Why does Kiesel use their own Headpiece and not stock Hipshot on headless basses/guitars?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

basssalad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why does Kiesel use their own Headpiece and not stock Hipshot on headless basses/guitars?

Postby basssalad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 pm

[*]I own an Osiris 5 Bass. I was wondering if anyone knows why Kiesel made their own Headpiece instead of using the Hipshot one that matches the bridge.
Are there problems with the stock one?
You're able to use normal and double ball ended strings with the Hipshot headpiece.
It also would let people use thicker gauge strings?
I understand that DB ended strings aren't in abundance but with the popularity of headless instruments coming back in vogue, maybe Dunlop or other string manufacturer might be able to supply kiesel. If not they can still use standard strings.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Why does Kiesel use their own Headpiece and not stock Hipshot on headless basses/guitars?

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:30 pm

The Kiesel headpiece is held on more securely, I think. The standard Hipshot ones just bolt on to the front of the neck, while the Kiesel custom ones are screwed on to the end of it. It's also a good bit smaller than the standard Hipshot one.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Why does Kiesel use their own Headpiece and not stock Hipshot on headless basses/guitars?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:41 pm

I think a part of "screwed in from the front" issue is less about stability, and more about needing to to make the end of the neck bulkier, to provide enough "meat" for the screws to grab on to from that direction.

Also, the Hipshot's double ball benefit wouldn't be applicable to multiscale, or anything longer than their standard scale, and I don't think I've ever seen any 7 or 8-string sets. I also imagine they would want to use the same hardware for each string number variation, and not just offer the other one on the 6-strings.

On the earliest Holdsworth headless models, they also came with a headstock piece that could have taken double-ball strings, but they ended up switching over to this one.

Perhaps it's a more user-friendly design to their manufacturing process? No notch/ledge/shelf/rabbet: just a straight cut, and sand.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses