Mulling a VB5 order

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

marley's ghost

Mulling a VB5 order

Postby marley's ghost » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:41 am

So I'm close to ordering a VB5 - but here's the rub. I want to build one that sounds as close as possible to my beloved SB5000. Ideas?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Mulling a VB5 order

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:23 am

Since it's neck-through, I imagine they could do any pickup location you want, for a charge. There's no limits like there are on bolt-neck or set neck guitars. Do you remember what pickups were on your SB? Then i guess find out if they can still do that old control layout. I know they've got several different control options.

marley's ghost

Postby marley's ghost » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks spudmonkey. What other options would you recommend to capture the feel of the SB5000? ie neck, scale etc? Is the 30' 21 frets?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:32 pm

marley's ghost wrote:Thanks spudmonkey. What other options would you recommend to capture the feel of the SB5000? ie neck, scale etc? Is the 30' 21 frets?

I can't speak to the other specs, but the 30" scale is still 24 frets. They keep the body the same size/shape by pulling the bridge in, just like they do on the guitars with the 25.5 and 27" options.

34":

30"

marley's ghost

Postby marley's ghost » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Any chance they would make a 34" 22 fret? I have played a Steiny spirit 5 24 fret and I find my arm gets tired when playing lower frets for long periods of time.

I'm also looking at a PB5.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Ask them to put J99as pickups in it. That's J99a in a soapbar cover. They used to sell em. I'm sure they can/would do it with J99a or JVA.

However, I really like having radiused pickups on a five string. The original RAD J has a rounder, more vintage tone. Similar to the J99a.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:06 pm

marley's ghost wrote:Any chance they would make a 34" 22 fret?

I doubt it. The 22nd fret would need to be where the 24th currently is to have any benefit (unlike the Amos Williams signature, where they just lopped off the 24th because it was in his way), and that would mean programming (or hand-building) a unique taper, and extending the bridge off the back of the body even more...which would need a new body. So basically, and entirely new instrument.

But you specifically mentioned fatigue from playing the far-away low frets. I haven't played one so i can't say, but since the upper horn only extends out to about the 14-15th fret, compared to the 12th on most other models, it seems like the Vaderf bass is going to naturally hang further towards your fretting hand's side, putting the nut further out. :think:

marley's ghost

Postby marley's ghost » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks Toptube. It's also the ergonomics of the SB5000 that I like better than any bass I've owned. I sometimes play 4 or more hours at a gig and with the SB I never get fatigued. I'm not sure if a 24 fret is going to work as well for me.

marley's ghost

Postby marley's ghost » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 am

I would like some honest feedback on this build. I play in a cover band that is mostly modern/classic rock with some funky stuff. 95% fingerstyle and 5% slap.

Kiesel Vader build.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:41 pm

marley's ghost wrote:Thanks Toptube. It's also the ergonomics of the SB5000 that I like better than any bass I've owned. I sometimes play 4 or more hours at a gig and with the SB I never get fatigued. I'm not sure if a 24 fret is going to work as well for me.

If you want something which will feel similar ergonomically, you should get a JB5.

The Vader is VERY different from anything else Kiesel makes.

No headstock means a very different feel for your fretting hand.

Shorter upper horn means it hangs differently than their other basses. I didn't find the hang to be bad, but it is definitely a lot different than My Icon bass.

marley's ghost wrote:I would like some honest feedback on this build. I play in a cover band that is mostly modern/classic rock with some funky stuff. 95% fingerstyle and 5% slap.

Kiesel Vader build.PNG

that seems like a solid build. Alder isn't pretty, but it sounds great. I'm a big fan of Alder bodies. Alder body with Maple will give you more of the classic tones. I've had two Kiesels with Walnut necks and its my opinion that a maple neck gives a bit more midrange focus to the tone, compared to Walnut.

Red flame with maple board will look nice.

What about pickups? looks like you chose the dual coils? Is there a reason you didn't do the single coils?

In my opinion, a Vader is one time when you should get a fancier logo. I would probably choose a gold drop shadow, for this build.

straplocks?

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Well, alder certainly isn't ugly. It's just maybe not as flashy as many of the other woods. My latest build (for which I'm eagerly awaiting) has an alder body, which I chose mainly because of price concerns. But I like it enough on my current Carvin that I'm happy to go with it again.I guess the money I saved went directly to the 5-piece neck.

marley's ghost

Postby marley's ghost » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm

This is just my first swag at a build. Definitely not final. Might look at some other woods.

Single coil vs dual - undecided.

I use Schaller strap locks.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm

marley's ghost wrote:This is just my first swag at a build. Definitely not final. Might look at some other woods.

Single coil vs dual - undecided.

I use Schaller strap locks.

If it were my build, I would keep the alder body.

and I would get EVO gold frets. I ordered those on the Vader I sent back. The EVO gold frets were great.

SEANZILLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SEANZILLA » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:03 am

marley's ghost wrote:Thanks Toptube. It's also the ergonomics of the SB5000 that I like better than any bass I've owned. I sometimes play 4 or more hours at a gig and with the SB I never get fatigued. I'm not sure if a 24 fret is going to work as well for me.

Really? I have a few Carvin basses and just picked up an SB5000. So far, it's the only Carvin I've played that I didn't like. It actually bothers my wrist on my fretboard hand. I've never played another 5-string (I'm lefty. It's an availability thing) before, so maybe it's just not my thing.
Carvin B24S, LB-20, AC-40, SB5000, BK40 fretless. Schecter Diamond 8-string, Kramer ST-7000
Carvin BX-700 w/2 BRX10.4 NEO cabs
Boss GT-10B

Check out my band Therium here: https://www.reverbnation.com/therium1

marley's ghost

Postby marley's ghost » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:34 am

SEANZILLA wrote:

Really? I have a few Carvin basses and just picked up an SB5000. So far, it's the only Carvin I've played that I didn't like. It actually bothers my wrist on my fretboard hand. I've never played another 5-string (I'm lefty. It's an availability thing) before, so maybe it's just not my thing.

I've owned an LB75P, XB75P, MM Bongo5, MM Stingray 5 and Hohner B2AV and the SB5000 is the best sound and most comfortable bass for me. And I'm lefty too. What Carvin worked better for you?

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 pm

If you want to get as close to your SB as possible, consider the radiused single-coil pickups and the VC2 (one volume control for ea. pickup) option for your electronics. They can do it, trust me I know.

SEANZILLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SEANZILLA » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:04 am

marley's ghost wrote:
SEANZILLA wrote:

I've owned an LB75P, XB75P, MM Bongo5, MM Stingray 5 and Hohner B2AV and the SB5000 is the best sound and most comfortable bass for me. And I'm lefty too. What Carvin worked better for you?

I've got an AC40, B24S, LB20, and a B40. I have no issues with them. Like I said, I've never played another 5 string. It might just not 'work' for me.
Carvin B24S, LB-20, AC-40, SB5000, BK40 fretless. Schecter Diamond 8-string, Kramer ST-7000

Carvin BX-700 w/2 BRX10.4 NEO cabs

Boss GT-10B

Check out my band Therium here: https://www.reverbnation.com/therium1

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses