Unpopular Opinion Game

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Sunset » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:41 pm

Roger that

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:29 am

Anybody who buys a neck-thru Aries and spends good money on upgraded woods and a body top, only to have that little bit of neck wood poke out at the base of the body... you know when it's a highly contrasting neck wood against the body so it just calls massive distracting attention to itself? They should probably get their eyes checked or take a course on visual design. :lol:

Nope, don't like it, :(

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:15 pm

People feel the same way about bevels, headless guitars, 7-string guitars, tune-o-matic bridges, and the color "blue". :lol:

I'll telling you, I'm sure it looks better from any angle other than straight on. If you see any of the bottom edge, you see more of it, much like BBE in a way.

Or, just go with a triple-thick top. Problem solved. ;)

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:29 pm

spudmunkey wrote:People feel the same way about bevels, headless guitars, 7-string guitars, tune-o-matic bridges, and the color "blue". :lol:

Bevels! Goddamn bevels for the sake of bevels. It's insanity!

Headless guitars! It's a gimmick, a joke!

7 strings! You can't even play 6 stringss right!

Tune-o-matic bridges! You mean crap-o-matic dead weights!

BLUE!!! WHY DOES BLUE LOOK YELLOW/GREEN OVER THIS BURL!

Am I doing it right? :lol:

spudmunkey wrote:I'll telling you, I'm sure it looks better from any angle other than straight on. If you see any of the bottom edge, you see more of it, much like BBE in a way.

If I see an angle where I like it, I'll let you know. But usually the guys who get the exposed neck and top wood are also doing the "every available wood" option in their build.

EDIT: Just saw this. Nope, don't like it.

spudmunkey wrote:Or, just go with a triple-thick top. Problem solved. ;)

I would just get a barebones solid color NA6 like I did with my DC600H and keep it under $1500. I do need something else in a a strong color to balance out my hot pink and tropic builds. And you can get the NA6 in 26.5" scale... even though I really need to get Kiesel to go 27" or longer if they're going to keep getting my money. :lol:
Last edited by helldorado on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:42 pm

helldorado wrote:I would just get a barebones solid color NA6 like I did with my DC600H and keep it under $1500. I do need something else in a a strong color to balance out my hot pink and tropic builds. And you can get the NA6 in 26.5" scale... even though I really need to get Kiesel to go 27" or longer if they're going to keep getting my money. :lol:

Now where’d I put that Old Man Yells At Cloud thingy...

Personally, I’m with you. It offends my aesthetic sensibilities. But realistically if it helps dude make his margins and continue turning out great guitars, then I’m all for it.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:55 pm

Sunset wrote:
helldorado wrote:I would just get a barebones solid color NA6 like I did with my DC600H and keep it under $1500. I do need something else in a a strong color to balance out my hot pink and tropic builds. And you can get the NA6 in 26.5" scale... even though I really need to get Kiesel to go 27" or longer if they're going to keep getting my money. :lol:

Now where’d I put that Old Man Yells At Cloud thingy...

Personally, I’m with you. It offends my aesthetic sensibilities. But realistically if it helps dude make his margins and continue turning out great guitars, then I’m all for it.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm all for a neck-thru Aries from a functional standpoint. And I'm all for it when the neck doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, lol. And you're right, customers wanted it, they're buying it, that's what matters. Everybody wins.

I think it's because of how much I like Kiesel overall that it makes me cranky when I don't like something they offer or can't get what I want from them. :lol:

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:11 pm

Nope, still don't like it and this is like a super egregious example of an otherwise gorgeous build that is broken up by a disjointed neck wood and color combo.

However it does have me questioning if blacked out ash, or graphite is really the "darker" of the two finishes.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:25 pm

In general, I don't like AAT+natural wood, anyway. I'd be more "for" it if the body were just clear ash. :think:

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:46 pm

spudmunkey wrote:In general, I don't like AAT+natural wood, anyway. I'd be more "for" it if the body were just clear ash. :think:

But it still wouldn't match, it's actually the main reason I don't like the use of swamp ash on a neck thru build. It's just that blacked out ash next to mahogany under crimson red quilt really accentuates all the differences in color and grain.

sh*t, I don't even like the back of my DC127 because it's alder next to maple and that's a fairly close set of woods. :lol: In hindsight I would've gotten a fully painted black back.

IMG_20170702_123937377.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:04 pm

If you're going to get another man's name tattooed on your body, you should be sure it doesn't look like a prison tattoo and that's a claim of ownership. :lol:

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:49 pm

Just because you buy a lot of Kiesels doesn't mean you actually understand how Kiesel's pricing works. :lol:

GIS guitars where you "SAVE" $200 means it's just the normal price. You always get $100 off the standard model "direct" price and $100 in "free" options.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:22 pm

helldorado wrote:Just because you buy a lot of Kiesels doesn't mean you actually understand how Kiesel's pricing works. :lol:

GIS guitars where you "SAVE" $200 means it's just the normal price. You always get $100 off the standard model "direct" price and $100 in "free" options.

In case of that Aquaburst A6C, you do save compared to a custom build if you tried to spec it out on the builder.

$10. :wink:

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:35 am

helldorado wrote:If you're going to get another man's name tattooed on your body, you should be sure it doesn't look like a prison tattoo and that's a claim of ownership. :lol:

No Regerts!

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:42 am

helldorado wrote:Anybody who buys a neck-thru Aries and spends good money on upgraded woods and a body top, only to have that little bit of neck wood poke out at the base of the body... you know when it's a highly contrasting neck wood against the body so it just calls massive distracting attention to itself? They should probably get their eyes checked or take a course on visual design. :lol:

I've always thought the Aries looks better in solid colors that with a piece of figured top wood. Too much of the top wood is machined away for it to work for me. Most of the time anyway.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:31 am

ElfDude wrote:
helldorado wrote:Anybody who buys a neck-thru Aries and spends good money on upgraded woods and a body top, only to have that little bit of neck wood poke out at the base of the body... you know when it's a highly contrasting neck wood against the body so it just calls massive distracting attention to itself? They should probably get their eyes checked or take a course on visual design. :lol:

I've always thought the Aries looks better in solid colors that with a piece of figured top wood. Too much of the top wood is machined away for it to work for me. Most of the time anyway.

Me too! It's why the used one I bought is pink crackle and the two I ordered new were both AAT swamp ash with a trans color. Some guitars just work better as solid colors!

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:07 pm

I think the Aries looks fine with a top and RNC if you've got some cool contrast. For an NA, maybe something like mahogany wings and a flame maple top and neck, or ash wings with a walnut top and neck, and for the regular bolt-on just a good color blend, like mahogany body & blue flame top or something. If you have like a walnut body, figured maple top, and then a green finish, that's just kinda gaudy.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:32 pm

The JB Perpetual Burn guitar has been the best version of the Delos. It's a shame that the Floyd, individual on/off switches, and angled HB aren't available on the Delos. Truly cool features that you can't get now.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 pm

3hrs-6hrs/day is NOT spending “too much time” with a guitar in my hands.

The above opinion is decidedly unpopular in this household at the moment. :lol:

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:18 pm

people who position Carvin vs Kiesel, as one being better than the other are just the worst... :lol:

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:56 am

The headless models are getting so small I think a Guitar Hero controller might actually be bigger. :lol:

Image Image

Return to The Backstage Lounge