Just cool wood

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Just cool wood

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:02 pm

I thought of that too when I took down a tree, but didn't have the space to let it dry for 2 years, and didn't want to spend the couple hundred dollars the closest lumbaryard would have charged to kiln dry it. :(

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:47 pm

And the thought of being cold in the winter gets me back on track. :D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 am

spudmunkey wrote:I've always liked Olive wood but I have no idea what's it's properties are.

Some write ups:
Tonewood data source:
Olivewood Olea europenea, Mediterranean Olive
Gold to black in color, can be highly figured, dense, oily, beautiful golden brown lumber with brown and black streaks running through it. These trees are usually only harvested when they are too old to produce olives or are damaged by disease or nature. Olives are usually pruned to keep the olives close to the ground so long lengths in olive are uncommon. Olive can also come with tiger striping and burl.

Wild Olive Wood - (Olea capensis macrocarpus) A rare hardwood/tonewood from Zambia. Beautiful colors, contrast and light figuring combine to yield exquisite beauty. The extreme density, (approx. 1.05, very similar to Ebony), yields bright tonal qualities, making Wild Olive a desirable tonewood.

Specific gravity 0.89, 4.6 wt/board foot

Goodall Guitars

Olive Wood

Origin: Europe and eastern Africa

Density: 990 - 1050 Kg/m3

Characteristics: Heartwood is a cream or yellowish brown, with darker brown or black contrasting streaks. Color tends to deepen with age. Olive is somtimes figured with curly or wavy grain, burl, or wild grain.

Details: Olive trees are commercially important throughout the natural regions where they grow. The olives harvested from the trees are made into olive oil. Beautiful colors, amazing contrast and light figuring combine to yield exquisite beauty. The high density, which is similar to Macassar Ebony, yields rich, full and balanced tonal qualities, making Olive a desirable tonewood. A historical Biblical wood.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Jet black raw tone ash... Conference table. :lol:

20180201_132346.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:43 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Jet black raw tone ash... Conference table. :lol:

20180201_132346.jpg

It has more of an open, clear tone -- better for single coils, including during live shows at concert volumes.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 pm

An interesting note... in San Francisco, there used to be a concert venue where my office currently sits. Our conference room is exactly where the stage used to be. U2, Meat Loaf, KISS, ACDC, Etc have all performed here. And now, in the place of this hallowed ground in terms of music history, there is a wood print plastic laminate conference table in an office furniture company's office.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:18 am

Doctor Turn wrote:So ya think that alder is a plain unfigured wood good only for colored/opaque finishes?

I give you--one of the coolest alder superstrats on earth (unless the guy is mistaken and it's ash.. which based on the figure wouldn't totally surprise me):

Not only is it clear on alder, it's a satin finish on alder, which usually doesn't bring out the figure the way a "deep clear" poly does. Really cool Bolt Plus. Rosewood board. Hardtail. Looks like it might be a 1 pc body. Wicked.

Ah to have limitless disposable cash. Ah to be wealthy.

That one is Ash, for sure. The light color of the wood (Alder is typically a little darker) combined with the huge grain contrast. I've spent plenty of time around Ash, Hickory, and Black Walnut trees (I used to cut them down and split them as a young teen).

If you look at the grain patterns in the blue guitar, they're the same type, and also gorgeous. This guitar just makes me smile. This is a shot of my personal C/K collection as it is today.

The green one I believe is also Ash, based more on weight, though the grain is pretty mild, and Alder looks pretty similar. Under brighter light, however, the contrast comes out, and it looks very much like Ash.

We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Your'e absolutely right, that's most likely ash and alder is mostly a snooze; I was just talking about my love of alder as a tonewood over on the Tele thread, but aside from the occasional freak cut with some figure in it, most of it looks pretty plain with sutle grain patterns like so:

Which is why I'm into solid color, painted alder Teles and Strats. Prefer alder because of its way huge sound for those 25.5 scale Fenders.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to The Backstage Lounge