The Bizarre V220 Gamble of Chicago Music Exch..

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

The Bizarre V220 Gamble of Chicago Music Exch..

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:36 am

I just had to create a little knock-around thread for this subject, which some here may be familiar with from a post I put up in "Vintage and Unusual Carvins" about a few months ago.

I posted about this paint-splattered 1985 Carvin V220 that a dude obviously had custom painted himself at some point... and had now put up on Reverb.

Here's the axe. Some will remember:

Decent condition vintage V220. I'm partial to these as set necks, since that deep warm sound of the Explorer comes a good bit from the set neck construction, which gives it a nice full fat rounded SG/Les Paul slab body sort of a tone.

Anyhow, the guy's price was $799. It sat for about 7 months. Then it sells on the 9th of this month.

OOPS! Look who bought it and is now putting it up for sale, back up on Reverb:

"Carvin V220 Pastel Splash".

Price? $1200 :lol:

I love how they just made up "Pastel Splash" as though that was an option in 1985. Black? White? clear natural maple? natural koa? . . . or PASTEL SPLASH? :laughhard: This is evidenced by the full description where modifications are indicated:

Summary
Finish: Overspray on headstock.

Body Material: Maple Body

Body Details: Two piece maple body.

Neck Material: Maple Neck

Fingerboard Material: Ebony Fingerboard

Neck Profile: D

Neck Thickness (IN): 1st: .81" 12th: .98"

Fingerboard Radius: 10.00

Nut Width: 1-5/8 in

Neck Details: Single piece maple neck with ebony board.

Electronics: Original pickups and wiring.

Pickup Measurements: bridge: 11.9K neck: 4.7K

Hardware: Non original Floyd Rose locking nut.

Modifications / Repairs: Headstock appears to have been oversprayed after removal of original string lock (not included).

Case Details: Original hardshell case.

Cosmetic Condition: Moderate play wear. Small finish chips on ends of horns and around the high E tuner. There is checking around neck heel and a hairline finish crack tracing the heel joint that is non-structural.

Tech Notes: Plays well with low action. Frets are clean with little wear.

In some ways this is completely ordinary (buys equipment, tries to turn it right around for quick profit, a process as old as the hills)... but as a Carvin watcher, via the size of the markup and the guitar itself and the way it's just laid right up... gives me Lulzeronies.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: The Bizarre V220 Gamble of Chicago Music Exch..

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:58 am

This thing has been in my watch list for a while, just because it makes me chuckle. Must've been some special paint option. Ya know, we have sparkle finishes, prismatique color shift, and happy-go-pukey.

It also makes me laugh due to the price. They should just hang it up in the store as modern art.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:01 pm

Also, I don't know if you caught this Cow.. but this caught my eye--

Pickup Measurements: bridge: 11.9K neck: 4.7K

That is an N with some downed DCR! The bridge puts it right where a T should be, but that neck is a little shy of 4 k short of status quo (naturally degaussed via father time?).

Probably still sounds nice. I have a degaussed neck pickup on one of my old HIIN DC's, those vintage Hag PAFs I yap on about are all wired at 8.2K, and they almost all come in there, precisely. One of my 2 vintage dubcuts is just shy of 5K on the neck, so it's lost almost half of its DCR. It's a little more delicate, but VERY rich and round, and a wonderful vintage tone. I'm glad it's on the neck rather than the bridge.. great for chording.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:10 pm

I'll bet it's got a coil either split/disconnected, or it's shorted out with 4.7k reading.

The DCR is in the area for a T, or an SD with some mangled wingdings.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Mother
g2xexyssgs7bqgtoxi0q.jpg

Father
designerSeries1.jpg

Child
p0xlp3vfzqugtgp9ofku.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X, '18 JH6, '18 A6H

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:35 pm

By the way, not everyone prices their V220 like a crazy person. :wink:

(https://reverb.com/item/14926105-carvin ... earl-white)
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X, '18 JH6, '18 A6H

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:00 am

Heh, the first seller of that (the one who sold it for a reasonable price, not $1300 guy) is the guy I bought my B.C. Rich from. I noticed it when crawling through his other gear for sale, and was feeling really tempted until I noticed that it was a tremolo instead of a fixed bridge. Obviously not the original finish, but I dig the hell out of it. I like bright and attention-grabbing guitars!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Change it out to a new hybrid Pro, and you have both legit hardtail and a full rocking 2 way dive bomber...
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 am

Cynical wrote:... was feeling really tempted until I noticed that it was a tremolo instead of a fixed bridge.

Yeah, but it's a Kahler - a functional, workhorse trem without the finicky persnicketiness of a Floyd.

:stir:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:18 am

Casual Madman wrote:
Cynical wrote:... was feeling really tempted until I noticed that it was a tremolo instead of a fixed bridge.

Yeah, but it's a Kahler - a functional, workhorse trem without the finicky persnicketiness of a Floyd.

:stir:

One of these days I'll try a Kahler and see how it compares. Not that I'm a Floyd hater, but it has its drawbacks; primarily the raising/lowering of the string action with extreme movements. Same with basically any other floating vibrato, except for cam-based and rocking bridge designs. The Ibanez ZR mitigates much of it, but that isn't exactly the most available design, plus has a weakness in the axles, which can break.

I'm waiting to see a torsion-bar spring and a combo cam-based fulcrum style that solves the string height change problem. Oh, wait, I have that design on a piece of paper, and never built one. Nevermind.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Indeed. I don't know of Cas Madman caught it, but I was saying the same thing.. the new Kahler Hybrid Pro will drop right into the screw holes of the old bridge, without any mods.. and like I've trumpeted a million times you can lock it down into a hardtail with a turn of a grub screw, or have a bitchin dive bombing locker (and choose your saddle material, along with chrome, gold or black for the primary brass bridge) which imho nukes the Floyd for convenience, ease of use and adjustability. The PITA nature of the Floyd (with no offense to its users, this is merely my own short temper with the knife edges, amount of wood hacked out of your guitar, and tuning/stringbreaking/etc agonies) makes it no contest. Especially when using a reinforced string to level the tuning stability playing field between the two bridges.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:54 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:I'm waiting to see a torsion-bar spring and a combo cam-based fulcrum style that solves the string height change problem. Oh, wait, I have that design on a piece of paper, and never built one. Nevermind.

I have doodled up a design for a tremolo bridge that locks the strings on the saddles, while the entire bridge assembly "floats" back and forth, rather than up and down. Solves the issue of wood loss without the big, ugly armature of the top-mounted Floyd.

Unfortunately, my Dad the machinist retired and passed on before I could get him to machine a template for me.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Casual Madman wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:I'm waiting to see a torsion-bar spring and a combo cam-based fulcrum style that solves the string height change problem. Oh, wait, I have that design on a piece of paper, and never built one. Nevermind.

I have doodled up a design for a tremolo bridge that locks the strings on the saddles, while the entire bridge assembly "floats" back and forth, rather than up and down. Solves the issue of wood loss without the big, ugly armature of the top-mounted Floyd.

Unfortunately, my Dad the machinist retired and passed on before I could get him to machine a template for me.

I've had great success getting Parts Badger out of wisconsin precision CNCing parts for me for work, but it's not cheap and what you send them has to be fully fleshed-out design wise, or else it gets REALLY expensive.

Return to The Backstage Lounge