Brian Bromberg's new CD in 2018 featuring the B2 basses

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Brian Bromberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Brian Bromberg's new CD in 2018 featuring the B2 basses

Postby Brian Bromberg » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Yo Kiesel and Carvin bass players! I am finally starting to record my new funk and groove based CD which is featuring my B2 4 and B2 5 basses in a huge way. I am having a blast getting the groove on and playing many different B2's with different tunings, so darn cool! It is really interesting to go back and forth between the J99A's radiused single coils and the new radiums. I'm curious to get your feedback on what you like better? I have to tell you that so far in the music the J99's have that more scooped jazz bass sound which is great for slapping. The radiums which have more meat and fatness seem to really shine with more finger style playing. That is what I am hearing while I am recording. Do you guys experience the same thing? In the next few days I will try and post a sound clip of the different pick up sounds so you can hear what I am hearing. Love to get your thoughts. Great to be back in the studio getting funky! Film at 11....l

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Brian Bromberg's new CD in 2018 featuring the B2 basses

Postby MikeBass » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:32 am

Cool! Can't wait to hear the clips :rockon:
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

lucien
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lucien » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:01 am

Hey Brian, I got my B25S back when they first came out with the humbuckers that Carvin had at the time. I don't know how those compare to the new ones, but the bridge PU gives a good middle ground between the more pinched Jaco like sound of a single coil and the HB in my Bunny. My bass also doesn't have frets on it which helps give a little rounder, cleaner sound to the tone. I can't make a fretted bass sound good at all, unfortunately.

My bucket-list bass is a B24 with the new humbuckers in it, checkbook-willing :), so at that time I hope I can compare the older ones with the newer ones.

This is the only recording I have of my B25S, recorded a long time ago since I haven't been playing for the last couple years. This is into my small Roland practice amp with the iPhone leaning against the grill, no batteries in the bass and rear PU only. The idea here was a test to see how the bass sounds under the most terrible possible conditions I could reproduce, which was usually my typical gig back in the gigging days :). And sure enough the notes are nice and clean and audible even doing the worst possible thing to recover the sound.....

https://soundcloud.com/unclejane/more-bromberg-5

So yeah can't wait to hear how the new PUs sound...

LS

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:29 am

I have some basses with the J99A pickups, and I have to say that they are really versatile and great sounding when the the two pickups are blended together, whether equal or not. My ear doesn't care too much for the sounds I get when the J99A is soloed, be it neck or bridge. The new Kiesel Radium humbuckers are my preference because they have the upper end presence of a single coil and the warmth of a humbucker together, and they don't sound too thin to me when soloed. The Kiesel Radium pickups are to me what the "P90" pickup must be to some guitarists, the best of both the single coil and humbucker.

"Lucien", I listened to your soundcloud clips and I hope you get back to gigging someday if you're able and willing because the music world needs all the good bass players it can get! Take care.

Brian Bromberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Brian Bromberg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 pm

Hey Catman10, no question the radium pick ups are fatter and warmer then the J99's, really great for finger playing. I would love to hear them on my fretless basses as I only use the rear pick up on my fretless basses and they could certainly use some fatness with just the rear pick up being used. Definately a more modern sound then a single coil sound. It has been interesting recording as I recorded both pick ups on two basses to see which fits better in the track. That has been a trip indeed, to hear the difference and to be able to live with my decision on which to use? Massive learning curve I tell you!

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:50 am

Any idea when the CD might be available :?: :think: Sounds cool

lucien
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lucien » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:34 am

Actually, I'd like to hear the difference between the old radiused HBs in my B25S (red dot) vs the new ones. I also use the rear PU only about 99% of the time and as good as the existing ones sound, I'd like a little more fat on the sound if I could get it. I'm not talking replacing the PUs in it, that'd be on the B24 I'm going to eventually order.
That one will have the HAN finish over a maple fingerboard also, sort of my "bucket list" B24 that I've been planning on for several years. I love my 5 string but it sure is a little harder on my aging wrist :).

LS

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Looking forward to new Bromberg music. Thanks for the tip!

fizzchem

Postby fizzchem » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm

My kids love your music, especially my 10 year old daughter who plays piano. Her favorite album is "It is what it is" and the track "Elephants on Ice Skates". Very much looking forward to the new album.

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:07 pm

fizzchem wrote:My kids love your music, especially my 10 year old daughter who plays piano. Her favorite album is "It is what it is" and the track "Elephants on Ice Skates". Very much looking forward to the new album.

So cool :applause:
Start ‘em young :rockon:

EoganDubh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby EoganDubh » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am

Sounds great! Thanks for letting us know! I already have your performance at the Berks Jazz Fest in my calendar, too. Can't wait!
My latest project:
https://joeolnick.com/

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses