Bass player(s) you dig and why

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Bass player(s) you dig and why

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Go for it! Let's see what people have to say.

I'll let someone else go first.
:mrgreen:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Bass player(s) you dig and why

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:46 pm

As a guitar player, I probably have different favorites than most bass players. I don't get the same thrills from Marcus Miller or Jaco or Chick Corea as I do from Lea Claypool or Justin from Tool... but it probably has more to do with songwriting that appeals to me more. JPJ is way up there, too (yes, his solo stuff, too...not just Led Zep).
Last edited by spudmunkey on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Billy Sheehan. He's pretty much the Steve Vai of bass players, and I find his playing very exciting to watch.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:01 am

Well I am a metal head but I am not a fan of death metal at all really. More of a progressive djent guy. Having said that though, Hugo Doyon-Karout plays a 6 string fretless (Kiesel's by the way) and the guy is simply amazing. Just go youtube him. Freakin nuts.

Favorite of all time though is Ryan Martinie (Rhino) from Mudvayne.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat, Jackson Dinky 7 with BKP Juggernauts, 2017 Dingwall NG-2 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I started as a bass player, and I was big into Iron Maiden, so Steve Harris. The man is a freakin' legend.
Toby Sammett in the early Edguy stuff as well, he gets **** on a lot for being too cheesy or sounding too similar to himself, but like, he plays power metal of all things. It's the cheesiest, samiest stuff, and I love it.
Adam Neely, 'cause he's helped give me a really cool sense of bass as a complementary instrument that's not just doubling guitar.
Dave Hollingworth, from Toska and Dorje, 'cause his bass tone sounds like a head-on collision between two bullet trains in the best way possible.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:59 pm

spudmunkey wrote:As a guitar player, I probably have different favorites than most bass players. I don't get the same thrills from Marcus Miller or Jaco or Chick Corea as I do from Lea Claypool or Justin from Tool... but it probably has more to do with songwriting that appeals to me more. JPJ is way up there, too (yes, his solo stuff, too...not just Led Zep).

You might like Squarepusher then, if you don't know him already. :wink:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:22 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:As a guitar player, I probably have different favorites than most bass players. I don't get the same thrills from Marcus Miller or Jaco or Chick Corea as I do from Lea Claypool or Justin from Tool... but it probably has more to do with songwriting that appeals to me more. JPJ is way up there, too (yes, his solo stuff, too...not just Led Zep).

You might like Squarepusher then, if you don't know him already. :wink:

Well aware. :)

Oh, and how could I have forgotten about the bass player of one of my favorite all-time bands? I suppose it's because i don't really think of him as a bass player.

Mark Sandman from Morphine.

Skip to 1:25
https://youtu.be/f1BEjGet8M8

https://youtu.be/8KkUINW0rg0

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 pm

spudmunkey wrote:. . . Mark Sandman from Morphine . . .

Okay so I'd never listened to these guys before but geez this has more energy than some punk bands. I dig this on so many levels.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:37 am

Charles Mingus, but primarily for his compositions rather than his playing (which was superb in any case).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3blRYHUdhOQ

Patrick O'Hearn, for a lot of things but sealed via his double bass perf here in The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution. The whole song is just insane but I loaded in the time for his impossible bass solo in that song in that link in the sentence. Here's a link for the whole song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myBbd1Bs_5A&feature=youtu.be

Peter Warren, owing mostly to his work with DeJohnette's Special Edition, like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QG6DA9Y8QI

This whole "Bass Is" album he did for ECM in the 70's, really encapsulates that post-bop experimental vibe in NYC back in that day. Someone uploaded the whole album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwwWyICNRtM

An unexpected listing I'll make my last (because I could go on and on):

Jimi Hendrix, who often played bass himself in the studio on his albums. My absolute favorite song of all time by Jimi also features him on bass, some percussion (Mitch on drums), and sharing panning and fading duties on the board with Eddie Kramer during mastering. Also probably one of the most famous uses of the old Hagstrom 8 string bass.. some of the accents with bass that sound like guitar is playing along with it is actually the octaves on each bass string (like a 12 string guitar):
https://vimeo.com/208085174
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 am

Flea- He's an original and he grooves. You Outta Know, Aeroplane, Higher Ground, Breaking The Girl.

Sting- I like his work with the Police. Simple but a cool groove. Walking On The Moon, Roxanne.

Boz Burrell from Bad Company. Again, that groove. Nice walking lines at the end of Can't Get Enough

Bernard Harris Cool solo bassist that plays a piccolo bass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1ghtKzgvI

Ron Carter I so wish I could play stand up bass like he does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC_23jp_HGo

Kevin McCormick's work on the first 2 Melissa Etheridge albums. He had an interesting way of incorporating chorus and delay effects into rock songs without sounding like too much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnhMPrd1KXc

Robert DeLeo from Stone Temple Pilots. So many of his bass lines carry the song. Plus, I like that some of his lines are basically chords arpeggiated into a groove.

Mike Starr from Alice in Chains. Cool sounding grind

Patrick Dahlheimer from Live - Perfectly placed notes and rhythms. Locks in with the drummer better than almost anyone.
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X, '18 JH6, '18 A6H

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:14 am

What a great thread. :woot:

I like a lot of the players already mentioned here and appreciate learning more about others. Historically, individual tunes have been most influential to me, but players I really dig and often listen to include:

B. B. Dickerson (WAR)
Brian Ritchie (Violent Femmes)
Tony Butler (Big Country)
Jah Wobble
Tiran Porter (Doobie Bros.)
Tony Levin (especially the red, yellow & blue King Crimson albums)
Sebastian Steinberg (Soul Coughing)

So many others ... the greatest of the them all, to me, is Paul Jackson of Herbie Hancock's Headhunters line-up.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:59 am

Has anyone else mentioned that they dig dug?

Pun totally intended.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:24 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:. . . Mark Sandman from Morphine . . .

Okay so I'd never listened to these guys before but geez this has more energy than some punk bands. I dig this on so many levels.

He died while performing on stage. It was my birthday, and I was literally driving to buy tickets for their local show later in the tour when I heard the news he had passed on the radio.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Greg Emm wrote:What a great thread. :woot:

I like a lot of the players already mentioned here and appreciate learning more about others. Historically, individual tunes have been most influential to me, but players I really dig and often listen to include:

B. B. Dickerson (WAR)
Brian Ritchie (Violent Femmes)
Tony Butler (Big Country)
Jah Wobble
Tony Levin (especially the red, yellow & blue King Crimson albums)
Sebastian Steinberg (Soul Coughing)

So many others ... the greatest of the them all, to me, is Paul Jackson of Herbie Hancock's Headhunters line-up.

Not to be a bother, but can you say a little bit about why you like each one? :mrgreen:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Greg Emm wrote:Sebastian Steinberg (Soul Coughing)

Ooh, good one...Like Flea in my mind, even though he plays upright, he's got a very "bouncy" vibe that I dig.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:38 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:Not to be a bother, but can you say a little bit about why you like each one? :mrgreen:

Busted! Seems like I only follow half of the directions on anything lately. That new self-assemble china hutch is useless ... Happy to say a few words with hopes not to ramble.

B. B. Dickerson (WAR, The Lowrider Band): I once read an interview where Dickerson described how he came up with the "Cisco Kid" bass line, and he said he thought about the myth that the Cisco Kid never took off or lost his hat. So he devised a vamp that conveyed that kind of cool steadiness. So his image-based approach to composing is really cool. Also, his grooves are unassailable. Originally, he was one of those thumb guys. He plays finger style now, but his lines still retain that thumb feel (sturdy, anchoring the chords).

Brian Ritchie (Violent Femmes): His drives the melodies with his EB Earthwood. He plays aggressively, with a pick, and his fills are fluid without being flashy. He sounds to me like a fearless improvisor who focuses more on expression than he does on gear.

Tony Butler (Big Country): Another player who uses a pick. This band had such a unique sound with those soaring, reeling guitars playing over almost military-like drumming. He seems to be locked in with the drummer while complementing the melody and leads. He had an interesting compressed tone, too, that's both off-putting and alluring.

Jah Wobble: Coming from a punk background, he picked up a bass and taught himself to play. Assimilates a wide array of influences into his work. My favorite album is an exploration of Chinese opera and folk music. So his pursuit of this idea that any kind of music has room for a bass groove is cool to me. Great big tone. Plays one of those old Ovation Magnum boat anchors basses with the Belgian waffle-sized neck pickup.

Tiran Porter (Doobie Bros.): Range. In a bad whose music was rapidly evolving during his tenure, he always anchored the tunes with solid riffs that were subtle but essential.

Tony Levin (especially the red, yellow & blue King Crimson albums): Guy's like a crazy alchemist of bass. Mostly, I like how he seems to use the entire fingerboard in his playing. Maybe this is why he also plays the Chapman Stick. Funk Fingers? Levin will try and usually master any tool or technique that expands the sonic palette of the electric bass. Also, his index finger picking technique is awesome. So awkward but distinctive sounding.

Sebastian Steinberg (Soul Coughing): Like Spud said: This guy is a master of the bouncing bass line. Mostly plays acoustic upright. He's played on a lot of recordings with different kinds of artists, but his Beat Cafe grooves for Soul Coughing's samples-and-spoken-word compositions is my main exposure to his work. Like Dickerson, he is a bassist who really listens to every part of the song and plays lines that enhance all the other moving parts. "True Dreams of Wichita" is a great example of his ear.

Previously, I forgot Stephen Amazing who played with an incendiary combo called UPP that once supported Jeff Beck. YouTube "UPP Jeff Beck." This guy's chops will make your hair stand on end.

Speaking of chops, Paul Jackson is like the butcher at the meat counter of electric bass guitar. His reinvention of funk bass in a jazz context with the Headhunters is astonishing. Having clearly assimilated bass fundamentals, both musical and technical, into his DNA, his playing is intuitive and exploratory. He's the kind of guy who can destroy worlds with one note.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Greg Emm wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:Not to be a bother, but can you say a little bit about why you like each one? :mrgreen:

Busted! Seems like I only follow half of the directions on anything lately. That new self-assemble china hutch is useless ... Happy to say a few words with hopes not to ramble.

B. B. Dickerson (WAR, The Lowrider Band): I once read an interview where Dickerson described how he came up with the "Cisco Kid" bass line, and he said he thought about the myth that the Cisco Kid never took off or lost his hat. So he devised a vamp that conveyed that kind of cool steadiness. So his image-based approach to composing is really cool. Also, his grooves are unassailable. Originally, he was one of those thumb guys. He plays finger style now, but his lines still retain that thumb feel (sturdy, anchoring the chords).

Brian Ritchie (Violent Femmes): His drives the melodies with his EB Earthwood. He plays aggressively, with a pick, and his fills are fluid without being flashy. He sounds to me like a fearless improvisor who focuses more on expression than he does on gear.

Tony Butler (Big Country): Another player who uses a pick. This band had such a unique sound with those soaring, reeling guitars playing over almost military-like drumming. He seems to be locked in with the drummer while complementing the melody and leads. He had an interesting compressed tone, too, that's both off-putting and alluring.

Jah Wobble: Coming from a punk background, he picked up a bass and taught himself to play. Assimilates a wide array of influences into his work. My favorite album is an exploration of Chinese opera and folk music. So his pursuit of this idea that any kind of music has room for a bass groove is cool to me. Great big tone. Plays one of those old Ovation Magnum boat anchors basses with the Belgian waffle-sized neck pickup.

Tiran Porter (Doobie Bros.): Range. In a band whose music was rapidly evolving during his tenure, he always anchored the tunes with solid riffs that were subtle but essential.

Tony Levin (especially the red, yellow & blue King Crimson albums): Guy's like a crazy alchemist of bass. Mostly, I like how he seems to use the entire fingerboard in his playing. Maybe this is why he also plays the Chapman Stick. Funk Fingers? Levin will try and usually master any tool or technique that expands the sonic palette of the electric bass. Also, his index finger picking technique is awesome. So awkward but distinctive sounding.

Sebastian Steinberg (Soul Coughing): Like Spud said: This guy is a master of the bouncing bass line. Mostly plays acoustic upright. He's played on a lot of recordings with different kinds of artists, but his Beat Cafe grooves for Soul Coughing's samples-and-spoken-word compositions is my main exposure to his work. Like Dickerson, he is a bassist who really listens to every part of the song and plays lines that enhance all the other moving parts. "True Dreams of Wichita" is a great example of his ear.

Previously, I forgot Stephen Amazing who played with an incendiary combo called UPP that once supported Jeff Beck. YouTube "UPP Jeff Beck." This guy's chops will make your hair stand on end.

Speaking of chops, Paul Jackson is like the butcher at the meat counter of electric bass guitar. His reinvention of funk bass in a jazz context with the Headhunters is astonishing. Having clearly assimilated bass fundamentals, both musical and technical, into his DNA, his playing is intuitive and exploratory. He's the kind of guy who can destroy worlds with one note.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Double post. Sorry.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:57 am

Joseph "Lucky" Scott on "Curtis/Live!":
What unbelievable tone and feel. Unbelievable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7qtatp ... rAo_wnjqoL
What the crap? This bass playing is so funky and smooth and tasty and cool....it's just super, super sick to me.

Esperanza Spalding:
Geeze. Playing such lines based on scale and chord tones, melody and harmony, forming your own accompaniment? Really? Yes, really. Geeze.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtXo4tiZxs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aRC3YY3svs
What the crap? Super good beyond super good.

Scott LaFaro:
This approach to playing bass is so sublime in its note choices and athleticism, as a function of song melody, that is - to me - an end to the instrument as an instrument. It's the last book and last chapter of what the instrument is and does. What the crap? This track and this album make me wish I had 100 lifetimes to dedicate to bass so I could reverse engineer his thinking, and write a series of textbooks, with sound samples, of what bass is, how to think, and how to play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rARGPAkIcw4

more later, i am sure...these are the 3 on my mind this morning

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 am

I'll throw in a few I like who haven't been mentioned yet:

John Paul Jones - Just as important to defining the Zeppelin's sound as Bonham's drumming
Jon Entwhistle - Possibly the first "lead bassist"
Lemmy - 'nuff said
Rob Grange - His phased bass lines added depth and character to Uncle Ted's inspired wankery

Last but not least, Carvin/Kiesel signature endorsee, Roy Vogt. I first heard Roy at the old McBride's Music & Pawn on the square in Denton TX, while he was in the jazz program North Texas State U - he was test-driving an Alembic bass, playing DiMeola's "Race with Devil on Spanish Highway." Even a 16-year-old garage band guy could see, Roy was something special.

Return to The Backstage Lounge