30 Bass Pedals; One Kiesel Bass

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bassist4Eris
Links/Contact:

30 Bass Pedals; One Kiesel Bass

Postby Bassist4Eris » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:28 pm

I came across this video today and was delighted to see the entire thing recorded on a Kiesel. Some pretty sweet pedals here too, and the player is also worth hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ife7YV1ycxg
Main bass: LB76W. Also have an LB76 and BK40A.
Live rig: BX500 head into a pair of BRX10.2 cabs, oriented vertically.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: 30 Bass Pedals; One Kiesel Bass

Postby MarshallTSL » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:12 pm

Eris, I just ordered my first bass. Can you give me some suggestions on "must-have" bass pedals. If any of them include the words "dark" or "glass" I'm going to puke.
Icon 5 Spalted Flamed Maple, Solo 6x Burl Walnut, Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, CT6 Deep Blue Quilt

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:50 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:Eris, I just ordered my first bass. Can you give me some suggestions on "must-have" bass pedals. If any of them include the words "dark" or "glass" I'm going to puke.

generally speaking, distortions, compressors, and octavers seem to be some of the most common. Some people also like to split their signal, so that they have the un-effected tone to mix in, as well.

My own personal favorite distortion pedal is the Ibanez PD7 Phat-hed.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed May 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Cool. What specific brands and pedals would you recommend? Also, what about Chorus?

I'm playing primarily prog, classic and improv rock. My influences (and I don't mean to sound corny) are Geddy, Chris Squire and Hamm. I really like Bromberg's playing.

Toptube wrote:
MarshallTSL wrote:Eris, I just ordered my first bass. Can you give me some suggestions on "must-have" bass pedals. If any of them include the words "dark" or "glass" I'm going to puke.

generally speaking, distortions, compressors, and octavers seem to be some of the most common. Some people also like to split their signal, so that they have the un-effected tone to mix in, as well.

Icon 5 Spalted Flamed Maple, Solo 6x Burl Walnut, Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, CT6 Deep Blue Quilt

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:Cool. What specific brands and pedals would you recommend? Also, what about Chorus?

I'm playing primarily prog, classic and improv rock. My influences (and I don't mean to sound corny) are Geddy, Chris Squire and Hamm. I really like Bromberg's playing.

Toptube wrote:

Chorus seems like something which was kinda popular in the late 80's/early 90's. So, if you cover a lot of songs from then, you might need one.

Otherwise------I'm actually a big fan of effects and encourage people to experiment. So, don't be afraid to go for something if you feel some inspiration to use it.

Briang Bromberg often talks about using a "flat" signal. So, I'm not aware of his pedals, if any. I would guess maybe some compression. But, he does post on this forum, so you could probably just ask him via private message. :D

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed May 01, 2019 7:29 pm

And nowadays, there are a lot of youtube videos showing pedal boards for bands and amp setups, for bands. Since you like some classic names, chances are real good you can find that info.

Bassist4Eris
Links/Contact:

Postby Bassist4Eris » Sun May 05, 2019 1:35 pm

I'd say a compressor, but it's not something with a lot of "fun" factor. It just helps in a mix, especially if you're relying on your amp rather than a front-of-house mixer (who will probably have his/her own compressors to use on your signal).

I personally wouldn't want to be without an envelope filter, but then I'm a funk guy. What kind of music do you play?

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Sun May 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Bassist4Eris wrote:I personally wouldn't want to be without an envelope filter, but then I'm a funk guy. What kind of music do you play?

I play rock, classic rock, progressive rock and original heavy pop rock. Influences are Geddy, Chris Squire and Stuart Hamm, to name a few. What about you?

Bassist4Eris
Links/Contact:

Postby Bassist4Eris » Sun May 05, 2019 3:25 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:
Bassist4Eris wrote:I personally wouldn't want to be without an envelope filter, but then I'm a funk guy. What kind of music do you play?

I play rock, classic rock, progressive rock and original heavy pop rock. Influences are Geddy, Chris Squire and Stuart Hamm, to name a few.

With the Geddy/Squire influence, I'd recommend checking out some nice, grindy overdrives. There are a lot of good choices out there; I personally like drives that are based on the Fulltone OCD, but retain lows better. I'm currently using a Big Game Bedlam, and I've heard good things about the Abominable Electronics Oppressive Cult Destroyer and Fuzzrocious Demon. On a budget, the EHX Glove is also a pretty good version; I own that one as well as the Bedlam.

MarshallTSL wrote:What about you?

I play in two bands, both primarily original and primarily instrumental. The band that's the "main band" in my heart has keys, guitar, drums and bass, and combines rock, funk, blues, and jazz. My other band, which actually gigs a lot more, is trumpet, tenor sax, guitar, drums and bass, and combines all of the same genres as the first band, plus a healthy dose of Afrobeat.

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:57 am

'Fraid you'd better get your bucket then. Darkglass makes the best distortion pedals for bass hands-down. Even phenomenal guitars pedals like the Earthquaker Westwood are a little lacklustre on bass because of the lost low end. Just get an Alpha-Omega and don't look back.

The Boss RC-3 is pretty good, as is the Octaver and CE-2 as well.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:55 pm

OK, you had me at "bucket" Mr. Creosote! I've just ordered the Darkglass Alpha*Omega Ultra, the Keeley Bassist Compressor and their Seafoam Plus Chorus.

What do you think about the multi-effect pedals? I just bought a Boss GT-001 Desktop for re-amping and hotel room playing, but would really appreciate your opinions on them for bass.

Koshchei wrote:'Fraid you'd better get your bucket then. Darkglass makes the best distortion pedals for bass hands-down. Even phenomenal guitars pedals like the Earthquaker Westwood are a little lacklustre on bass because of the lost low end. Just get an Alpha-Omega and don't look back.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:27 pm

I like the Helix stuff a lot, and the HX Stomp and FX are both around $600 for the same sound quality as the big boy Helix.
It's a little old at this point but I also really like the Boss GT-100 (which iirc has the same models as the GT-001). It needs a bit of setup, messing with cabs, and DEFINITELY needs both signal paths used (one cleaner with a 1x15 or 2x15 cab and one a little more compressy and driven with a 4x10 or 8x10) to sound its best with a bass.

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:48 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:OK, you had me at "bucket" Mr. Creosote! I've just ordered the Darkglass Alpha*Omega Ultra, the Keeley Bassist Compressor and their Seafoam Plus Chorus.

What do you think about the multi-effect pedals? I just bought a Boss GT-001 Desktop for re-amping and hotel room playing, but would really appreciate your opinions on them for bass.

Koshchei wrote:'Fraid you'd better get your bucket then. Darkglass makes the best distortion pedals for bass hands-down. Even phenomenal guitars pedals like the Earthquaker Westwood are a little lacklustre on bass because of the lost low end. Just get an Alpha-Omega and don't look back.

Oh dear. I seem to have trodden in Monsieur's bucket.

I like stomp boxes personally. While there's convenience in having a multi unit, the effects are what they are; there's no mix and match. For travel, I'd probably use an apogee jam into my iPad, and use BIAS to get my practicing done (haven't tried yet, so may be a really good or bad idea).

I love Boss pedals - they're sturdy, sound good, and you can't be electrocuted if you play barefoot. I'm presently using:

1) Octaver OC-3 (polyphonic!)
2) Chorus CE-2W on CE-1 mode
3) Loop Station RC-3

An Alpha-Omega and an MXR Bass Compressor round it out.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Koshchei wrote:Darkglass makes the best distortion pedals for bass hands-down.

I know nothing about bass tone or the equipment. But, in the last 8-ish years, every single time I've purposefully asked about someone's bass tone, 100% of the time, Darkglass is a part of the equation. They seem to have just the right recipe to tickle my fancy, whether it's amps, pedals, or bass pickup preamps. It's just...yeah...if I played bass, they've got "my sound" nailed. :drool:

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses