It's a mistake

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

fizzchem

It's a mistake

Postby fizzchem » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:08 pm

To only offer 5 string and 6 string in 34" scale unless you get multiscale.

35" scale for a 5 and 6 string basses should be the standard. Like the Ibanez BTB, the MTDs, Laklands, etc. The 35" scale makes the B string tight and articulate. Fodera makes most of their 5 and 6 strings 35" scale.

I'm tired of hacks telling me that the Fender 34" scale for a five string is acceptable. It's not.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: It's a mistake

Postby amon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:42 am

Carvin used to do a 35" 5-string. The XB75, I think it was called. Didn't sell very well.

Kiesel now does a 5- and 6-string in a 30-inch scale on the Vader.

A-Ro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby A-Ro » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:52 am

My G&L 5 string is 34” scale and has one of the best B strings I’ve ever played on (and I’ve owned a Dingwall).

Bass Viking
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bass Viking » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:48 pm

A 34" scale can have a great B string. e.g. my Warwick Thumb, Ken Smith, Sadowsky.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:31 am

Bigger mistake: only offering the multiscale on a Vanquish and not the Icon/Xcellerator.
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 am

Dometalican wrote:Bigger mistake: only offering the multiscale on a Vanquish and not the Icon/Xcellerator.

The Vanquish isn't their only multiscale bass. ;)
https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/jbm5

Their first multiscale bass was actually going to be the Icon, but after they were developing it for a long while, they couldn't get it to look/feel quite right.

Wanderingbass

Postby Wanderingbass » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm curious -- have you actually played a Kiesel bass? Or have you just settled on 35" as a magic number? I know a lot of people who have done that, despite the large number of pro gigging bassists doing quite well with 34".

I've got Lakland 35" hanging on my wall. The B is no more articulate than the 34" Kiesel or G&L, and overall the instruments are no match for the Kiesels in playability. I've known a few bassists who insist their 34" of whatever brand just won't manage the B, and almost every time it comes down to a simple matter of choosing the proper strings and doing a proper set up. And of course letting go of the mantra and simply experiencing it objectively.

As for "mistakes" -- Kiesel is running at very near capacity for their production facility. They seem to be getting on just fine. I get frustrated that they don't offer piezo for bass, won't make a classic j without the control plate, won't offer an all-around edge bevel (like the K-series guitar), won't install a midi system, no Zeus acoustic bass, etc. All things I've asked for and been told no. Sometimes been told repeatedly, because Chris is very patient. But they are turning revenue like mad, so I think they have an idea of what they are doing. Bass makes up a very small portion of their sales, and adding odd electronics or trendy scale lengths isn't going to increase sales enough to make it worth complicating the order/build process.

Just thoughts, I've owned a lot of basses over the years and when I get my first Kiesel it felt like coming home. Not every guitar suits every player -- how boring would that be? - so I hope you find what touches you.

el_Bajo_Verde

Postby el_Bajo_Verde » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:20 am

I'm a 5-string guy and I LOVE a 35" B. I'm waiting on a 35" or more bass from Kiesel! I will be the first to order :D I'd rather not get a multiscale unless it's headless

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 am

They DID offer a 35” scale. And then nobody ordered them.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 pm

fizzchem wrote:To only offer 5 string and 6 string in 34" scale unless you get multiscale.

35" scale for a 5 and 6 string basses should be the standard. Like the Ibanez BTB, the MTDs, Laklands, etc. The 35" scale makes the B string tight and articulate. Fodera makes most of their 5 and 6 strings 35" scale.

I'm tired of hacks telling me that the Fender 34" scale for a five string is acceptable. It's not.

Is there a reason you like a straight 35 Vs. A multiscale?

Kiesel does not yet offer any 6 string bass in Multiscale. You can get the Vanquish and JB in multiscale 4 and 5 string. The JB is a lesser fan than the Vanquish.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Have we yet seen a 4-string multiscale JB? And Jeff said something on Facebook about other headstock options besides the standard Sekou Bunch shape.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Personally, I like the SB headstock. However, I really like the Icon headstock on a Peanut Butter 5. And it would probably look good on a JB5.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Toptube wrote:Personally, I like the SB headstock. However, I really like the Icon headstock on a Peanut Butter 5. And it would probably look good on a JB5.

I agree on both counts. I think the SB (I don't think they call it that anymore, do they) looked way better on basses than it did on guitars. They had to tilt it down so that the tuners would line up with the straight string pull, and that threw off the shape. I think it works just fine on basses...but the Icon headstock is way better...I just wish they would still do the reverse (no idea why they stopped...)

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:01 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Toptube wrote:Personally, I like the SB headstock. However, I really like the Icon headstock on a Peanut Butter 5. And it would probably look good on a JB5.

I agree on both counts. I think the SB (I don't think they call it that anymore, do they) looked way better on basses than it did on guitars. They had to tilt it down so that the tuners would line up with the straight string pull, and that threw off the shape. I think it works just fine on basses...but the Icon headstock is way better...I just wish they would still do the reverse (no idea why they stopped...)

Have they recently refused you a reverse Icon headstock?

MS Vanquish basses get 'em by default...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:59 am

Toptube wrote:Have they recently refused you a reverse Icon headstock?

MS Vanquish basses get 'em by default...

My understanding is that they did stop allowing the icon headstock to be reversed for a couple years now. That's what I've had in my head for a while, but in a quick search, I can't find anything that would have put that nugget in my head. Multiscale likely only works well with the reverse, otherwise the headstock would have to be suuuper long. :think:

That said, if you go though the galleries for the Icon basses, there's only one with a reversed headstock, and it's an old photo. :think:

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses