Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:38 am

spudmunkey wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:Yeah, and it has SO many people and moves so QUICK.

My biggest beef is that there's no archive. I think about once a week, someone posts about SD multiscale pickups, the screw-sticking-out vader bridge question, if Satin will gloss over time, etc. With no way to search or even browse subtopics, it has to start the whole conversation over again.

The endless tonewood debate on there is my beef. I would love to spread a little basic knowledge of how inconsistent guitar pots are, among other things, but really don't want to incite a virtual riot. A credit to the BBS is that I've seen several threads and posts about wood choice, and things seem quite civil, perhaps even without moderation.

Really, though, the many questions of which wood combo sounds best with Lithiums or (name your favorite brand model) is a monotonous. Get the wood that makes you feel happy. The rest will fall in to place.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:01 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:Yeah, and it has SO many people and moves so QUICK.

My biggest beef is that there's no archive. I think about once a week, someone posts about SD multiscale pickups, the screw-sticking-out vader bridge question, if Satin will gloss over time, etc. With no way to search or even browse subtopics, it has to start the whole conversation over again.

yeah, that satin/gloss thing has caught my eye

i tend to ignore the vader bridge thing, as i play bass exclusively- but have seen that too.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:19 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:i tend to ignore the vader bridge thing, as i play bass exclusively- but have seen that too.

I was briefly browsing there earlier today and noticed the Vader bridge screw thing. I don't think people realize just how the tuners work.

In another, far-off, deleted thread, the BBS was called an echo chamber (at the time, and specific thread), but it seems that, under examination, the FB group is much the same, albeit with other topics. Too bad there's no sticky section to point people to.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:22 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:i tend to ignore the vader bridge thing, as i play bass exclusively- but have seen that too.

I was briefly browsing there earlier today and noticed the Vader bridge screw thing. I don't think people realize just how the tuners work.

In another, far-off, deleted thread, the BBS was called an echo chamber (at the time, and specific thread), but it seems that, under examination, the FB group is much the same, albeit with other topics. Too bad there's no sticky section to point people to.

Regulars know well the BBS is not an echo chamber. :) But it has been humorous to watch the BBS problems show up in spades on the FB platform -- people are people.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 pm

It has exhibited some echoes, partly depending on who is posting, though overall I agree. The FB feed looks like an exercise in repetition. I wonder if the moderators of it are hairless yet, or else ignore it.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:06 pm

I think they are two different definitions for "echo chamber." One is the same topics being brought up over and over and over again, but the other more likely usage of it would be an ideological echo chamber. Which...I mean...this is owned by the company and is a branch of their marketing, populated by people who are already interested in the brand. So of course our responses to things could seem like an ideological echo chamber.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:39 pm

I mostly ignore the facebook. Too much crap on there to follow anything. I can keep up with the BBS. I can't keep up with all the stuff on their facebook.

It also gets wwwaayyyy too dumb at times.

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:56 pm

The beauty of the BBS is that folks actually try out their various ideas and then are willing to discuss their findings. I value the assessments of many folks here because they are based in real usage, or at least trial usage. Music and Science are beautiful together.
I don't know about the Facebook. Never been there.Nor shall I.
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:13 pm

skully13a wrote:The beauty of the BBS is that folks actually try out their various ideas and then are willing to discuss their findings. I value the assessments of many folks here because they are based in real usage, or at least trial usage. Music and Science are beautiful together.

Just stick your head into a sack of cats. Same thing.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:24 am

Doctor Doug wrote:
skully13a wrote:The beauty of the BBS is that folks actually try out their various ideas and then are willing to discuss their findings. I value the assessments of many folks here because they are based in real usage, or at least trial usage. Music and Science are beautiful together.

Some of the videos posted of people playing licks are kind of neat, though most fall into the ultra-modern prog-metal-djent genre. It seems the Lithium honeymoon phase may be passing over there. Of course, die-hard enthusiasts are legion, but I have seen so many pickup swap questions that is is very much like sticking one's head into a bag of cats. Definite turnoff to me.

Ah well, the BBS is still around, and there are plenty of good and helpful folks on here. Still the friendliest forum I've ever been on.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:38 am

Doctor Doug wrote:

But bro! That's K-Fam!

When I saw that term being applied at an opening of some random post, I knew this really wasn't my ideal destination. Some of that Family stuff wigs me out and gives me the ill vapors.

I pop in when the wind is right and the conversation is with the right bunch of folks. I've also made some nice web acquaintances there. But I do prefer this BBS by a lonnnnnng mile.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 am

If it were not for this Board, I would likely have never bought my first Carvin nor would I have come back time and time again to order other models. Carvin / Kiesel guitars are terrific instruments, but there are just so many other great manufactures and models out there that I would also love to own. So, it's the chatter on this Board that keeps my focus on Kiesel.
Last edited by Omsong on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 am

Doctor Turn wrote:But bro! That's K-Fam!

When I saw that term being applied at an opening of some random post, I knew this really wasn't my ideal destination. Some of that Family stuff wigs me out and gives me the ill vapors.

I pop in when the wind is right and the conversation is with the right bunch of folks. I've also made some nice web acquaintances there. But I do prefer this BBS by a lonnnnnng mile.

But.....family...... bro....and stuff. :soapbox:

Truthfully, I find much of that family stuff to be nauseous as well. I am an enthusiast, not a loyalist. If I can make like-minded friends, so be it (and bully for us who can get along). I wouldn't mind a gathering of "carvinites," (now probably called "Kieselings") to meet some of you people in person, have a good laugh, and maybe play some music. Actually, that'd be quite fun.

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:20 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:But bro! That's K-Fam!

But.....family...... bro....and stuff. :soapbox:

Truthfully, I find much of that family stuff to be nauseous as well. I am an enthusiast, not a loyalist. If I can make like-minded friends, so be it (and bully for us who can get along). I wouldn't mind a gathering of "carvinites," (now probably called "Kieselings") to meet some of you people in person, have a good laugh, and maybe play some music. Actually, that'd be quite fun.

Word.
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:40 pm

The problem with the BBS - with all of them, anymore, really - is that it's such a limited group. Without actually running through the last week or month worth of posts, I'd guesstimate that 95% of the posts here are made by about a dozen users. I might even be overstating the number of regulars.

The folks here are wonderful, thoughtful, helpful, and a pleasure to converse with - but they're a really small subset of Carvin/Kiesel owners.

As with Walmart and local "general stores," Facebook has pretty much written the death notice of web forums.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Casual Madman wrote:The problem with the BBS - with all of them, anymore, really - is that it's such a limited group. Without actually running through the last week or month worth of posts, I'd guesstimate that 95% of the posts here are made by about a dozen users. I might even be overstating the number of regulars.

The folks here are wonderful, thoughtful, helpful, and a pleasure to converse with - but they're a really small subset of Carvin/Kiesel owners.

As with Walmart and local "general stores," Facebook has pretty much written the death notice of web forums.

The smaller numbers is what makes it tolerable. Who really wants to have a conversation with 5000 people at a time? It's awful.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:20 pm

/\ BINGO!

That's precisely what makes it a pleasure. It's an actual conversation, rather than yelling out in a crowded auditorium where only those just nearby you can hear you.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:/\ BINGO!

That's precisely what makes it a pleasure. It's an actual conversation, rather than yelling out in a crowded auditorium where only those just nearby you can hear you.

My favourite thing on facebook is when people post stupid questions in guitar groups.

"What kind of strings do you use?" Really? I get that you're curious but are you actually going to read responses from 50, 000 people?

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:/\ BINGO!

Spot on!! :applause:

I like the pics of the day. Not much else. The ocassional live stream if I'm free.
I'll occasionally answer a question that pops up and I can answer.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:Really? I get that you're curious but are you actually going to read responses from 50, 000 people?

Do you mind if I paste that reply the next time that question comes up? I can credit your user name if you'd like. H :laughhard:

Return to The Backstage Lounge