Roasted Maple?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

RichSnyder

Roasted Maple?

Postby RichSnyder » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:56 am

Is roasted maple no longer an option for basses?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Roasted Maple?

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:15 pm

I only remember seeing it in the builder for the JB basses, and it is still there. I could not tell you if it was actually formerly in any of the other online builders… so all I can say is that it still is available on the JB.

RichSnyder

Postby RichSnyder » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:11 pm

I thought it was an option for the headless basses, but I could be confusing that with the JB.

Bass Viking
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bass Viking » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Welcome to the Kiesel forum!

Not sure if you already know this but it appears there's a $200 restocking fee for a roasted maple neck. I see this on the in stock page. Just something to be aware of.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:06 am

RichSnyder wrote:I thought it was an option for the headless basses, but I could be confusing that with the JB.

Yeah, you're right. That was one of the incentives on the crackle/splatter run. I wonder if it's one of the options one would have to call in for a build.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Roasted maple is available for all bolt-on necks. Maybe for Vader.

All basses can be ordered with a roasted maple fretboard.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 pm

Toptube wrote:Roasted maple is available for all bolt-on necks. Maybe for Vader.

Bolt-ons and headless models only IIRC, plus set necks on guitars. They couldn't get blanks long enough for a neck-through bass I think.

Captjag

Postby Captjag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:33 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Toptube wrote:Roasted maple is available for all bolt-on necks. Maybe for Vader.

Bolt-ons and headless models only IIRC, plus set necks on guitars. They couldn't get blanks long enough for a neck-through bass I think.

Pretty sure that it was the length of the necks being the issue, they were too long to fit in the over (kiln?)

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:02 pm

Captjag wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:

Pretty sure that it was the length of the necks being the issue, they were too long to fit in the over (kiln?)

Yep.

One of my predictions is that Jeff will buy a larger roasting kiln this year, to accommodate bigger blanks for neck-through, etc.

TrueSwordsman
Links/Contact:

Postby TrueSwordsman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:14 am

I ordered a Vanquish Multiscale first day of the Black Friday sale. I ordered with a roasted maple neck and Roasted Birdseye Maple Fingerboard. I'm wondering if the roasted maple has been adding any additional time to peoples orders. Has anyone else had this happen with Roasted maple on your order?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:24 am

TrueSwordsman wrote:I ordered a Vanquish Multiscale first day of the Black Friday sale. I ordered with a roasted maple neck and Roasted Birdseye Maple Fingerboard. I'm wondering if the roasted maple has been adding any additional time to peoples orders. Has anyone else had this happen with Roasted maple on your order?

It can happen to any neck blank which they don't have ready-to-go on the shelf, and roasted maple takes longer than all of their others because the batches take so long to roast. It's possible that could be the case. I know that's why they've cut down on the available multi-piece neck options that are standard options (like there's no more black limba/white limba stripes 5-piece).

Mine's been in the works since 11/21, and I *think* the neck/fretboard was posted on FB a couple of days ago (unfinished, no headstock face wood, no frets, and still not attached to the body). No roasted woods, but it does have a "jeff" finish on the body.

TrueSwordsman
Links/Contact:

Postby TrueSwordsman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:46 am

spudmunkey wrote:
TrueSwordsman wrote:I ordered a Vanquish Multiscale first day of the Black Friday sale. I ordered with a roasted maple neck and Roasted Birdseye Maple Fingerboard. I'm wondering if the roasted maple has been adding any additional time to peoples orders. Has anyone else had this happen with Roasted maple on your order?

It can happen to any neck blank which they don't have ready-to-go on the shelf, and roasted maple takes longer than all of their others because the batches take so long to roast. It's possible that could be the case. I know that's why they've cut down on the available multi-piece neck options that are standard options (like there's no more black limba/white limba stripes 5-piece).

Mine's been in the works since 11/21, and I *think* the neck/fretboard was posted on FB a couple of days ago (unfinished, no headstock face wood, no frets, and still not attached to the body). No roasted woods, but it does have a "jeff" finish on the body.

Word! I've ordered enough instruments to know that times flex. Just getting antsy like usual. I've been doing the same think though searching every frame of shop videos to see if my bass is in the works! I can't wait to get my first multiscale!

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses