Anyone have a broken bass tuning peg?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

hazmat

Anyone have a broken bass tuning peg?

Postby hazmat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:22 pm

I have looked everywhere for this to no avail. One of those white washers on the tuning pegs of my LB20 snapped off and I need a replacement. All Carvin can tell me is to buy a new tuner. Unless someone knows where I can get a replacement washer, anyone by any chance of a broken tuner that I could buy the washer? I think it's a total waste of material to buy a whole new tuner just for a little piece of nylon.

Thanks.

boogie5strg
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Anyone have a broken bass tuning peg?

Postby boogie5strg » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:16 pm

You may just have to bite the bullet and buy a new tuner. You can search the hardware stores and see if they have something. My guess it will be faster and easier to buy the tuner.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:43 pm

how did it snap off? Or did it just wear out? It should be fairly simple to get something similar. problem is that often with small parts like that you'll have to buy them in quantity. maybe look into the nylon washers used on the lugs of drum sets?
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

hazmat

Postby hazmat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 pm

It was split for some reason and just got looser and looser until it broke off. Not sure why. I understand about the ease of just buying another tuner, but thinking environmentally, it's a complete waste. It surprises me that Carvin has no parts like that around. They're in CA and should be more green!

boogie5strg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: Anyone have a broken bass tuning peg?

Postby boogie5strg » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:11 am

hazmat wrote:It was split for some reason and just got looser and looser until it broke off. Not sure why. I understand about the ease of just buying another tuner, but thinking environmentally, it's a complete waste. It surprises me that Carvin has no parts like that around. They're in CA and should be more green!

Not sure why being in CA would make them more of a green company but you can check the hardware stores. sometimes I've found that you have to buy the whole item to get a part from it as they don't always have individual pieces available. I have had limited success finding specialty parts at stores like Lowes and Home Depot. In fact very little selection but your mileage may vary. Fortunately for me there is an Ace Hardware store close by that has an unbelievable back room full of specialty parts. Everything from auto fasteners, computer desk/furniture parts to guitar trem springs. It's a regular gold mine.

hazmat

Re: re: Anyone have a broken bass tuning peg?

Postby hazmat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 am

boogie5strg wrote:Not sure why being in CA would make them more of a green company but you can check the hardware stores. sometimes I've found that you have to buy the whole item to get a part from it as they don't always have individual pieces available. I have had limited success finding specialty parts at stores like Lowes and Home Depot. In fact very little selection but your mileage may vary. Fortunately for me there is an Ace Hardware store close by that has an unbelievable back room full of specialty parts. Everything from auto fasteners, computer desk/furniture parts to guitar trem springs. It's a regular gold mine.

Well the reference to CA was that doesn't CA have relatively strict environmental laws? Either way, thanks. There are tons of hardware stores around NYC. It's worth popping into any close by. I feel like I'm on a mission now. :)

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm

If you don't have any luck locally, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll steal a couple washers off a set of tuners that came off a bass I don't have any more. They should fit the Carvin tuners as they look identical. I can't promise a super fast reply, but I'm pretty sure you won't find a better price! Lemme know.

John
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

floyd
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby floyd » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:31 pm

You live in NYC and you are concerned with "Green"?

Buy a new tuner and recycle the old one then.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Lowe's and Home depot has those drawers of weird odds-and-ends in the hardware aisles that always have goofy pieces. OSH does too, but I don't think there re many outside of the Southwest.

hazmat

Postby hazmat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I was about to take John up on his very kind offer, but in the end I put on a set of Hipshot Ultralites I had from another bass. Should work really well. And the stupid part of this story is that I realized I have this piece of crap Davison flying V bass (lefty) with Gotoh-style tuners that I have what I assume are the same washers. In case I put the original tuners back on, I can pull one off of that. I can't believe I missed that.

ed455

Re: Anyone have a broken bass tuning peg?

Postby ed455 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:18 am

I know this is an old thread, BUT

The stem in one of the tuners in my XB75 snapped off for no apparent reason last night while I was installing new strings. I looked at the stem and it appears to be some crappy potmetal that they used. I don't understand building an instrument in the USA and then installing crappy offshore tuners in them.

I'm putting a set of Hipshots in mine.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:57 pm

I have had two break on my LB70. Happened without warning. After the first one, I called Carvin and ordered a set. I don't know why they broke, but replacing them is the way to go. Not very expensive, but I suppose it's all relative.

If you can find one in a music store's parts drawer or off of a beater bass, go for it - as long as the shaft size it the same. And it would be nice if the screw holes line up too.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Oops. Looks like you're good to go.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses