single coil RAD pickup

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

single coil RAD pickup

Postby Bob C » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Well, I've brought this up once or twice before, with not much response. Why don't I hear more about folks here (other than Brian Bromberg) using the single coil RADs?

PB basses with a J99 at the bridge are common. But when it comes to RAD pickups, everyone seems to go for the humbucker. The single isn't even on the PB builder.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: single coil RAD pickup

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Singles are amazing. Have no bass with these singles.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:59 pm

I have the RAD-JVA in my Icon 5. I love them. They are the second Gen radiused single coil. I haven't tried the third gen Kiesel Radiums. I was never able to confirm if they are actual different, or just rebranded RAD-JVA.

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:46 pm

The RAD single-coil that I ordered for my V49K finally showed up today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drop it in, this weekend 8)
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:36 am

MikeBass,

Which neck pickup do you have in that bass?

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Currently the Radium humbucker, so I'll be able to provide a very close comparison between the two. I've had that humbucker before but this will be my first Radium single-coil

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Bob C wrote:Well, I've brought this up once or twice before, with not much response. Why don't I hear more about folks here (other than Brian Bromberg) using the single coil RADs?

PB basses with a J99 at the bridge are common. But when it comes to RAD pickups, everyone seems to go for the humbucker. The single isn't even on the PB builder.

Just finished installing and testing the Radium single-coil. I only did a quick test to make sure everything worked (initially i ran into a phase issue when in the 50/50 blend spot, that was quickly fixed by switching around two of the wires). I haven't done a full test with headphones yet but I can already tell that I'll be keeping the single-coil.
Maybe it's from my years as a loyal J99 fan, but the single-coil just sounds right.

I can now (mostly) directly compare the J99A, SCP, Radium-H and Radium-J. More in-depth reviews to follow :rockon:

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:28 pm

Some quick notes from my in-depth session:

The RAD-J sounds better paired with the SCP than the RAD-H. Just one man's opinion, but what a difference. The 50/50 blend sounds more alive and there are now new sweet spots at various points in-between.
The high strings seems to sing more with the RAD-J, though again it could just be how I'm used to that J99 sound.

One thing of interest is that the RAD-H doesn't seem to play well with overdrive pedals. Specifically, the high end tends to disappear at higher gain settings. It's funny because without any pedals/gain, the pickup's high end sounds perfectly normal. It's not a massive drop-off that makes the pickup unusable, just something I'd noticed. No such issue with the RAD-J.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:03 am

MikeBass wrote:The RAD-J sounds better paired with the SCP than the RAD-H.

Thanks for your excellent review, and for the above insight in particular. Awesome write-up.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Yes thanks, MikeBass.

You're supporting my desire to go with the SCP/JRAD combo. Do you have VVT or blend? Also, how is the single coil hum issue?

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Bob C wrote:Yes thanks, MikeBass.

You're supporting my desire to go with the SCP/JRAD combo. Do you have VVT or blend? Also, how is the single coil hum issue?

Blend. I'm pleased to say that the bass is just as quiet with the RAD-J as it was with the humbucker!
I'd have to say that the J has a more flat/even response, whereas the H seems to have a baked-in EQ curve.

My next project is breaking out the B40s and comparing the RAD-J to the J99A

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Mike, what color is the dot on your radiused single coil? And what model name is on the bottom?

And did it come with an order receipt?----what does that say?

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Toptube wrote:Mike, what color is the dot on your radiused single coil? And what model name is on the bottom?

And did it come with an order receipt?----what does that say?

Green dot, i believe the bottom had KRJ-D written on it. Not sure what the D is for, the humbuckers (since I now have a spare set) are labeled KRH-N and -B, which makes a lot more sense. On the invoice it's listed as KRJS.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:09 pm

hmmmMMMmmMm!

Same dot color as RAD-JVA.

Is the humbucker dot white/silver?

The website remains hilarious. The JVA single coil isn't listed, despite it being standard spec for a couple of years. And the Kiesel Radiused single coil page references the J99A. When the RAD-JVA was clearly based in the JVA. In tone, not only name!

The thot remains plick!

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:06 pm

All I know is, this pickup combo sounds amazing. Easily my favorite 50/50 blend tone ever.

Hoping to get some more sample vids this weekend, it'll be interesting to compare them with my old ones when the bass still had the RAD-H

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:32 am

MikeBass wrote:All I know is, this pickup combo sounds amazing. Easily my favorite 50/50 blend tone ever.

Is that the combo of HRAD/JRAD or SCP/JRAD? Sorry if this is redundant. I can't keep up.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 am

Bob C wrote:
MikeBass wrote:All I know is, this pickup combo sounds amazing. Easily my favorite 50/50 blend tone ever.

Is that the combo of HRAD/JRAD or SCP/JRAD? Sorry if this is redundant. I can't keep up.

He did a special order with SCP on the bridge and then the radiused humbucker in the neck. Now he has a radiused single coil!

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:26 am

Oh, THAT bass. :P

A-Ro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby A-Ro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:49 am

I have to agree with MikeBass.

I have a PB5 and it initially had the RAD-H in the bridge. FOR ME, it sounded sterile and lacked character (not to mention there was major volume drop off).

I've since switched out the RAD-H to the RAD-J (mine had the green dot) and, now it's came alive with way less of a volume drop to boot. It's still dead quiet and my range of of available tones seems to have increased as well.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:55 am

Hey A-Ro,

Thanks for that info. I gather the RAD single has less volume drop because it's a hotter pickup. I've been on the fence about the bridge pickup, but this is pushing me over to the single coil. Is your PB5 active or passive? Blend or VVT? What are your normal settings?

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses