Official Bass GAS Thread '16

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: Official Bass GAS Thread '16

Postby Toptube » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:59 am

Toptube wrote:If I do another Icon, this is the current "dream" build:

Alder body
Ash top with Antique Ash treatment. Neck showing.
5 piece White Limba/walnut neck
Aquaburst with an extra black burst edge
Luminlay side dots
Purple heart fretboard
Lumilay dots on fretboard
vintage size EVO Gold frets
Radiused Single coils
chrome hardware and chrome bridge saddles
white nut
Abalone logo

Welp, they just showed some blue denim ash. So....maybe go with that, instead of aquaburst... :stir:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Official Bass GAS Thread '16

Postby Toptube » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:27 am

Its a new year but ehhhh,

My currrent musing is an Icon 5 with...

Zebrawood top (I'd actually like an antique ash top becuase AAT is Rad. But, Zebrawood is "free" on Icons and it would look similar under a burst. Pretty big savings, compared to adding an Ash top + AAT).
Mahogany or white limba body
trans classic sunburst.
5 piece Walnut/Purpleheart neck (split top with neck showing through)
purpleheart fretboard.
satin body would look cool with the purple heart and make the zebrawood or AAT look "dirty". But I like gloss necks so...hmm...
EVO gold vintage size frets
Radiused Single coils
Whatever Luminlay inlay dots which wouldnt' void return. Although I think the black circled white dots, would look cool on a purpleheart fretboard.
chrome saddles and hardware.
Silver or gold logo
I could take or leave the pre-amp. I don't need it. But its kinda fun to have.

or copy all that same stuff, onto a 4 string Vader. But I love that Icon 5 neck so much, a 4 string is tough for me to really commit to. :stir:

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Sounds cool. Interesting point about zebrawood versus AAT on an Icon :think:

I'll just say that I've caught the ebony bug. It's expensive and heavy but man, such tone. That and the bridge-position SCP . . . MikeBass has found his new favorite wood and pickup choices.
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:24 am

Now they have pale moon ebony! :stir:

That build up there is mostly me musing about uncommon ways to incorporate a purpleheart fretboard.

I dont usually go for tops. For tone reasons. I also kinda want to get back to a single piece neck.

I was thinking it might be kinda crazy to do purpleheart fretboard with surf green (Vader) or gunmetal burst (Vader or Icon).

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:59 am

It it helps/hurts, keep in mind that purpleheart will naturally fade to brown-ish over time, unless you have a UV-impervious finish. To like how many folks "rent" gold hardware (with it wearing off with use or sweat chemistry), the same COULD be said for the purple color of purpleheart.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:18 am

ok, primer gray inspire;

Vader bass. 3 piece body.
White Limba top, painted primer gray.
Purpleheart middle layer.
Walnut body wings, chambered.
1 piece Walnut neck.
Purpleheart fretboard.

*in reality, I'd probably skip the 3 piece, though. to save bills.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:38 am

spudmunkey wrote:It it helps/hurts, keep in mind that purpleheart will naturally fade to brown-ish over time

I did some googling and looks like it settles to a deep brown/purple. which is actually pretty nice. I've also been watching Anna Sentina's Icon with purpleheart top. Its gotta bee 8 months old now. Still looks pretty purple.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:10 am

Toptube wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:It it helps/hurts, keep in mind that purpleheart will naturally fade to brown-ish over time

I did some googling and looks like it settles to a deep brown/purple. which is actually pretty nice. I've also been watching Anna Sentina's Icon with purpleheart top. Its gotta bee 8 months old now. Still looks pretty purple.

Oh, yeah...8 months isn't long enough for that I'd it's not around much U V. I'm talking on a scale of years, not months...but it will change. And her top is begins a clearcoat, not like a fretboatd (unless you are doing a HAN finish...then I have no idea if cyanoacrylite acts any different in the wood than polyester... :think:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:44 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Toptube wrote:

Oh, yeah...8 months isn't long enough for that I'd it's not around much U V. I'm talking on a scale of years, not months...but it will change. And her top is begins a clearcoat, not like a fretboatd (unless you are doing a HAN finish...then I have no idea if cyanoacrylite acts any different in the wood than polyester... :think:

If I do a build,nit will be fretted. So, no HAN. I think PH would look good with British Racing Green, as well. An interesting wood, that's for sure!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:54 am

The more I play some 4 strings which I have laying around, the less I want a 4 string Vader. I just like that narrow spacing on my Icon, so much.

Maybe I'll get a 6 string and try it strung: B D E A D G

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:34 am

This vader guitar is non-returnable:
http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/135138

maybe is the "blacked out ash" or maybe its the purpleheart fingerboard.

If it turns out to be the fingerboard, I won't be ordering a purpleheart fingerboard, as I had planned.

the non-returnables are getting a bit out of control.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:00 am

I think I'm gonna call the guys Saturday and throw some ideas against the wall. Hopefully they are doing a President's day promo :wink:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:02 am

Welp, I guess they no longer take orders on Saturday!

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:34 am

Toptube wrote:Welp, I guess they no longer take orders on Saturday!

What?

Geez! Their banner at the top says Mon-Fri!
:wall:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Haha well IN 2014 THEY took custom shop orders on Saturday.

Their showroom is open, though :rockon:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Only presidents day promo is half off redwood tops. So I didn't push through a purchase. But I will be emailing Keith tonight, to get a rolling quote going on a Vader idea. Here are the starting specs, to be tweaked as the week goes on:

VADER 4

Alder body wing
Walnut neck
Mahogany top
Light blue solid paint for the top
Black back and sides
ALL GLOSS
zebrawood fretboard
Evo gold vintage size frets

I think those specs are pretty much decided on. I may chamber it.

The big question mark is what to do about pickups. I know that I like the Radiused singles. So that would be a safe bet.
But I have some ideas!!...???

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:59 pm

In today's live video, he showed off a selection of burled redwood tops, and suggested that one of them would be nice with a JB bass.

I'm in full agreement. :shock: That burled redwood top, JB4, sunsetburst edges, gold hardware (and I normally don't like gold hardware). I'm torn on the fretboard...thinking birdseye maple? But definitely with gold frets. I would also get the pickguardless version...and a spare pickguard. That way I could get it traced in a smoky clear. The model just looks incomplete without a pickguard (especially with that control plate. If it was it's own shape, I could be OK with it, but it just looks like it's missing the rest. And yes, I know Fender made basses like that and with the exact same control plate. That doesn't make it OK. :lol:), but it would be one of those times I wouldn't want to cover the wood completely.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:53 am

spudmunkey wrote:In today's live video, he showed off a selection of burled redwood tops, and suggested that one of them would be nice with a JB bass.

I'm in full agreement. :shock: That burled redwood top, JB4, sunsetburst edges, gold hardware (and I normally don't like gold hardware). I'm torn on the fretboard...thinking birdseye maple? But definitely with gold frets. I would also get the pickguardless version...and a spare pickguard. That way I could get it traced in a smoky clear. The model just looks incomplete without a pickguard (especially with that control plate. If it was it's own shape, I could be OK with it, but it just looks like it's missing the rest. And yes, I know Fender made basses like that and with the exact same control plate. That doesn't make it OK. :lol:), but it would be one of those times I wouldn't want to cover the wood completely.

I think figured/burled Redwood looks amazing. But, I don't want to pay for it :wink:

and YES, I wish the JB bass had an option to have a "clean" front, with no pickguard or control plate. The JB is a really cool body shape and would look great that way. Especially to show off tops. and bursts wouldn't be interrupted by the control plate. Bursts look great on JB basses.

I have a small dream about a JB bass with a special forest burst where the black is black magic metallic, the first green is trans pearl gree, and then finally, trans moss green. On a light antique ash or summer ash. With no control plate... :shock: that would be so tasty.
I also think that a JB bass would look similarly awesome with Lizardburst.

------

I emailed keith to get started on rolling up a Vader Bass 4 build!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 am

Toptube wrote:I think figured/burled Redwood looks amazing. But, I don't want to pay for it :wink:

Yesterday only, they had a batch of one-piece tops that would be only $100 more than quilted maple. :stir:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:21 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Toptube wrote:I think figured/burled Redwood looks amazing. But, I don't want to pay for it :wink:

Yesterday only, they had a batch of one-piece tops that would be only $100 more than quilted maple. :stir:

Yeah, that was pretty cool. But if i'm going to spend 500 on a single option, its gotta be for some sort of function or for like, a whole other cool model/shape.

Example: I once spent $400 on pickups and they were WORTH IT.

And I'm kinda trying to do sort of a surfy Vader. So no burls on this one!

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses