D-Standard tuning

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

D-Standard tuning

Postby brento73 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:37 pm

I thought about putting this in the guitars section, but figured it might be better here, since it's not SPECIFICALLY related to Kiesel guitars, just MY guitar.

If I say 'D-Standard tuning', does that make sense? It seems that the people I meet at local guitar shops, other players at work, etc. find the concept confusing.

The typical response it "Oh, drop D? You must play metal, yeah?" Well, sometimes, sure, but.... NOT drop D. There's no 'drop' in my tuning.

E-standard they understand(just the 'normal' tuning of a guitar), and even 'Eb standard' seems to be a 'thing' that people recognize, being a half-step down all the way across. A lot of bands have used this, with Alice in Chains and Smashing Pumpkins coming to mind off the top of my head.

For some reason, following the same logic another half-step to 'D-standard' seems to derail things. I don't understand why. Maybe it's just a super uncommon tuning?

E -> D
B -> A
G -> F
D -> C
A -> G
E -> D

Anyway, just find it strange that this seems confusing, but maybe it is?

LB75Player

Re: D-Standard tuning

Postby LB75Player » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:31 pm

I've always thought about the examples you're talking about as "Full step down" and "Half step down". I've never heard them referred to as D-Standard or Eb Standard tuning.
LB75, LB75P, Icon 4, AC50, BK40 Fretless Kit, GK1P Kit (Ordered)

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Yeah, I often explain it that way, as well, but for some reason once people figure out the low string is D, they think 'drop D'. If I let them play it, they think the chord shapes are all weird, but they're just the normal shapes... that sort of thing.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:05 pm

I've heard D standard (and C standard, and B standard [my usual tuning -- yes, on a 6 string], and even lower...) many times. I can't imagine anyone not understanding the concept.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:51 pm

brento73 wrote:Yeah, I often explain it that way, as well, but for some reason once people figure out the low string is D, they think 'drop D'. If I let them play it, they think the chord shapes are all weird, but they're just the normal shapes... that sort of thing.

D standard
Drop C tuning.

I know exactly what you mean. Those guys are just bozos :wink:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:47 am

I also just call such tunings "down a half step" or "down a step". I've heard it called D Standard before and that's just confusing. However, I think it's weird that we call the tuning where the guitar is tuned down a step with the 6th string tuned to C "Drop C", since it's not the only string that has a lower tuning. It seems to me that "Drop C" tuning should really be CADGBE. It is what it is, though. Let's not confuse it more than it already is.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

jojoman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jojoman » Tue May 15, 2018 10:55 am

The way i see it is...

Standard Tuning = The standard way of tuning a guitar no matter what the reference point of the 6th string. E, D, C... etc.
Drop Tuning = Dropping only the 6th string a full step down no matter what the reference point of the standard tuning.

Mick Mars of Motley Crue has been using D-standard his whole career.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed May 16, 2018 1:17 pm

I've heard, and use both, but usually get the question about drop D as well (which I can count on one hand the times that I've tuned a guitar that way).

I actually think the name "drop D" is wrong because the person is not dropping the D...but the E to a D. Nevertheless, the idea perseverates about drop tunings.

Also, I've noticed plenty (a very non-descript and generalized integer) of guitar players rely on colloquialisms to communicate, and sometimes inaccurate descriptions (the "tremolo" on a guitar, anyone?) perseverate because of such reliance.

The real fun is when these alternate tunings are locked down, as in a double-locking Floyd style system, and one attends an audition, expecting the tuning difference (from being told that) only to arrive and be told that the band no longer plays in that tuning, but in standard. Transpositional madness ensues, and that can help separate the players from the playees (IE: those who know guitar faces/poses, but not really how to play).

This was a worthless post, but I had fun writing it.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:.... Nevertheless, the idea perseverates about drop tunings.

Also, I've noticed plenty (a very non-descript and generalized integer) of guitar players rely on colloquialisms to communicate, and sometimes inaccurate descriptions (the "tremolo" on a guitar, anyone?) perseverate because of such reliance.
This was a worthless post, but I had fun writing it.

Thanks, I just got 11 down and 37 across in last weekend's New York Times xword puzzle! :D :lol:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to The Backstage Lounge