New "Thanos" headless JB/SB style bass, including multiscale

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New "Thanos" headless JB/SB style bass, including multiscale

Postby Toptube » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 am

RichSnyder wrote:Waiting for the TB4 page to go live. The TB5 and multi scale pages are both live, but no TB4 yet. I know, patience, they're still recovering from NAMM.

The pages have been up. They must have been down for a little bit, to add pictures to the gallery. Because, they havent' had pictures in the gallery, for days. But they do, now.
https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargallery/tb4

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:15 am

Re: tuner exposure, I don't think it should be an issue. If the instrument is dropped and lands just so (the only scenario I can really see that would put them at risk), that thin threaded shaft can bend on one or more tuner assemblies. Then you spend ten or twenty bucks and get replacements from Hipshot. I don't see any real problem here.
self-banished

RichSnyder

Postby RichSnyder » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:18 am

Toptube wrote:
RichSnyder wrote:Waiting for the TB4 page to go live. The TB5 and multi scale pages are both live, but no TB4 yet. I know, patience, they're still recovering from NAMM.

The pages have been up. They must have been down for a little bit, to add pictures to the gallery. Because, they havent' had pictures in the gallery, for days. But they do, now.

It's live now, it was actually live prior to the announcement. =tb4 was a redirect to the guitar page until this morning.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:31 am

RichSnyder wrote:
Toptube wrote:

It's live now, it was actually live prior to the announcement. =tb4 was a redirect to the guitar page until this morning.

I've been looking at the TB4 page and playing with the builder, since the day of release. They just added gallery pics within the last few hours.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:20 am

I dunno why this realization only hit me just now but

This means white jazz pickups are now an option.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:43 am

It could also just be painted, like they've done on guitars for a little while.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:59 am

spudmunkey wrote:It could also just be painted, like they've done on guitars for a little while.

I suppose it could be. The gallery photo caption doesn't say anything about the spec for the white pickup.

I hope its not just a painted pickup. Because that's a really expensive option.

*and painted pickups have been offered on basses since the launch of the Zeus bass.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:32 am

Toptube wrote:*and painted pickups have been offered on basses since the launch of the Zeus bass.

Ahh, that's right. I remember seeing a color shift bass that had color-shift painted pickups. Thanks for the reminder!

Bob C
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Bob C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:59 pm

That's cool, but I'd be sad if/when the paint started to wear off.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 pm

Bob C wrote:That's cool, but I'd be sad if/when the paint started to wear off.

Assuming they paint 'em the same way they paint the basses --- I wouldn't worry about it with gloss or satin.

I guess someone who anchors their thumb on the pickups might eventually wear through. But....I use floating thumb technique :ninja:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:12 pm

I'm basically set on ordering a Thanos 4 string. Might wait until some good promos, not sure.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:25 pm

My current musings on Thanos 4 specs:

First of all, the ultimate goal is to mod a Thanos 4 with the Lollar Thunderbird pickups, currently in my Fender Jaguar bass.

Right now, my body and neck wood choice will be Alder body and 1 piece Mahogany neck. I love Alder tone in a body. And the Mahogany neck will give me some of that non-reverse thunderbird character. Also, Mahogany neck will be lighter weight. If I can get a free chambering promo, then I will just put a mahogany top on there.

Right now I have two main ideas for the overall look.

1. British Racing Green with white crackle. White pickguard. Zebrawood fretboard. Luminlay fretboard dots, all on the top edge. EVO Gold frets.

2. Black Magic Metallic. Black picguard. Black ebony fretboard. black blocks. EVO Gold frets. (I would also order a white pickguard and decide later. I actually really like white pickguards on just about everything. But I wanna see the black, in this case.)

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Ben Jones, the man who introduced us all to the Vanquish bass: got a Thanos.

https://youtu.be/Xivcj0WQOTo

This video is new today
https://youtu.be/--JgwGUHFLM

LarryNJ

Postby LarryNJ » Mon May 18, 2020 5:14 pm

Some pretty tasty playing from Mr. Jones up there.

As for my contribution here: I never gave thought to a headless bass, a residue from those older Box-shaped Steinbergers which I thought were pretty fugly.

However- IMO, the Thanos is sleek and beautiful and I understand that the current HL Hipshot systems are very well designed.

Here's the deal maker for me; food for thought, but I wouldn't wish it on any other players.

About a year ago, I developed a condition called "frozen shoulder" on my left side. I have limited mobility and can't raise my arm more than half way up. In short, it sucks. There is surgery, but I don't want to go through that, and it involves a lot of down-time and Physical Therapy, etc.

Enuff about health issues- The point is that tuning is sometimes very painful, stretching across a Fender-style HS, etc.
I find myself cursing my TU-2 tuner when it doesn't track RIGHT NOW!. There is no effect on my playing, I can move both right and left hands just fine, but as we know, tuning is critical, so-

This bass is right up my alley- I know Kiesel build quality, having had (2) AC-40's built.They were awesome.
I've spec'd out a light-blue THANOS, and am ready to get it done; just need a little more time for the $$ to come on in!

I'll be sure to post when ordered, and will look forward to regaling you loyal Forumites of the Bass Division pictures when she arrives. My build plan will be da BOMB!

Everyone stay well!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon May 18, 2020 5:27 pm

Very cool! Which pickguard are you pairing with the light blue?

LarryNJ

Postby LarryNJ » Mon May 18, 2020 10:58 pm

OK, I'll give it up!

Light Blue, Swamp Ash /Maple Neck, Maple Board, no dots. Clear gloss.
White pearloid p/g
Stainless regular frets
JVA's (White if available)

Tasty! :twisted:

Pretty basic; (keeps the cost down) I wish they had a configurator like the old days.
Now I'm gassin'!

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 pm

LarryNJ wrote:OK, I'll give it up!

Light Blue, Swamp Ash /Maple Neck, Maple Board, no dots. Clear gloss.
White pearloid p/g
Stainless regular frets
JVA's (White if available)

Tasty! :twisted:

Pretty basic; (keeps the cost down) I wish they had a configurator like the old days.
Now I'm gassin'!

Oh hell yeah, pearloid on blue!
I'm doing a Delos with that setup (still waffling on grabber, light, or royal blue though). That sounds like a killer setup - do report back on how it works out for you.

LarryNJ

Postby LarryNJ » Tue May 19, 2020 12:34 am

The "waffling" is the hardest part about starting a build. There are so many ridiculously cool options and finishes that at some point, one must either make a decision, or order 5-6 different basses.

I'll be happy to start a report and gush about said bass asap- Takes my mind off the rest of this situation. :wall:

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses