Show Your Full Collections!

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 16082
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:24 pm

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh? :lol:

User avatar
amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1094
Joined: Oct 2012

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby amon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:42 am

I don't possess the physical energy to properly comply with this request, so here's the lazy version.


Image

User avatar
DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 423
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Hawaii

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby DesmoBob » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:23 pm

amon wrote:I don't possess the physical energy to properly comply with this request, so here's the lazy version.


Image


I don't see any guitars. Just a bunch of cases.

Just kidding. :mrgreen: This is epic!

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:27 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:I

Anyhow, the girls.. two long scale, 3 Gibson scale...:


I wanted to take this opportunity to share something about myself that I've learned from this forum...particularly from you.

For all my years of guitar playing I've never paid attention to the technical aspects of the instruments I play. I usually just see a guitar that I like the look of, play it and then decide if I hate it or not.

The reason behind liking or disliking an instrument never made a difference to me. It would either sound weird or feel weird and I just wouldn't like it.

I never gave scale length a thought until I started hanging out on this forum.

Now I look at this picture of all my electrics and I realize that the only one with a longer than a 24.75 scale is the one Carvin. You're right. There is something magical about that scale length!


Wow Doug, I somehow missed this post. That's super cool, I'm glad my mostly mental/cranky yammering had some good to offer. So it's the longer strat scale you mean that has magical properties, right?

They're both great, but the attack and bloom on the long/Fender scale just has something very musical about it, really artful. And although there's no substitute for that slinky grind of a thick Lester, they can get very muddy. especially with many humbuckers out there today from Gib and others. It's really striking how Fenderish those old 1959 bursts sound. Combination of that great old wood and PAF's. Harmonic overtones for DAYS! Which is why those Supers solve my problems for heavy, hog/maple single cuts with P90's and humbuckers, especially when it comes to cutting through a mix but retaining that girth..

But still I could coo for days about the vintage Carvin and the vintage Hagstrom, and that LP Special.. all 24.75 Gibson scale.

amon wrote:I don't possess the physical energy to properly comply with this request, so here's the lazy version.


Image

If that soft case (denim?) next to the lava lamp on the right side of your flick is what I think it is, I have that (or one just like it). It's actually the case that that singer from Texas Massacre sent the '72 HIIN OT in, when I bought it from him last fall.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1480
Joined: Oct 2013
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
Doctor Doug wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:I

Anyhow, the girls.. two long scale, 3 Gibson scale...:


I wanted to take this opportunity to share something about myself that I've learned from this forum...particularly from you.

For all my years of guitar playing I've never paid attention to the technical aspects of the instruments I play. I usually just see a guitar that I like the look of, play it and then decide if I hate it or not.

The reason behind liking or disliking an instrument never made a difference to me. It would either sound weird or feel weird and I just wouldn't like it.

I never gave scale length a thought until I started hanging out on this forum.

Now I look at this picture of all my electrics and I realize that the only one with a longer than a 24.75 scale is the one Carvin. You're right. There is something magical about that scale length!


Wow Doug, I somehow missed this post. That's super cool, I'm glad my mostly mental/cranky yammering had some good to offer. So it's the longer strat scale you mean that has magical properties, right?

They're both great, but the attack and bloom on the long/Fender scale just has something very musical about it, really artful. And although there's no substitute for that slinky grind of a thick Lester, they can get very muddy. especially with many humbuckers out there today from Gib and others. It's really striking how Fenderish those old 1959 bursts sound. Combination of that great old wood and PAF's. Harmonic overtones for DAYS! Which is why those Supers solve my problems for heavy, hog/maple single cuts with P90's and humbuckers, especially when it comes to cutting through a mix but retaining that girth..

But still I could coo for days about the vintage Carvin and the vintage Hagstrom, and that LP Special.. all 24.75 Gibson scale.

amon wrote:I don't possess the physical energy to properly comply with this request, so here's the lazy version.


Image

If that soft case (denim?) next to the lava lamp on the right side of your flick is what I think it is, I have that (or one just like it). It's actually the case that that singer from Texas Massacre sent the '72 HIIN OT in, when I bought it from him last fall.



I meant the Gibson scale. It's amazing that without even knowing what scale length was, all my guitars save one ended up with a shorter scale. I love it!
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Ah! Since you singled out the Carvin in Fender scale I thought you were complimenting that scale (but I did think that would be odd since everything else you have is 24.75).

They're both great--Fender/25.5 is tighter and tougher on your fingers since it's not as slinky (Gibson/shorter scale, slinkier strings), but I'll say this: my goal with my Super Swedes is to throw a touch more definition and bite into a Les Paul, and it works miraculously with both buckers and P90's.

But at the same time each one of my Gibson scale electrics are just killers. The LP Special is obvious; the Carvin is the ultimate Les Paul Professional/Recording axe crossed with a DC Special; and the old growth Birch body on the HIIN with those incredibly thick-yet-transparent Custom 58 vintage humbuckers (it's like a magic trick, to get a meaty humbucker full of Kossoff style PAF overtones to sound so defined and cut through a mix so well). Lundgren did a great job replicating that sound for the Northens.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
Wilso
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Apr 2017

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Wilso » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Gosh my collection seems so small but here it is. One very old Carvin DC127, one brand new Kiesel DC600, and I have two acoustics not pictured because no else posted their acoustics so I won't waste your time with mine. Carvin Kiesel all day! :woot: :woot: :rockon:
IMG_20170514_122451_210 resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[img]IMG_20170514_122451_210[/img]

User avatar
gmzachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby gmzachman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Been awhile since I posted something. Looking forward to 2018 and my 10 year Carvin/Kiesel
anniversary.

GZKieselcollection.jpg


GZ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
fatfretty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Feb 2007

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby fatfretty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 am

I will do a family portrait when the SH6 gets here in mid August. In the mean time I'll list the herd.
1. 84 DC 150 W/Kahler Pro
2. 87 V220 w/Kahler Pro
3. 88 DC120 with the pointy inline headstock that was only made one year.
4. mid 80's vintage DN612.
5. 2003? AE 185 (my first Carvin)
6. 2005? DC 145
7. 2014? SCB7 (It was the first one ordered by a customer with the new inline headstock that they introduced))
8. Ibanez AG 86
9. Dean thinline acoustic
10 Squier 60th anniversary clalssic vibe strat (gold)
11. Electra Tree of Life carved body with inlaid fret board, and lawsuit headstock.
12. Espana classical guitar that has to be close to 70 years old.
13. Squier mini strat that lives in my locker at work so I can practice at lunch., or when ever time permits.
14. Dean Vendetta
15. Fullerton Bass
16. Morelli collapsible travel guitar.
The Next Two are more for decoration than playing.
17. Jay Turser Serpent model L.P. copy in purple burst with the dragon inlay/decal? on the fretboard.
18. Jay Turser Shark guitar (the smaller one that is about the size of the mini strat)

Obviously going to need to use a wide angle lens when I take the picture.
I'm fuzzy on the dates for the ones I purchased. I moved, a few times in the last 15 years, and lost some paperwork along the way.
Image

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:24 pm

That will be seriously hydrochloric-epic...
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7422
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:57 pm

claro catalog.jpg


claro fretless.jpg


claro gumby.jpg


claro neck.jpg


claro sh 2.jpg


claro sh ff.jpg


claro SH.jpg


green DC.jpg


ruby CT.jpg


Kit, 3 Cobalts, and the beloved jet black 04 LB short, but you get the idea. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Dat 550! I need to seriously sit down with a walnut guitar. In terms of the major tonewoods (staying outside of the exoticism of bubinga, coco b, myrtlewood, etc) it's the wood I have the least experience with.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7422
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Dat 550! I need to seriously sit down with a walnut guitar. In terms of the major tonewoods (staying outside of the exoticism of bubinga, coco b, myrtlewood, etc) it's the wood I have the least experience with.


Dude, that build is simply gorgeous. I kid you not.

Here's a story on the sound. My youngest is a very serious guitar player. It's all ears and hands for him. He's a player. Anyway, when his mom finally let him put this thing around his neck, then strum it through the Vintage 16, he had a total body event. His eyes, jaw, facial flush --- to this day my wife says, "He had a look that no one should have with a guitar." It was truly a mid-brain moment. The metal covers/tube amp/14 radius/semi-hollow/walnut......it just about killed him.

And now a few years later, we're in the waiting room for his first semi-hollow.

But yeah that Claro top is stupidly beautiful. :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

User avatar
Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1480
Joined: Oct 2013
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:03 pm

An updated picture since my new one showed up today.

Image
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Heh heh nice! How's she sound?
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1480
Joined: Oct 2013
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:49 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Heh heh nice! How's she sound?


Fantastic! Another rehearsal tomorrow to really put her through her paces and then I'll try her out onstage Thursday.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10686
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby ElfDude » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:40 am

Here's the Carvin family (though the SH445 looks more stock now, and the C66 has black pickups). I don't have any group shots of my non-Carvins.

Image
Image
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am

Hey Elf (you already know I like the functionality of your Carvin collection, and how each one fits in its own spot to do its own unique thing, which is what I'm doing with my collection, very little sonic overlap), I just caught the fact that your 225 has one of those Schaller 1 pc 456's instead of a TOM (or Kahler). How do you like it, esp vs a straight Gibson style 2 pc w stop tail?
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10686
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby ElfDude » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:32 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Hey Elf (you already know I like the functionality of your Carvin collection, and how each one fits in its own spot to do its own unique thing, which is what I'm doing with my collection, very little sonic overlap), I just caught the fact that your 225 has one of those Schaller 1 pc 456's instead of a TOM (or Kahler). How do you like it, esp vs a straight Gibson style 2 pc w stop tail?


It's a cool bridge. I love the fine tuners.
I also feel like there's less string tension than on any of my other Carvins (all strung with 10s).
But that's probably more due to the scale length than the tailpiece.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Show Your Full Collections!

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:34 am

Yeah it's a true 24.75.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds


Return to The Backstage Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests