Tips for playing bass

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Tips for playing bass

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:13 am

I know there are some players on here who will gladly share some tips.

As bass players, let's leverage the power of the Lounge for our playing. There are tons of guitarists out there - some bands even have more than one! LOL. But bassists don't encounter each other as frequently.

What are your tips for playing bass?

One powerful tip I picked up and shared with Praiser (hi John) was to play close attention to the END of each note. How does the note end? Is there a crisp conclusion to the note (regardless of note length)? A long decay is not what was meant by this. Rather, the person I heard it from was talking about the leading edge of notes getting all the attention, but with the role of bass, the end of each note deserves equal consideration and deliberateness. When a note played by the bass is ended correctly, it serves the song better, and serves the next note better.

One clip I'll share is an unusual one. This one is all about mechanics, rather than theory. It's for upright, but the information really got me thinking concerning electric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHZbSE95HTk
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Tips for playing bass

Postby Greg Emm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:49 am

One of the most informative documents I've read about playing bass, one I return to again and again, was penned by gnp:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49291&p=634505#p634155

That entire thread is an excellent resource for bass-playing tips.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Greg Emm wrote:One of the most informative documents I've read about playing bass, one I return to again and again, was penned by gnp:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49291&p=634505#p634155

That entire thread is an excellent resource for bass-playing tips.

I second this, it's really good stuff.

riff
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby riff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Gumby great thread topic. With the home studio being more and more prevalent, many of us have started to play bass too. Note tuning, intonation and getting in that groove is most important to me. Of course I have much to learn, but that the fun of it. Looking forward to other tips from this thread.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:09 am

Added this to that other thread, and repeating it here:

I'd like to add a note or two (pun) about something I've been doing lately - as it occurred to me that some players might benefit from considering it/giving it a try.

Don't laugh at me, ok?

For players like me who play fingers and nothing else, ever, did you ever notice that at times your ear wants just a bit more initial attack than your fingers and pickup are able to deliver? Try this. On your right hand, place your thumb and index finger together as if you are holding a pick. Now, use the nail of your index finger like it IS a pick - strum DOWN on and over the string.

I've done this for a few years now. Sometimes just on certain notes. I love the results I have come to obtain. I've developed enough taste for the results that I no longer consider learning to use a pick - picking one up and putting one down would be impractical.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Return to The Backstage Lounge