Headless Basses and Max String Gauge

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

swallace

Headless Basses and Max String Gauge

Postby swallace » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Hello! I've reached out to customer support a while ago but I haven't heard back, so figured I'd try here.

I haven't seen any official specs on the max string gauge you could use on Kiesel's headless basses, but I saw mention of something like .130 max on a 5 string.

Does anyone happen to know what the max string gauge is or confirm they've used strings over .130 on headless basses?

Thanks!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Headless Basses and Max String Gauge

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm

Yeah, without un-winding or smushing wth a hammer, the largest seems to be .130...and not all .130, either.

swallace

Postby swallace » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:43 pm

That's unfortunate. Thanks!

Tasty Funk Shakes

Postby Tasty Funk Shakes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:39 pm

swallace wrote:Hello! I've reached out to customer support a while ago but I haven't heard back, so figured I'd try here.

I haven't seen any official specs on the max string gauge you could use on Kiesel's headless basses, but I saw mention of something like .130 max on a 5 string.

Does anyone happen to know what the max string gauge is or confirm they've used strings over .130 on headless basses?

Thanks!

I use a .135 on my Osiris. The slot measures .142 wide so you should be able to at least use a .140.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:54 pm

I don't have a bass, but I used to run a .64 on guitar, and it's just kinda finicky to get a heavy string into the hole and sometimes I just had to back the screw out all the way before it would actually go in.

clayyton

Postby clayyton » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:01 pm

As far as I know, Hugo from Beyond Creation uses .135 elixirs on his VB6 with no issue. I run .80 (8th string) and .68 (7th string) elixirs on my VM8 which comes with .74 (8th) and .64 (7th) Elixirs standard from Kiesel. While it takes a little finagling to get the .80’s ball end to line up correctly in the bridge, It does fit just fine. I’m sure the .5 difference in your case will be fine!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 pm

Tasty Funk Shakes wrote:
swallace wrote:Hello! I've reached out to customer support a while ago but I haven't heard back, so figured I'd try here.

Thanks!

I use a .135 on my Osiris. The slot measures .142 wide so you should be able to at least use a .140.

what specific strings are you using? It seems like the specific brands and models have different tapers and types of winds that can be problematic, or helpful.

Tasty Funk Shakes

Postby Tasty Funk Shakes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:27 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Tasty Funk Shakes wrote:

Thanks!

what specific strings are you using? It seems like the specific brands and models have different tapers and types of winds that can be problematic, or helpful.

So far I've used D'Addario XL, Fodera, Elixir, and Kalium (.136) with no problems. However, the Dunlop Super Bright Nickel .130 has been the best sounding.

Jack'O'Licious
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:28 am

Can you file it down? What material are they? Ive never noticed. I don't own a Kiesel headless bass or guitar (Vader due to be finished in March) but I have a Dingwall NG2. It's not headless but I filed the ivory nut down to get a .180 in the low B slot for drop E tuning. Its not too difficult, I used a file I bought at a local welding shop.
Kiesels: 2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)
Others: Peavey Raptor Plus (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, Ibanez RGEW521ZC
Basses: 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6

swallace

Postby swallace » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:52 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Tasty Funk Shakes wrote:

Thanks!

I use Payson or Kalium strings, somewhere in the realm of .145 for a low A string, but that was for 37" scale length, so I may have to use something a bit thicker for the shorter scale length on a Kiesel.

ThaTroll

Postby ThaTroll » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:37 am

To benefit anyone searching this topic in the future (like I did a little while ago before making a purchase), I was able to just barely fit a GHS Bass Boomer .140 in the headstock of a five-string Osiris bass. That appears to be the max from my perspective. A Boomer .135 fits easily. This is using strings with no taper and no modification of the string itself (smashing, unwinding, etc.).

Edit: As a follow up, I have also experimented with unwinding strings so that heavier gauges are an option, and it works very well. There does not appear to be any discernible negative impact on string integrity, tone, or security in the headpiece.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses