opinion: Ramps

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Crinocerous

opinion: Ramps

Postby Crinocerous » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 am

What are your thoughts on the growing trend of ramps between PUs ?
sb5000 fretless mahogany
sb5001 spalted maple/mahogany
V69k on the way!

lucien
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: opinion: Ramps

Postby lucien » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:52 pm

They're an ok idea, but like anything else, they have drawbacks. The major ones are they're actually quite difficult to make and nearly impossible to adjust. You'd think that all you need is a piece of wood and a radius block, but it takes a surprising amount of measurement, craftsmanship, etc. to DIY a good ramp. After it's made, it's usually non-adjustable. If it's too high you have to mill it down which is awful without the right tools. if it's too low, I guess you got to start over. Either that, or do the layers of velcro thing or shims or pads etc. which is awful....

The far better solution is radiused faces on the pickups themselves. This gives two advantages: you can adjust the height by just adjusting the pickup, though there's a minimal tone/volume change when you do that. The other is you can pluck directly over the pickup with the benefits of a radiused surface, which gives a much clearer, defined sound vs plucking somewhere else.

Of course, Carvin has the right idea here, which Brian Bromberg introduced on his signature basses :).

Now all Carvin/Kiesel has to do is put radiused faces on their big HB pickups, then my life will be complete.

LS

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Good points. I actually saw a Keisel being sold on, i think, reverb that had a ramp. It looked good but figured it must have been aftermarket add on. Just made me curious.
sb5000 fretless mahogany
V69k on the way!

OakParkMusicGuy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby OakParkMusicGuy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:20 am

I absolutely love having a ramp. It feels like plucking over the pickups and stops the fingers from grabbing the string too much. It doesn't get in the way of anything technically or musically for me.

I had it made by David King / dknob.com. He was great to work with and had me take measurements so it was perfect.

OakParkMusicGuy

IMG_1848.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dr. love

Postby dr. love » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:58 pm

I made one for my lb76...and after a while took it off. I decided it wasn't necessary for what I do, it didn't create any real benefit (or disadvantage either for that matter). Maybe if I had the radiused pickups it would make more difference in the feel.

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 am

OakParkMusicGuy wrote:I absolutely love having a ramp. It feels like plucking over the pickups and stops the fingers from grabbing the string too much. It doesn't get in the way of anything technically or musically for me.

I had it made by David King / dknob.com. He was great to work with and had me take measurements so it was perfect.

OakParkMusicGuy

IMG_1848.jpg

Wow that looks nice. really love big pickups for this same reason. have a feeling I'd like the ramp
sb5000 fretless mahogany
V69k on the way!

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Ramps are not for me.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:58 pm

They are delicious oiled and grilled, or in soups.

rlindsey0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rlindsey0 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Personally, I don't need them, don't want them, and would never have them on a bass of mine. But so what? If YOU like them, get one.

Bass Viking
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bass Viking » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:56 am

I had one made and I found it didn`t make any difference. I pluck softly and anchor my thumb on the string above the one I`m playing (I move my thumb around a lot), so there was no benefit to having the ramp.

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 am

for the anti-ramp crowd, do wide pickups instill thoughts of dread as well? :evil: because I love my Sb5001 with the MM style pickup because the playing over that with low action makes me warm and fuzzy. or is the disdain for ramps a look thing, the dig-in restriction, or cover your top aversion? just curious
sb5000 fretless mahogany
V69k on the way!

rlindsey0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rlindsey0 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Crinocerous wrote:for the anti-ramp crowd, do wide pickups instill thoughts of dread as well? :evil: because I love my Sb5001 with the MM style pickup because the playing over that with low action makes me warm and fuzzy. or is the disdain for ramps a look thing, the dig-in restriction, or cover your top aversion? just curious

Since you did ask....

For me, it's primarily a matter of having no requirement for them. I don't need an anchor, so they don't offer me anything. I mainly just don't want anything on my bass that isn't doing anything useful.

But secondarily ... yeah, I gotta admit that I don't like the way they look either. Even the best of them look like kludges to me, sort of like the sheets of corrugated metal attached to the cars on recent episodes of The Walking Dead LOL. Despite what I said above, I might put up with something that wasn't terribly functional if it looked really great. But not something that gives me no useful function and also doesn't look good.

Again, none of this matters if you like ramps and have a use for them. Your hands, your money, your bass.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses