BBS3.0 Posting Test Area

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Admin
Kiesel Guitars BBS Administrator

Re: BBS3.0 Posting Test Area

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm still tinkering with the image settings. The issue is, if there's unlimited (or even large) image uploading capabilities, it will fill up the allocated space we have on the server. The old uploader was limited to about 200K in size, but the images were dynamically resized, so a 5 MB image because 200K. Still, there were over 50,000 images uploaded - over 2 GB in data. So, 50,000 5MB images is, what? 2 1/2 terabytes? Whatever it is, it's a *lot*. More space than we have on the server. Plus, if a post has a bunch of large images that have to be downloaded when someone is viewing, it'll be slooow.

The software does not have a built-in capability to resize the images (it'll resize the dimensions, but not the physical size of the file). I've been researching modifications to this, but I'm more concerned about security and spammers and that people can actually log in and post and what not first.

But like I said, I'm still working on it (and 50 other things - seriously, I have a list of at least 50 or 60 things I need to/want to tweak/fix, and the BBS is a tiny part of what I have to do every day). I don't expect everything to work perfectly immediately, especially since there's only one person working on this - but I'm working on it as fast as I can.

And the number of images in a post (5, evidently) is just the default when the software is installed. Upping that is easy enough - just a matter of asking. I'm sure there are other defaults in the thousands of possible settings that can/should/might need to be adjusted - I just haven't dug into every single nook and cranny yet; too many things to do, not enough hands to do them all.

So, be patient. It'll get there. Just going to take a little time to shake everything out.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:23 pm

Admin wrote: I just haven't dug into every single nook and cranny yet.

What?!?! In a brand-new-to-you software, you haven't memorized the user's manual front-to-back yet?!?! Playing too much Pokemon Go, or something?!?! To busy doing your "actual job you're actually paid to do"? Pfsh...sell-out. :lol:

The image sizing of the uploader is easy to understand...but the confusing thing is the image size (not file size) limit for hot-linked images hosted elsewhere. It's only like 810 pixels wide for embedded images hosted on Photobucket, for example.

I tried putting this image in my "Building a new PC" thread, but it wouldn't let me.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p37/ ... gxirqx.png

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:26 pm

That's something I've seen before (seeing forums resize to forum reqs, as spud said above), and was expecting something like that to kick in. Expecting the user to go into paint or Microsoft Office or something like that and resize everything just to suit a forum is just too much work.

Cameras nowadays default to quite nice rez, and especially for something like a 1972 all original guitar w a 1 pc body (+ neck) you really want to get in there and show it off. I never have had to play with the settings to reduce the camera on my Nexus 6P, so I would have to get in there and fiddle around just to take forum pics, and then another optimal set of pics for my friends elsewhere.

Again.. bummer. I don't expect folks to go clicking on link after link. But I doubly don't want to use the forum's storage space to host pictures of a non Carvin/Kiesel axe; that should understandably be for company branded instruments. They shouldn't be paying money to host pics of some ancient Hagstrom from my old guitar fetishes.

But the usual Photobucket share links that I've used since I joined.. all the pics of my koa 150, the Super Swede, other things... not allowed to do that any longer.

EDIT: and once again, I'm not talking about uploading an image... I'm just talking about linking an image in from photobucket with a share url. Preserving bandwidth, is what it's designed for, I guess.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Strange thing is that my old posts retain the images that have been linked in from Photobucket-- like here:

viewtopic.php?p=619097#p619097

When I put the new bridge in at work, I took pics w the same camera and the pics, which are the same size as the ones of the Hagstrom HIIN OT that I'm trying to link in today, still are successfully being displayed.

Again, they're not being hosted by the BBS, but photobucket. I just want to have the forum display/embed them in the post, but now it's saying the NEW pics are too large and would need to be resized. So i guess the old ones get a pass, but no more new ones linked in at that size.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:44 pm

I think I may have it sorted.

IMG_2233.JPG

That's a 3MB image, 3264 X 2448 px (taken with my phone). With the tinkering I've done on the upload process, it uploads to 516kB. Not great, but not bad, and certainly better than 3MB. I'll probably keep tinkering with this to get it optimized (time permitting), but at least it seems to work now more-or-less as it should. I've upped the max upload to 5MB - not sure if that's enough; I'm using the size of the pic taken on my iPhone as a baseline.

I also upped the max number of images to 10 (but I haven't tested that yet).

I'm sure as time goes by, there will be more issues like this that need to be sorted - the old BBS took years to get to where it was - I've been working on this one for 6 days (admittedly, around the clock for 6 days - but still, only 6 days).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:45 pm

You were probably doing that wile I was tinkering with the settings. Try it again and see what happens.

Doctor Turn wrote:Strange thing is that my old posts retain the images that have been linked in from Photobucket-- like here:

http://kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtopic.p ... 97#p619097

When I put the new bridge in at work, I took pics w the same camera and the pics, which are the same size as the ones of the Hagstrom HIIN OT that I'm trying to link in today, still are successfully being displayed.

Again, they're not being hosted by the BBS, but photobucket. I just want to have the forum display/embed them in the post, but now it's saying the NEW pics are too large and would need to be resized. So i guess the old ones get a pass, but no more new ones linked in at that size.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:10 pm

It let me do it for like a second. Now all my images are getting the same "Your images may only be up to 810 pixels wide.
Your images may only be up to 810 pixels wide.
Your images may only be up to 810 pixels wide."

Message.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:10 pm

dn640-smaller.jpg

An 800px wide version of the same image.

Because the source image is smaller than the max size (810 px), the quality is dramatically better. Hm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:16 pm

I see that, and that is correct - and image inserted using the IMG button cannot exceed the width of the template - however, surely there is a way to make *that* resize, as well. Still tinkering.

Doctor Turn wrote:It let me do it for like a second. Now all my images are getting the same "Your images may only be up to 810 pixels wide.
Your images may only be up to 810 pixels wide.
Your images may only be up to 810 pixels wide."

Message.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:17 pm

This is making me loco. It works here and there (as above), then I go down to that forum, edit and load in the pics, and then I get the same error message.. like the third time now.

The back of the axe above is a fullsize shot, somehow that took. It displayed three of my shots at one point... then went back to saying they were too big.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:This is making me loco. It works here and there (as above), then I go down to that forum, edit and load in the pics, and then I get the same error message.. like the third time now.

The back of the axe above is a fullsize shot, somehow that took. It displayed three of my shots at one point... then went back to saying they were too big.

I think that's sorted out now.

Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Huge linked image (using the IMG tags).

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:43 pm

That works wonderfully!

Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:06 pm

I'm awesome.

You guys are going to have fun with this.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Image :woot:

Looks like it's working. I'll put some up down on the thread later. Heading home now.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Bundy
Location: N. Carolina Carvin Institute for the Musically Insane, V3 Ward

Postby Bundy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Meanwhile, backstage at the gig...

donotapprove.jpg
~Bundy Reverbnation~
Carvin guitars!

RIP Carolyn Ann "Bundywoman" 8/9/1963-10/13/2016 Soulmate

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:57 am

Bundy wrote:Meanwhile, backstage at the gig...

donotapprove.jpg

Awesome meme! Where ya been?
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Bundy
Location: N. Carolina Carvin Institute for the Musically Insane, V3 Ward

Postby Bundy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:34 am

wickid wrote:
Bundy wrote:Meanwhile, backstage at the gig...

donotapprove.jpg

Awesome meme! Where ya been?

My friend, I've been in the darkest place you could imagine. :( But know this, I've decided to be a guitar player again.
~Bundy Reverbnation~
Carvin guitars!

RIP Carolyn Ann "Bundywoman" 8/9/1963-10/13/2016 Soulmate

Return to The Backstage Lounge