Has anyone ordered 30 inch Vader 4/5 string?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

doppio

Has anyone ordered 30 inch Vader 4/5 string?

Postby doppio » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Hey all,

so I started picking up the bass again... I have a 4 string jazz bass and 5 string Lakland Skyline series. I love the versatility of the Lakland (J neck, MM bridge pick up, coil tap on the bridge pick up, pick up blend, passive/active, it's got it all) but it's a 35" scale bass and it's pretty heavy.

So i started looking into the vader bass. then I noticed the option for 30 inch scale.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience building the 30 inch scale? How does the short scale feel? Isn't B string too loose?

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Has anyone ordered 30 inch Vader 4/5 string?

Postby amispy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:49 pm

I ordered a chambered 30" VB5 with active electronics and a split-coil pup. I didn't weigh it, but it felt really light. The fit and finish was perfect. I was very impressed with the sound. The B-string was fine. It sounded as deep and clear as my 34" scale 5 strings.

I ended up sending it back because I couldn't get used to having no headstock. lol

Here's a pic of her...
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X

doppio

Re: re: Has anyone ordered 30 inch Vader 4/5 string?

Postby doppio » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:36 pm

amispy wrote:I ordered a chambered 30" VB5 with active electronics and a split-coil pup. I didn't weigh it, but it felt really light. The fit and finish was perfect. I was very impressed with the sound. The B-string was fine. It sounded as deep and clear as my 34" scale 5 strings.

I ended up sending it back because I couldn't get used to having no headstock. lol

Here's a pic of her...

bro, this bass is everything I wanted in a VB5..... chambered, active/passive, split-coil, etc...

how much was your build? around 2k?

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:38 am

amispy wrote:I ended up sending it back because I couldn't get used to having no headstock. lol

Wow, Ami, that's a looker. They should make a dummy headstock 'for feel.' I would have had a hard time returning this.
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

skeeler

Postby skeeler » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:27 am

amispy wrote:I ordered a chambered 30" VB5 with active electronics and a split-coil pup. I didn't weigh it, but it felt really light. The fit and finish was perfect. I was very impressed with the sound. The B-string was fine. It sounded as deep and clear as my 34" scale 5 strings.

Can you please comment on the reach of the 30" Vader when standing with the bass on a strap? I'm a bit concerned that, because the strap button is at about the 15th fret, the bass will sit further toward the fretting hand than one with the more usual position at the 12th fret, leading to greater reach. (This is one of the many ergonomics problems I have with my SG bass.) One of the main reasons I'm interested in a short-scale bass is to reduce the reach to the lower frets, so this is a critical issue for me. I'd appreciate hearing your experience.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Has anyone ordered 30 inch Vader 4/5 string?

Postby amispy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:17 pm

doppio wrote:how much was your build? around 2k?
Yes, right at $2k.

Coda wrote: Wow, Ami, that's a looker. They should make a dummy headstock 'for feel.' I would have had a hard time returning this.
It was a tough decision to return it. She was gorgeous. I may just order an Icon with similar specs.

skeeler wrote: Can you please comment on the reach of the 30" Vader when standing with the bass on a strap?
I don't remember having any reach issues. I was more focused on the sound and weight.
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:47 am

Here's a pic of her...

Ain't see you here in a bit. Good to see you. Ami, that's a beauty. Good taste as usual! Have you ordered since? I'm guessing not but wanted to see the specs if you have....
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

BlueBurst

Postby BlueBurst » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:48 am

Here's a pic of her...

What is the top wood on this bass?

BlueBurst

Re: Has anyone ordered 30 inch Vader 4/5 string?

Postby BlueBurst » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:02 am

Well i found the answer to my question here. What a great looking bass. I am not really a fan of headless or pointy basses....but am a fan of short scale basses...so I am kind of intrigued.

http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/133331

BlueBurst

Postby BlueBurst » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:36 pm

So back to the original topic, anyone order one of these? There is not much response on this thread, surely someone must have gotten one and wants to share!

I am not a big fan of the pointy 80s metal look that seems to be the new norm....but I do like short scale and have been wanting a short scale Carvin (or I guess I should now say Kiesel) bass for some time. Now when I saw what they came out with I was not at all interested because of the look and headless feature.....but now I have a certain amount of intrigue...especially since I have little faith that I will ever soon see something different from Kiesel, or perhaps I should say something less different and more traditional.

Signed; a former Carvin bass player.

Heavyduty

Postby Heavyduty » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:27 am

I'm curious about how the low B is on 30" VB5s, too - I have an AW5 on order (my first Kiesel, but my fifth or sixth headless bass) and I'm a little concerned about how the zero fret reach is going to be since I had no opportunity to try one before ordering. It's very likely going to be just fine, but I'd like to have a contingency plan in place - I are an analyst, that's just what we do. :mrgreen:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:44 am

... The AW5 doesn't have a zero fret, does it?

Heavyduty

Postby Heavyduty » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:53 am

spudmunkey wrote:... The AW5 doesn't have a zero fret, does it?

I guess you're right, I just assumed it did like all the other headless basses I've had. Ok, reach to the nut.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Heavyduty wrote:I'm curious about how the low B is on 30" VB5s, too - I have an AW5 on order (my first Kiesel, but my fifth or sixth headless bass) and I'm a little concerned about how the zero fret reach is going to be since I had no opportunity to try one before ordering. It's very likely going to be just fine, but I'd like to have a contingency plan in place - I are an analyst, that's just what we do. :mrgreen:

If your order is returnable------return it if you don't like the reach or how tight the B is.

Heavyduty

Postby Heavyduty » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Toptube wrote:
Heavyduty wrote:I'm curious about how the low B is on 30" VB5s, too - I have an AW5 on order (my first Kiesel, but my fifth or sixth headless bass) and I'm a little concerned about how the zero fret reach is going to be since I had no opportunity to try one before ordering. It's very likely going to be just fine, but I'd like to have a contingency plan in place - I are an analyst, that's just what we do. :mrgreen:

If your order is returnable------return it if you don't like the reach or how tight the B is.

I was careful to spec this order so it would be returnable. But, if the reach is off enough that I can't live with it, I'll have to decide whether to take the risk reordering an AW5 as a 30" (assuming they will even do that) because I'm sure that wouldn't be returnable.

I was just reading your VB5 thread. You mentioned using the far side lower strap button to affect hang - I never once thought of doing that with my old XM2A. How well does that work?

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:23 pm

If you don't like the reach and return it, why would you order an Angus Williams Vader?

Everyone's body is different and many people have different straps. But for me, the lower button helps with lower fret reach, when using a tighter strap (adjusted so the bass hangs higher).

Heavyduty

Postby Heavyduty » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Toptube wrote:If you don't like the reach and return it, why would you order an Angus Williams Vader?

I'm not sure I understand your question?

(Edit) I think I see what's happening. I was asking about 30" low Bs in case the 34" AW5 I have on order ends up having reach issues for me. I don't currently have a 30" on order. I really do think the 34" will work out since I spent years playing a XM2A, I'm just doing contingency planning!

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses