NEW! Vanquish Multiscale Basses

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: NEW! Vanquish Multiscale Basses

Postby amon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:33 am

Toptube wrote:The general trend in the multiscale market, be it guitar or bass, is an angled aesthetic, to at least loosely follow the fan of the frets. Most of the potential customer market, is expecting to see such.

You keep making this claim. Please show us some data to back it up.

Personally, I believe that the multi-scale market is such a niche of isolated players that there is no general consensus for what it generally wants. Granted, my evidence is only all the YouTube videos of lonely dudes in their mothers' basements plugged into their laptops playing tappity-tap-tap heavy metal Muzak on their multi-scale monstrosities.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:27 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Be careful...we could have ended up with these:

Ormsby makes some pretty nice looking multi scales. (I don't care for this headstock)
Not all of his multi scales have the pups oriented like that.
They've really been gaining popularity with his production lines.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:47 pm

There are some models where the neck pickup is aligned with the 24th fret, and the bridge pickup is aligned with the bridge saddles...but those look wonky to me...which shouldn't matter, I know...but they look very messy.

The Vader doesn't look as "off" as the Aries because the bridge's baseplate on the Vader follows the 24th fret, even if the saddles don't.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:21 pm

"Icon is not coming at NAMM." - Jeff

Sounds like he just wasn't feelin' it as much as the Vanquish. While it's still new, sales haven't been explosive. Good, but not great. As it stands, the Vanquish will need to prove that there's a market for a Kiesel multiscale before any additional models are developed.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:48 am

spudmunkey wrote:"Icon is not coming at NAMM." - Jeff

Sounds like he just wasn't feelin' it as much as the Vanquish. While it's still new, sales haven't been explosive. Good, but not great. As it stands, the Vanquish will need to prove that there's a market for a Kiesel multiscale before any additional models are developed.

OTHER than the Vader multiscale basses. I'm almost positive THAT is going to happen.

He also said there are no plans for the 6-string multiscale basses. I'm not holding my breath...I wonder if we find 6 string multiscale pickups to send them those, would they still do it even though the model is not official...
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:03 am

Dometalican wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:"Icon is not coming at NAMM." - Jeff

OTHER than the Vader multiscale basses. I'm almost positive THAT is going to happen.

He also said there are no plans for the 6-string multiscale basses. I'm not holding my breath...I wonder if we find 6 string multiscale pickups to send them those, would they still do it even though the model is not official...

any P4 shape pickup with dual or quad coil blades, should work fine to tilt for a 6 string multi scale. Bartolini, Aguilar DCB, Nordstrand dual coil neo.

However, none of those are radiused. Someone on Talkbass replaced the radium dual coils in his LB76, because he didn't like the tone. Replaced them with Aguilars. He likes the tone a lot better, but volume is not consistent, from string to string.

Nordstrand does have the new Big Blades pickups, which are a radiused blade. Those would probably be great in P4 size, for a multi-scale.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:34 am

Toptube wrote:Nordstrand does have the new Big Blades pickups, which are a radiused blade. Those would probably be great in P4 size, for a multi-scale.

I saw those. Those would look pretty nice on a multi-scale bass but wouldn't the 2 screws/1 screw setup kind of mess with Kiesel since they use a one screw per side setup? I'm sure it wouldn't be THAT bad of an issue but I was just wondering...

Either way, this may be the ticket to getting the multi-scale 6. The real question is does Jeff really have the Vanquish multi-scale bass programmed on the CNC machine still despite the model not being official and will he be willing to still do it if we send him the correct-sized pickups? I'm surprisingly willing to sacrifice my 'this-is-totally-not-a-metal-looking-bass' love/meh attitude for the Vanquish shape if they are willing to do this.

Here's hoping!
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:11 am

Toptube wrote:
Dometalican wrote:
Toptube wrote:Nordstrand does have the new Big Blades pickups, which are a radiused blade. Those would probably be great in P4 size, for a multi-scale.

I saw those. Those would look pretty nice on a multi-scale bass but wouldn't the 2 screws/1 screw setup kind of mess with Kiesel since they use a one screw per side setup? I'm sure it wouldn't be THAT bad of an issue but I was just wondering...

Either way, this may be the ticket to getting the multi-scale 6. The real question is does Jeff really have the Vanquish multi-scale bass programmed on the CNC machine still despite the model not being official and will he be willing to still do it if we send him the correct-sized pickups? I'm surprisingly willing to sacrifice my 'this-is-totally-not-a-metal-looking-bass' love/meh attitude for the Vanquish shape if they are willing to do this.

Here's hoping!

I seriously doubt the nordstrand screw pattern would be an issue. I have seen them do a lot more than that, for customers, to get pickups installed into a Kiesel.

In regards to getting a 6 string multi-scale vanquish built---------Jeff said its ready. However, he did not say what size pickups it is setup for. I was talking about P4, simply because it would make sense. But, I have no idea what Kiesel is thinking, in regards to pickup size for their 6 string multiscale.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:05 pm

NAMM is here....I think its past due time to show the 4 string and get proper picks on the site For the 4 string page and links ; )

videomagician

Postby videomagician » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:33 am

Just watched Jeff's Facebook Live Booth tour and didn't see a 4-string multi scale.

fizzchem

Postby fizzchem » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:56 am

Gonna save my pennies for the 4 string. :mrgreen:

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:32 am

amon wrote:. . . all the YouTube videos of lonely dudes in their mothers' basements plugged into their laptops playing tappity-tap-tap heavy metal Muzak on their multi-scale monstrosities.

Nothing of substance to contribute to a very interesting thread other than to say that the above is some epic prose. :applause:

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:51 am

Selective editing is fun!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:15 pm

He was saying he liked what you said. :? I have to admit, until I got to the end of the sentence, I thought he was commenting on the *worth* of your comment, but that's not what it was.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:21 pm

amon wrote:Selective editing is fun!
:oops:

I'm sorry, man. I was offering a compliment by saying that I didn't have anything cool to add to the conversation, but that I really liked the image you evoked.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:17 pm

My misunderstanding, I apologize. And to prevent the possibility of any more episodes of Three's Company, I'll just leave it at that! :mrgreen:

GlassToMouth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby GlassToMouth » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:32 am

Toptube wrote:NAMM is here....I think its past due time to show the 4 string and get proper picks on the site For the 4 string page and links ; )

I wholeheartedly agree! I'm guessing they're waiting for a customer to order a VM49K to be built to their photogenic standards before updating the picture on the website. Here's to hoping they use mine! Although it probably won't be done until late March or early April. I was kind of shocked not to see a 4 string multiscale Vanquish in any of the NAMM pics.
VM49K Vanquish multiscale 4 string 4/29/17

NBD thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49182&p=632719

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:50 pm

I saw at least 3 of these being built in the custom shop, during today's live FB video. :woot:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:53 am

Jeff has a Mclaren Yellow 4 string Multiscale Vanquish being built. Its got a music man style humbucker at the bridge and a Jazz bass style single coil at the neck. Its mostly done. Looks pretty cool!

videomagician

Postby videomagician » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:23 pm

No pics in the wild yet?

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses