What is your nickname and how did you come by it.

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Sirloin
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: What is your nickname and how did you come by it.

Postby Sirloin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:46 pm

"Sirloin" is a sometimes real life nickname that the bass player in my first band started calling me back in the 90s. He said it sounded like chunks of meat were coming out of my amplifier.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: What is your nickname and how did you come by it.

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:19 pm

bump
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:00 am

My high-school math teacher said "*insert my real name here* is already a cynical old man!", and it stuck. I was perfectly willing to embrace my curmudgeonly nature, so I embraced it.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:26 am

A 2 year necro-bump. Cool.

I've had so many nicknames over the years, despite an unusual first name (that 99.9% of people mispronounce).

The oldest is "toilet bowl," because it rhymed with my name, courtesy of my sister.
"Michigan Maggot," because natives in WV, in my experience, *hate* people from northern states.
When children learned anatomy it then changed to "p**sy hole." I was not fond of it.
"Bush," was another, due to my hair often being wild/unkempt. It also related to the previous nickname for obvious reasons.
"Grassy Knoll," because they thought it was cute, and had part of my name in it.
Later on, it was "Muscles," or "Sasquatch," due to hitting a massive growth spurt, and lifting weights.
Some job nicknames were Clippy 2," on account of being a source of information/training for an IT helpdesk.
"Know it all," for the same reason as above. Meant in a light-hearted way.
"Null," because it sounds similar to my name.
"No," People couldn't pronounce the L part. The joke then became "No doesn't always mean no."
My dad called me "Buddy," after Buddy Holly.
"Canoli," my CB handle, given to me.
"Duck Hunt," because I competed in a Duck Hunt video game tournament once, and only missed 1 shot.
My screen-name is often shortened to just "Cow," and has been used in real life on occasion.

There have been many others that I can't even remember.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Mine is the same as my internet name. It comes from two sources.

I have an older sister and when I was young I would go to her parties. One night, some dude thought my name was 'Doug'. Everyone thought it was funny and it stuck.

I also used to be heavy into skateboarding. I could pull some crazy sh*t back in the day day and a group of guys called me 'The Doctor'. 1+1=2 I guess.

I've used it online since there was an online.

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: re: What is your nickname and how did you come by it.

Postby Tabare777 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Back in the old late-70's early 80's glory days of NYC subway graffiti, when cars like this

would run thru the Bronx and Manhattan and blow daily commuters out of their suits on cold winter mornings, I was one of those hordes. (The guy who did that whole car, btw, Rich "Seen" Mirando, lives across the street from me, and has his tat parlor around the corner).

ANyhow, it was common for people to put Mister, Sir, Doctor, etc, before their names, so MIster Turn, Herr Doktor Turn, Doc Turner, Kid Turner . . . a thousand permutations. As I grew older it became something of an alter ego. I'm a published writer and columnist and in one of my (unpublished, sadly) novels there's a character named Jimmy Turner.

Brosef, I was a writer as well but in Sydney 80's!!!

https://instagram.com/p/BBtE7OLKHiR/

My nickname - I used to post videos on YouTube under my real name Rodrigo Fernández and peeps would look me up and instead find a Mexican Crooner with the same name.
To be found more efficiently, I used my second name Tabare and because I at the time had 3 x 7 string guitars(2x Gary Kramer Turbulence T36 & R36 plus DC747), I became Tabare777
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:57 am

You iz one down boy, Rodrigo.. sweet piece. Does the piece itself say Flaps?

I remember when that particular style of curled up, tucked-in 3D started taking off in NYC.. there were some pieces by Lady Pink (oh the stories from my high school years I could tell) along with Sane (RIP)/Smith in key places down on the Lower East Side that got a lot of attention and launched it.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks brother, the peice says K132 (Kagent132) the Leti tag on the left is for my sister and the Flaps tag on the right is my friend's tag, she was an awesome writer, a little dedication because both of them had passed.
I always dug Seen, when I visit the US in a couple of years I'll be staying in NYC for some time and I'd love to get a tat by Seen and maybe meet you as well.
I hope to meet a few of my fave players while I'm there too like Kurt Rosenwinkle and hopefully down to NJ and meet Pat Martino
Tabare777 WEBSITE

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 am

Seens tat parlor is right around the corner from me, and Seen lived right across the street from me for years. Rich spends most of his time in Paris these days, though I do see him when he pops back in town. He's got his studio right next to his tat parlor.

The six train yard (the yard you see in Style Wars with Rich walking around inside and saying he spent more time in there than he did at home, which was true; the workmen liked his work so much, he'd go in there in the late 70's early eighties during the, for him, safest time: a sunday afternoon. He'd walk right into the yard thru the front with his sack full of cans (probably with his brother Mad, maybe Dust or PJay or JV13 with him), that's my home line and the yard is between the two stops I use to go to work every day. He'd go in there and do whole cars during the broad daylight and the "workbums" (as they were called back then) would just work around him and pop by to admire his work. He'd usually piece there, and he also like to hit the Zerega Avenue layups.

Another cool story. This piece (a pretty late piece in his chronology on the NYC subways):
Finishing up after sunrise

You know who took those flicks? THE NYTPD TRANSIT POLICE. They asked him to do it to mark the retirement of the two famous vandal squad cops Kevin Hickey and Conrad Lesnewski, the famous (back then) Hickey & Ski. (Ski had busted me in 1979 for writing, the old bastard). So they brought him the boxes full of good cans and promised him protection and asked him to come up with something great, and they would present it to the two DT's.

So one morning, probably a Saturday AM or Sunday AM at sunrise I'm leaving my high school sweetheart's house (she lived with her dad just off of Zerega Avenue.. he worked nights and usually came home between 9-930am, so I would slip in after he left, lay up for the evening, then leave at sunrise). I get upstairs on the uptown side of the Zerega avenue station to go home, and there's richie piecing away this whole car, looking really uncomfortable. He's right there in the station piecing a layup parked on the middle track, and the car he's hitting isn't even down the line between the stations, which was always the sane and normal way to hit layups, so you'd have a long vantage point in either direction before anyone could pinch you after they came up on either platform.. it's right there in front of the main station, right in front of the steps where you come up onto the platform, in fact. The action shot of rich piecing shows the edge of the platform where people would be standing waiting for the train, the yellow line is the edge of the platform where the photographer is standing. I think the cops (plainclothes) saw I wasn't anything to worry about because of my age and didn't stop Rich. I said what's up to him, assumed the other guys were "adult" writers like Rich that I'd just never happened to meet before and asked if I could stick around. "We'd rather if you didn't," they (who turned out to be cops) said.

It was only later that Rich told me the full story behind that piece, which I think he was sworn to secrecy for awhile by the TPD.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Wow man, thanks so much for sharing this, incredible stuff and awesome stories, Seen was a massive influence on us when started and all the way through!
Tabare777 WEBSITE

Return to The Backstage Lounge