What jobs do you guys have?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

What jobs do you guys have?

Postby Dometalican » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:17 am

Seeing how you guys get all these guitars, I've always wondered what you guys do for a living to afford these moderately-priced beauties? (From a post you guys remember how I told all of you to treasure what you have), I'm currently in a contract working in a tier 1 Help Desk Support job so I'm getting BETTER (thank God!) but still can't get my first Kiesel yet. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

Crownman

re: What jobs do you guys have?

Postby Crownman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:30 am

For the daily get up and go to work job I work at a Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint location. I used to be a mechanic full time so I still do repairs on the side. I also work as a sound engineer and do consulting for people building systems to install in clubs or have for their band.
My Toys
Carvin DC125 Tobacco Burst
ESP Mii Black
Jackson Dinky Reverse Tiger Flame Burst
Jackson Dinky Reverse Quilt Burst
Jackson Dinky HX Black

silvergoat2k6
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby silvergoat2k6 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Nuclear Power Plant Operator at the Palisades Nuclear Plant just outside South Haven, MI.
*Dean* "The Kiesel BBS Ultra V Dude"
6 (yes, 6) Ultra V's, Aries A6H, NZ624M Neil Zaza Signature, CS3, GH3
Proud Member of #teamzaza

MGE320
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MGE320 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:07 pm

I am an airline pilot turned dog behaviorist.

My wife is an airline pilot whose salary pays all the bills around here so that I can play at being a dog behaviorist and not have to worry about making a living.

8)

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Working for a company that makes photonic switches for fiber-optic networks. We essentially make bandwidth.
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

kmd09
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kmd09 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:31 pm

For the last approx. 30yrs, I've been a Dentist. I'm somewhat semi-retired right now and only work when I want/need to by covering for other Dentists when they are away from their practices. I'll probably do this for a couple more years then become full time retired!
AC375 DEEP RED ON FLAME
V49K DEEP NIGHTBURST ON FLAME
CT624M DEEP AQUABURST ON FLAME
CS624S DEEP PURPLE ON QUILT
SH575 DEEP ORANGEBURST ON FLAME
'79 CM130
PRS SE245
X100B
V3 1/2 STACK
AG100D
BX700, BRX10.2, BRX15.3
FENDER STRAT, TACOMA DM-18, TRAYNOR YGL3-100 MKIII, YAMAHA G1OO-212

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby kennym9898 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm an Equipment Manager at a golf course. I work on anything, weedeaters to heavy machinery. The smaller courses don't pay much, fortunately I was able to get the position at a high end golf course where both courses are ranked in the 100 best golf course in the US. So now my job is more paper pushing, teaching, managing the other mechanics in the shop.
Carvin SH550B, SCB6, AC375, DC700, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez, Fender Strat, Jackson Soloist, Washburn,
Carvin V3MC, Marshall DSL40c, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Line6

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm a temperature metrologist. I calibrate high end thermometers and metal fixed point cells. The only lab in North America that could sell you a calibration with better uncertainties is the national lab at NIST.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

dvdmz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dvdmz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:37 pm

I work at a projector service center. My Kiesel-to-be was a huge investment for me, and can't wrap my head around people who have 14 of them.

riff
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby riff » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:42 pm

I was a welder - fitter for 18 years building robotic conveyors and machines for the big 3 auto companies. The past 14 years working as a Bio-Med technician for a hospice pharmacy.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Clinical director of an organization providing self pay residential services treating addiction and co-occurring psychiatric conditions. The majority of my daily focus is on evaluation and treatment of those patients that are in public safety sensitive careers - physicians, pharmacists, dentists, lawyers etc.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: What jobs do you guys have?

Postby kennym9898 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:46 pm

dvdmz wrote:and can't wrap my head around people who have 14 of them.

When I started my job, they gave me an apartment to live in for a while at the golf course. I had to relocate 250 miles from where I was at. They run an internship program, plus housing for Assistant Superintendents. One just happen to be vacant, so I got to stay for 2 years rent and bill free. Down side is you had to be available at all times on salary. So that's how I was able to get 4 in short period of time.
Carvin SH550B, SCB6, AC375, DC700, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez, Fender Strat, Jackson Soloist, Washburn,

Carvin V3MC, Marshall DSL40c, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Line6

Nlelith
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Nlelith » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:38 pm

I work as video editor at a TV studio (but in reality, I'm not only editing, but also make graphics, sound engineering, and fix PC-related problems of my co-workers :lol: ). We mostly do TV programs, and promotional clips.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:10 am

ElfDude wrote:I'm a temperature metrologist. I calibrate high end thermometers and metal fixed point cells. The only lab in North America that could sell you a calibration with better uncertainties is the national lab at NIST.

US military might have something pretty close. As a boiler tech I went to gauge cal. Nothing to the level you do I am sure. I just marveled at how the equipment was so expensive. The brand name I can remember but not spell was King Nutronics. The stuff was self contained really well. Like the old school hair driers of the 50's

I think the other part of the equation for the op is age. I think we average like 40-50 years old here. If you do it right you should be more secure as you start to rot, I mean mature.

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:37 am

texastoast wrote:I think the other part of the equation for the op is age. I think we average like 40-50 years old here. If you do it right you should be more secure as you start to rot, I mean mature.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Its two separate questions. 1) What's your profession, 2) How do people afford guitars. (And then this second question could be broken up by age or what stage of your career you're at.) :D

Me:
1) Web application developer
2) I never spent more than $1000 on a guitar until in my 40s, and I always tried to put 10% of what i made into savings, and use credit sparingly. It wont seem like it makes a difference at first but now that I'm in my 50s I'm glad I did and actually wish I started younger.
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:17 am

I'm a business-process analyst and programmer. I write systems to take advantage of the bandwidth that Mikebass creates.

Texastoast is right about ∆t playing a major part in affording guitars. Once the house is out of the way, there's $12-15k more per year in your pocket (although you should put as much as you can away, particularly if you don't have a pension plan with a decent accrual rate.)

gpbarnett
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby gpbarnett » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:55 am

Software developer, currently working on mission control applications for a large constellation of satellites that will be launching over the next few years.

It took me a long time to get to where I can buy pretty much any gear that I want (still can't justify $30K for a Parker archtop, and haven't decided if an AxeFx would be worth the money when I already have a GT-100).

It helps that I've managed to keep my monthly expenses low, so that I can spend more on toys.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:58 am

Elementary school teacher.

FlyingV
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby FlyingV » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:52 am

My job now is strictly for the medical insurance and the schedule of one week on, one week off, 10 hour days for 7 days, then 7 off. If a business is open 7 days a week this is the best schedule ever. + one week vacation = 3 weeks off! :woot: I would call this job 'customer service". Government.

I also invest in the stock market, doing fair to good there. Currently taking the biggest gamble in my life with way more of my assets than I should be. But I have done my DD and I'm in pretty good company with others who believe as well [billionaires with a fleet of lawyers and researchers etc]

I was a Real Estate Broker for 10 years and still do real estate investing for myself only. I don't drive people around looking at houses anymore etc.

I'm sort of old now too so I will list the favorite jobs [many] I have had...

1. Smuggler - criminal. Say what you will there was more honor among our lot than any group I've ever worked with. That may be because failing to be honorable was a one time mistake. Good times. And compared to our government we were angels.

2. Real Estate Broker. I helped a lot of people form a base of stability and a financial future that would benefit them and their families long term. I felt good about what I did when I went home at night. Unlike job #1 above the business is full of back stabbing, unqualified and lazy people. Also it does not matter how good you do your job there are at least several other people in any transaction that can screw things up.

3. Motorcycle dealership manager, Motorcycle road racing. Just fun fun fun. I love motorcycles every bit as much as guitars/music. There is no drug that can match bending a bike in to a turn at 120mph and have someone doing the same inches from you. Love it.
[2] DC7X 27", Loomis 26.5", S7G 27.5", Walden CE550, Ibanez 7 nylon string.
My Kiesel wish list - All 7 strings. All 27" scale option.
New symmetrical V7X, X227X, TL7X, C77X Bolt [smooth heel]
Semi-Hollow CT7. Head or Headless [CODA's photoshop]

Jlaura76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jlaura76 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:58 am

I actually work for AT&T in business sales. for 15 years (until march) i worked part time for a church as a music director. I lost that job, now I only work for AT&T. it's been really tough. I had hoped my whole life to do music, even went to college (never finished).

life happened, most of my guitars went to the pawn shop. i come to this board as part of my way to grieve. seeing how many of you have the same passions but with different professions is a real boost for me. thanks for doing this. the cloud got a little smaller today!
"Born and raised in South Detroit (which does not actually exist)"

Carvin Guitars:
DC127T, CT6M, CT6C, AE185, LB70

Carvin amp:
Vintage 16 and V3M

Wanted:
FG1S

Return to The Backstage Lounge