Recommended Pickup Height for Radius Single Coil?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

jeff6845

Recommended Pickup Height for Radius Single Coil?

Postby jeff6845 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:15 pm

I have a V59K with those pickups and have been getting very low output. So low, that my passive precision bass with Fender original precision pickups has more volume through my amp even with the V59K through the passive setting on the amp (V59K is active mode).

My thought is pickup height, but the setup doc on Kiesel's site doesn't list those pickups, just these:

PICKUP CHOICES:
-SP2 Soap bar humbucker neck 3/32”
-SP2 Soap bar humbucker bridge 1/16”
-H50S J-type humbucker neck 3/32”
-H50S J-type humbucker bridge 1/16”
-J99 J-type Singlecoil neck 1/8”
-J99 J-type Singlecoil bridge 3/32”
-HB2 Alnico 5 humbucker neck 5/32”
-HB2 Alnico 5 humbucker bridge 1/8”

Pickups are probably close to the SP2 recommendation, and batteries are fresh and tested on a multimeter.

Volume is equally low on either pickups, and both. TMB controls are working, and it's not improved with putting the bass in passive mode. Trying to get back to some regular output levels.

Thought now is pickup height is wrong, maybe too close and impacting the string's ability to vibrate, or if not, then suspecting something is out on the preamp. If so, don't know if putting the bass in passive mode would be a reliable indictor.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Recommended Pickup Height for Radius Single Coil?

Postby Toptube » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Kiesel's radiused pickups have all been medium output. Sounds like your Fender has a fairly hot P pickup.

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Check inside the control cavity - there's usually a trim pot controlling output.

jeff6845

Postby jeff6845 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 am

The pbass pickups shouldn't be as their Fender's Original Precision pickups based on their '62 year. Who actually knows though as it has alnico 5's?

Thanks for the suggestion of checking the trimpot. I'll try that today.

jeff6845

Postby jeff6845 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am

There was a pot, labeled P5, on the EQ board. It was set to almost in the middle, and I moved it to almost to the next mark. So, if 5 is the middle, I resisted the urge to go to 11 and move it to 6.

I need to play more and see if there is any hint of overdriving. I could have gone to 7 or 8, but I thought to take it in steps.

BTW, the two opamp chips are OnSemi's MC33178 dual opamp for a total of 4. Low power with 0.15mW typical for Vio, and THD of 0.0024% as rated by On Semiconductors. The two pots on that board are Alphas. So the other two pots on the volume and blend board are probably Alphas as well. That board has the on-off battery disconnect circuit with the jack, but no active components that I can tell.

That last part seems odd as usually there is a first stage amp there like Pope which has a transistor.

I wonder if Carvin designed this preamp before the split?

ETA: There is a transistor on the volume board, labeled D1. I missed it. Makes sense as this is typical with transistor in the signal path and opamps for the EQ section.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:35 pm

before your adjustment, was the passive mode of the bass and the active mode a near match for output?

jeff6845

Postby jeff6845 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:39 am

Toptube wrote:before your adjustment, was the passive mode of the bass and the active mode a near match for output?

There was really no change, both were weak. I did notice the bridge pickup seemed slightly louder than the neck which I found odd.

rsnell22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rsnell22 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:25 pm

I have the single coils on an Icon 5.
I run DR Low Rider Nickels.
I ended up with the pickups closer to the G than the B.
These are the best pickups I have ever ran, both single coil and humbucking.

I set the internal gain just a bit hotter active than passive.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses