Pulling out Volume Knob for Passive Disconnects the Battery?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

jeff6845

Pulling out Volume Knob for Passive Disconnects the Battery?

Postby jeff6845 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 pm

If I leave the bass plugged in, can I pull out the volume knob for passive to disconnect the battery? Or does it not disconnect the battery, causing it to drain faster than being unplugged?

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Pulling out Volume Knob for Passive Disconnects the Battery?

Postby MikeBass » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 pm

jeff6845 wrote:If I leave the bass plugged in, can I pull out the volume knob for passive to disconnect the battery? Or does it not disconnect the battery, causing it to drain faster than being unplugged?

I remember hearing that the battery is always on when the cable is plugged in, active or passive
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

I've heard that, too. It's the presence of the cable inserted in the output jack that determines if the battery is "on" or not. Best bet is to leave it unplugged if you're not going to play it for awhile.

jeff6845

Postby jeff6845 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:02 am

It sounds like the design is to bypassing the preamp circuitry but keeping that still energized. I would prefer to have the switch perform both the bypass and cut the power. My guess is that Kiesel has not devised a way to prevent popping when switching from passive to active mode.

It would be nice to pull the volume out and turn it down, set it on the stand for a break; without unplugging.

Heavyduty

Postby Heavyduty » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:56 am

I was actually hoping I could rewire my new AW5 to make passive be in and active out, but it doesn't look to be possible without major rework - the push-pull pot is directly attached to PC board traces, not wired.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses