Vader Basses - Classical Guitar Position

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

SMM031

Vader Basses - Classical Guitar Position

Postby SMM031 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:56 am

Does anyone have any experience with how the Vader basses (regular and/or short-scale) work with playing seated in a "classical guitar"-like position? I mainly play seated with my left leg raised on a foot-stool. The main lower cutout of the bass rests on that left leg, while the back end of the bass rests against my right leg (see picture).

Bass Pic.png

I really like the look of the Vader basses, but I am concerned that the way the bridges are positioned with the headless design might not work for me.

-For the standard 34 scale Vader basses, I know there isn't a lip under the tuners, and I think that would put the actual tuners resting directly on my right leg. Are they stable enough for this? Also, the output jack seems like it would block putting my leg a little further down from the bridge.
    -For the short scale Vader bass, it has the lip under the tuners that would seemingly fix this issue.
Is there anyone who plays like this (or could just test it out) that could chime in with how it feels for them?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Vader Basses - Classical Guitar Position

Postby Toptube » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:14 pm

People love the Vader guitars for classical position.

The Vader bass saddle nobs are larger and stick out more. So....comfort may be an issue. Otherwise, the butt of the Vader hugs your leg.

SMM031

Postby SMM031 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks for the insight. I’m torn, but it’s still my favorite body style so I’m still leaning that way.

I actually stumbled across this Kiesel YouTube vid which shows the player on the left holding the bass pretty similar to how I play. It seems that the tuners aren't that much of an issue. I wonder if they would do a custom option of adding the extra lip under the tuners on the 34 scale :?

https://youtu.be/BlHOizbf0OM

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:02 pm

SMM031 wrote: I wonder if they would do a custom option of adding the extra lip under the tuners on the 34 scale :?

https://youtu.be/BlHOizbf0OM

I would guess....probably not. However if you call them and ask, ready to pay extra, ready to pay for the entire build up front, Jeff might say "yes".

Otherwise, you can always order one with returnable options and try it for 10 days. As long as you order something with returnable options, their 10 day return is very easy.

clayyton

Postby clayyton » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:11 pm

My VB6 hasn’t shown up yet but I play a VM8 daily in the classical position with a foot rest and couldn’t be happier with the feel. The tuners are incredibly stable even with the thinner guitar strings so I would imagine that the bass version is even more stable given the string tension. As far as the output jack getting in the way goes, I’ve found that an angled jack cable helps with this. If you’re willing to wait 15 weeks to get some first hand input before making your decision, I’ll happily get back to you when I’ve tried it haha.

SMM031

Postby SMM031 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:23 pm

clayyton wrote:My VB6 hasn’t shown up yet but I play a VM8 daily in the classical position with a foot rest and couldn’t be happier with the feel. The tuners are incredibly stable even with the thinner guitar strings so I would imagine that the bass version is even more stable given the string tension. As far as the output jack getting in the way goes, I’ve found that an angled jack cable helps with this. If you’re willing to wait 15 weeks to get some first hand input before making your decision, I’ll happily get back to you when I’ve tried it haha.

I am actually very willing to wait :D

I ended up purchasing a Zeus Bass 6-string (ZB6) on Cyber Monday, and it got delivered last week. I love it so far, but I would still be interested in a possible Vader bass in the future. Thanks for your insight!

Pic of my new bass...just because :mrgreen:
Kiesel ZB6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:18 pm

SMM031 wrote:
clayyton wrote:My VB6 hasn’t shown up yet but I play a VM8 daily in the classical position with a foot rest and couldn’t be happier with the feel. The tuners are incredibly stable even with the thinner guitar strings so I would imagine that the bass version is even more stable given the string tension. As far as the output jack getting in the way goes, I’ve found that an angled jack cable helps with this. If you’re willing to wait 15 weeks to get some first hand input before making your decision, I’ll happily get back to you when I’ve tried it haha.

I ended up purchasing a Zeus Bass 6-string (ZB6) on Cyber Monday, and it got delivered last week. I love it so far, but I would still be interested in a possible Vader bass in the future. Thanks for your insight!

Kiesel ZB6.png

Hey that's really a nice Zeus! Good color and wood combos.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:20 am

SMM031 wrote:

Kiesel ZB6.png

Is that a Black Limba body?

I ordered a Vader 7 Black Friday, that for some reason wasn't processed until a week later, and the projected finish date is March 24th :wall: :oops:

You lucky dog.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

SMM031

Postby SMM031 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:59 am

Jack'O'Licious wrote:Is that a Black Limba body?

I ordered a Vader 7 Black Friday, that for some reason wasn't processed until a week later, and the projected finish date is March 24th :wall: :oops:

You lucky dog.

Yep, Black Limba. Here is a back picture
Kiesel ZB6 (back).png

I did fine with like 90% of my wait time, but I started getting REALLY anxious like a week or 2 before estimated completion. Good luck!

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses