PB5 players: how heavy is a walnut body?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

MichaelRopp

PB5 players: how heavy is a walnut body?

Postby MichaelRopp » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi, fellow Carvinites and Kieselians. I'm considering a new fretted PB5, and I was wondering whether anyone who has one with a walnut body and maple neck could tell me what it weighs. Do you pay much of a weight penalty for a walnut body?

Thanks, all.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: PB5 players: how heavy is a walnut body?

Postby Toptube » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 pm

I so not recall a PB with walnut, specifically. But, from what I have seen of other models, I would expect a 10 pound bass, at the least.

However, the recent guitar weights thread suggests they might occasionally have an unusually light piece. You pay extra, to ensure something like that. Or get lucky.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:08 am

Have you considered getting an alder body, and then adding a walnut top? That may give you some weight savings and still at least give you the look of walnut. That's if thats enough for what you're going for. You also might consider getting active electronics and a radiused bridge pickup because that would mean more of the body wood would be routed out, which would give you a greater chance of a lighter instrument.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:13 am

If you are looking for a walnut tone, I think the best compromise would be a walnut neck, ash body, and plain walnut top.

In my opinion, Ash shares some tone characteristics with walnut. Deep, growly tone. Usually less mids. Etc. They pair well. Having the walnut neck and top, will help push more toward a true walnut tone. I don't think it would disappoint.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses