Icon Bass build recommendation

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Icon Bass build recommendation

Postby Koshchei » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:54 am

I just went through this exercise and wound up with a Rickenbacker 4003SW.

A few things I've learned:

1) Go with single coils unless you have a need for humbuckers - basses are harmonically challenged to begin with, so you need everything you can get without cancelling out your high end.

2) 20 or 24 frets doesn't matter all that much. Your job as a bassist is fundamentally different from a guitarist... while you can add melody to your playing, your job is to link the kick drum and hi-hat to the chord progression by outlining the chords and following the drummer rhythmically. You'll be so busy deciding how to best go from a Cmaj7 to an F# half diminished in 13/4 in a way that serves the music that you won't be spending a lot of time shredding it up, unless you're a monster player like Jonas Hellborg, Brian Bromberg or Steve Jenkins.

3) Make sure your amp+cab can support the 27Hz low B well. Most cabinets start around 42-45Hz, which is already clipping the low E a little.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Icon Bass build recommendation

Postby Toptube » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Hot DAYUM the dealzzzzzz

this is pretty much exactly the ideal set of DeaLLLzzzz for another Icon. I got a new job but haven't started it yet sooo......gonna have to think about this one holy moly. :wall:

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses