never were told no, given participation trophies for anything competitive, and overall not allowed to fail as a means to learn, aren't doing the rest of us any favors now that they are adults.

Every time one of my Boomer friends complains about the Millennials, I say, "Yeah, where were their damned parents?"

Both of my kids are a mess. I place the blame squarely on myself and my ex wife. We did it wrong. :(

Sometimes they return to the fold.

Hang in there brother. :)

It's often the parents, yes, but frankly, the country isn't the same as it was. Unpopular opinion on that would be that the millennials are doing what they can, and are economically backed into a corner. I could go at length about that one, but this is not the time or place. Parents do what they can, and sometimes the world just takes a dump on people. It is what it is, all we can do is a little less damage than yesterday.

Anyway, on a more guitar-related note....unpopular opinion from me is that vintage stuff really isn't all that hot. BEGIN!
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:51 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Anyway, on a more guitar-related note....unpopular opinion from me is that vintage stuff really isn't all that hot. BEGIN!

Excuse me, but I thought this was America! I reserve the right to buy a more expensive brand new guitar, built to looser tolerances with mechanically inferior hardware because it will feel more authentic hanging on the wall of my office. :lol:

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:43 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Anyway, on a more guitar-related note....unpopular opinion from me is that vintage stuff really isn't all that hot. BEGIN!

>be me
>buy vintage-spec Fender Mustang
>play it for 2 weeks
>immediately start planning how to modernize the 'Stang platform with more high-performance features and playability

Vintage purists make me actually angry because they're like "oh it's sooo much better when it's pre-CBS, Leo got it right the first time" or "oh it's a '60 burst? no thanks those are bad" like technology (which electric instruments more than say an acoustic guitar definitely are) hasn't improved at all since the mid-20th century and like freakin' John Suhr can't put together a better guitar blindfolded than any production anything from that time.

Spoilers: he can

Vintage amps are goddamn deathtraps waiting to go off, vintage guitars are tubs of 60-cycle hum with sticky baseball-bat necks coated in carcinogen gunk with plastics that are one look away from disintegrating in a haze of dangerous chemicals, and, uh, unpopular opinion, most vintage pedals sound like hot garbage. Sometimes hot garbage is the tone du jour that works for your sound, but most of the time it's not - "oh but if it's on so many hit records then how can it be so bad"

A. not like they had anything else or knew any better at the time
B. because of dumb shits like vintage purists who push this crap on everybody else

I'm not gonna knock guys who like vinyl or tape because I actually really like listening to my Swancore emo trash on vinyl - modern prog in general sounds super good when the mix isn't compressed to hell and back - and those actually have measurable effects on sound without any major drawbacks as long as you know how to use it. Let's take a look at a vintage guitar case study though:

50s Esquire:
Looks: piss yellow but somehow still dirty
Sounds: like 60-cycle hum with a helping of ice pick
Plays: like a chewed-up stick of gum in the shape of a baseball bat
Notable features: weird unintuitive electronics because Leo was too cheap to put in a neck pickup

How about an amp? I'm having fun, how about you guys :)

Late 60s Marshall Super Lead
Looks: like grandma's cabinet
Sounds: like a box of bees in a tin can unless you have treble and presence and the treble channel barely dialed in
Works with what voltages: about 10% higher and/or lower than anything you can get out of any power grid
Tube swaps: about every month because the darn things sound good at fire-hazard levels of tube bias
Usable volume range: demolition crew equipment

I think I've made my point.
/rant

. . . DID I SAY /RANT WITHOUT TALKING ABOUT THE RIDICULOUS PRICES FOR A STUPID METAL BOX WITH A GOOFY HORSEBRO ON IT?

/rant

Cow, I think you hit a bit of a sore spot, not gonna lie.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Winner!

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:46 pm

Epic rant is epic.

What the heck is horsebro?

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Sunset wrote:Epic rant is epic.

The dumb-looking centaur on the Klons that go for a few grand

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:08 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sunset wrote:Epic rant is epic.

The dumb-looking centaur on the Klons that go for a few grand

Well, that was an interesting rabbit hole to delve into. Up to $4k for a so-so sounding(imo) overdrive seems more like rarity/cachet/snobby bs than actual value.

This unwashed bougie schmuck would much prefer an AxeFXiii for that kind of scratch.

Thx for the enlightenment!

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:35 am

how unpopular is it that I sold every pedal and piece of physical hardware but my original Crybaby (that I bought when I was 15) and my two Fender combo mps (which are under cover and stored away in the corner) to go full 100% plug-in and PC/DAW based?

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:56 am

You’d get no sniveling from this corner. I’m pretty much 80% Reaper/Neural DSP-15% Kemper-5% 5150iii with chorus/phaser/delay/and an H9 for reverb at the moment.

But the 5% will grow considerably if I ever find the right guys to perform with. That 5150iii cuts through a mix like a scythe...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am

I got into pedals just in time to sell all 16 pedals and get a Helix. I take that back...I kept the EHX C9, but rumor has it the 3.0 Helix update might include polyphonic effects like it, so it may not be long for this earth.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:19 am

Yeah, I literally have no amps. I do however have a good $8,000 worth of guitars and basses going direct to an Axe FX II to my laptop with Protools 12 that also has a couple Neural DSP plug ins as well. My live "rig" is actually just a line 6 helix straight to the mixer at my church lol. If I ever get a dream job in a band I will sell what is needed and get a Peavey Invective for guitar most likely or a Darkglass head on an 810 if its a bass gig.
Kiesels: 2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)
Others: Peavey Raptor Plus (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, Ibanez RGEW521ZC
Basses: 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:16 pm

Harlow, you made my night, man. Love that rant, and I feel very similar (slightly less profanity)!

Having worked on/rebuilt 60s amps, I can confirm deathtrap status. Being kicked off 500V because a wire has a crack in the insulation/melted/exposed is real fun. Hopefully never again, 'cause that was enough.

I've tired older guitars, and they just never aged well at all; I felt way more attachment to an 80s Japanese Tele than an original. Why? Better guitar in every measurable way.

I think much of guitars/music are so steeped in nostalgia, and probably drug-induced rose-colored glass memories, that we've told ourselves lies on how good or bad equipment is.

"But that tonewood." Yeah, no. That's another unpopular (yet gaining popularity) opinion.

helldorado wrote:Excuse me, but I thought this was America! I reserve the right to buy a more expensive brand new guitar, built to looser tolerances with mechanically inferior hardware because it will feel more authentic hanging on the wall of my office. :lol:

:laughhard: Yeah, it's gotta be made in 'Murica if it's gonna be on MY wall as art. Nationalist guitar association 4 life!

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:32 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:Harlow, you made my night, man. Love that rant, and I feel very similar (slightly less profanity)!

Having worked on/rebuilt 60s amps, I can confirm deathtrap status. Being kicked off 500V because a wire has a crack in the insulation/melted/exposed is real fun. Hopefully never again, 'cause that was enough.

I've tired older guitars, and they just never aged well at all; I felt way more attachment to an 80s Japanese Tele than an original. Why? Better guitar in every measurable way.

I think much of guitars/music are so steeped in nostalgia, and probably drug-induced rose-colored glass memories, that we've told ourselves lies on how good or bad equipment is.

"But that tonewood." Yeah, no. That's another unpopular (yet gaining popularity) opinion.

helldorado wrote:Excuse me, but I thought this was America! I reserve the right to buy a more expensive brand new guitar, built to looser tolerances with mechanically inferior hardware because it will feel more authentic hanging on the wall of my office. :lol:

:laughhard: Yeah, it's gotta be made in 'Murica if it's gonna be on MY wall as art. Nationalist guitar association 4 life!

The only guitar I have hanging on my wall was made in Italy...
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:53 am

ElfDude wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:Harlow, you made my night, man. Love that rant, and I feel very similar (slightly less profanity)!

I have a Canadian built guitar on my wall....but I'm Canadian.

I also have a guitar from Korea up there.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:07 am

ElfDude wrote:...

Banjo-orno! *nyuk* … and … *grooooooan* :wink: :roll: :sounchick:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:02 am

In all seriousness, I switched to hanging all of mine, not as art (hopefully obvious) but to have more floor space. I have ones made in USA, Korea, Indonesia, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, and China. A good guitar is a good guitar; I don't care about brand or country of origin. The odds of good USA one are better, but I have also kept some really excellent foreign-made ones. Still, I do get some eyebrows raised at my choices, mostly because it has a low Fender count, and Gibson is completely absent (though represented by a particularly nice Japanese Epiphone).

I might have to make a thread entry in "other gear" to show some of them, since we all know that's the only reason we're here, right? Right?

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:24 pm

I had mine hung on the wall of my bedroom when I was young and still in my parent's house, but my mom had a habit of opening the windows for "fresh air" when it was 80 and humid and I would cringe as my guitars would all immediately need adjustments for it.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:02 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:In all seriousness, I switched to hanging all of mine, not as art (hopefully obvious) but to have more floor space. I have ones made in USA, Korea, Indonesia, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, and China. A good guitar is a good guitar; I don't care about brand or country of origin. The odds of good USA one are better, but I have also kept some really excellent foreign-made ones. Still, I do get some eyebrows raised at my choices, mostly because it has a low Fender count, and Gibson is completely absent (though represented by a particularly nice Japanese Epiphone).

I might have to make a thread entry in "other gear" to show some of them, since we all know that's the only reason we're here, right? Right?

I feel like I may be missing something here? After the whole “cowbell” debacle I’m a little(ok, a lot)uncertain WRT my:

A: Lack of Carvin/Kiesel knowledge base, being a n00b and all.
B: Technical/mechanical ineptitude
C: Utter lack of interest in fb, instagram, etc.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Sunset wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:In all seriousness, I switched to hanging all of mine, not as art (hopefully obvious) but to have more floor space. I have ones made in USA, Korea, Indonesia, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, and China. A good guitar is a good guitar; I don't care about brand or country of origin. The odds of good USA one are better, but I have also kept some really excellent foreign-made ones. Still, I do get some eyebrows raised at my choices, mostly because it has a low Fender count, and Gibson is completely absent (though represented by a particularly nice Japanese Epiphone).

I feel like I may be missing something here? After the whole “cowbell” debacle I’m a little(ok, a lot)uncertain WRT my:

A: Lack of Carvin/Kiesel knowledge base, being a n00b and all.
B: Technical/mechanical ineptitude
C: Utter lack of interest in fb, instagram, etc.

Well it's really just good BBS manners and nothing else. This thread is for "unpopular opinion" posts and general related sh*t talking. We have a dedicated sub-forum for "other gear," and it's always considered best practice to start a new thread when it'll drive significant discussion. You can always link from one to another to guide people or reference the original topic. So if any unpopular opinion topic has enough responses that the general conversations starts to derail from the original intent, then it should be its own thread.

And I like to see other people's stuff. I'm always interested in what people like or don't like enough that it opens their wallet.

Return to The Backstage Lounge