single coil RAD pickup

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

A-Ro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: single coil RAD pickup

Postby A-Ro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Bob C wrote:Hey A-Ro,

Thanks for that info. I gather the RAD single has less volume drop because it's a hotter pickup. I've been on the fence about the bridge pickup, but this is pushing me over to the single coil. Is your PB5 active or passive? Blend or VVT? What are your normal settings?

Mine is passive with the standard Volume/Blend/Tone. My settings change depending on the song but, in general I like to have the blend knob slightly favoring the SCP. My tone knob is usually full on for upbeat songs and rolled off about halfway for slower melodic stuff.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:18 pm

You guys with volume issues on the RAdiused humbuckers: have you adjusted the pickup height? The radiused pickups are pretty sensitive to pickup height. You'd might be surprised at what just one full turn of the screw, can do!

I haven't tried the Kiesel Radium humbuckers. But, the Carvin RAD-HVA are similar/the same output as the RAD-JVA single coil. In fact, I really liked the humbucker as a bridge pickup and sometimes think about putting it back in... :rockon:

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 am

Toptube, that's good to know. Thanks for the info.

A-Ro, the plan for my next build is along those lines too: straightforward, basics bass, but still with some flexibility. Any issues with the blend control?

A-Ro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby A-Ro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:31 am

Toptube wrote:You guys with volume issues on the RAdiused humbuckers: have you adjusted the pickup height? The radiused pickups are pretty sensitive to pickup height. You'd might be surprised at what just one full turn of the screw, can do!

I haven't tried the Kiesel Radium humbuckers. But, the Carvin RAD-HVA are similar/the same output as the RAD-JVA single coil. In fact, I really liked the humbucker as a bridge pickup and sometimes think about putting it back in... :rockon:

I understand that's typically the fix and, I had the RAD-H as high as it could go (which made it hard to play over the bridge). No luck.

I'm happier now the the RAD-J.

A-Ro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby A-Ro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:33 am

Bob C wrote:Toptube, that's good to know. Thanks for the info.

A-Ro, the plan for my next build is along those lines too: straightforward, basics bass, but still with some flexibility. Any issues with the blend control?

I personally prefer the blend control over 2 volume controls for the simple fact that I can completely control my volume with one knob (instead of fumbling with 2).

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:46 am

I have the blend on my older LB70, and it's just fine (this is with two identical pickups, of course - H50A's). But when the PB series came out, there was some talk of the blend control having some inherent problems. I guess they've all been corrected now, but I'm still always interested in first hand accounts.

dont_fret

Postby dont_fret » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:21 am

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. From Kiesel I ordered and last week received what I expected to be 1 KRJ single coil and 1 KRJ reverse wound single coil for my Icon. Instead I received what appear to be one KRJ and one KRHB humbucker bridge pickup, but I'm not completely sure because of the labeling.

Here's my invoice which has the one KRJ and one KRJ reverse wound I thought I ordered
IMG_20170225_130416.jpg

Here are the pickups from the front which both have the green dot indicating what I thought was supposed to be a single coil
IMG_20170225_130614.jpg

'
Here are the pickups from the back. One the left pickup is written "KRJ," and there looks like what appears to be one coil up top. One the right pickup is written "KR.H.B" with a yellow dot sticker and what appears to be not the same coil configuration. In fact I can't see the coil from the back here.
IMG_20170225_130709.jpg

So was I shipped one of the wrong pickups? It seems that way but I can't quite tell!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Get the tiny Allen wrench you would use to adjust your bridge saddles and lightly drag it across the tops of the pickups.

A humbucker will attract the wrench on both sides. A single coil will only attract and pull it on one side. Specifically, the neck side. The single coil blades are positioned towards the neck, inside the pickup. Not centered.(which means you can flip the single coils, for a tone change!).

P.S. Indeed, green dots are supposed to be single coils. The humbuckers are a white dot. If you still suspect a mixup, Mike was very very helpful when I had issues ordering pickups. ; )

dont_fret

Postby dont_fret » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:08 am

Toptube wrote:Get the tiny Allen wrench you would use to adjust your bridge saddles and lightly drag it across the tops of the pickups.

A humbucker will attract the wrench on both sides. A single coil will only attract and pull it on one side. Specifically, the neck side. The single coil blades are positioned towards the neck, inside the pickup. Not centered.(which means you can flip the single coils, for a tone change!).

P.S. Indeed, green dots are supposed to be single coils. The humbuckers are a white dot. If you still suspect a mixup, Mike was very very helpful when I had issues ordering pickups. ; )

Thanks for the suggestion. I did the allen wrench test and it looks like one of these pickups is a humbucker! Guess I need to call Kiesel tomorrow.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:17 am

dont_fret wrote:
Toptube wrote:Get the tiny Allen wrench you would use to adjust your bridge saddles and lightly drag it across the tops of the pickups.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did the allen wrench test and it looks like one of these pickups is a humbucker! Guess I need to call Kiesel tomorrow.

Bummer, dude!

Glad to help. I'm sure they will make it right.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses