The Aries

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: The Aries

Postby MikeBass » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:16 pm

No official reason given for the Tung/Raw Tone ban with the ebony. Could just be a time thing?

No matter. One other thing I wonder about is the weight difference between the Aries and the Vanquish, since i assume the Vanquish simply has more wood left on the body.
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Their weights are probably similar. The Aries has a steeper bevel, but only on the top half. Vanquish bevel is top and bottom. They both have a lower horn bevel. Vanquish is 1 inch wider. Aries has a little more right behind the bridge.

Weight of each piece of wood varies so much, even choosing an Icon doesn't guarantee lower weight. And that is probably their most cut down body.
* for close comparison, the new Gibson EB bass is very similar to the Icon, but set neck, rather than neck-through. The bodies are swamp ash and it seems Gibson is getting top choice ash. The 4 strings all seem to be under 8 pounds. Sweetwater has one now, which is under 7 pounds. And you could probably lose half a pound, by getting some single coil pickups. I bet those large pole dual coils in the gibsons, are pretty heavy.

They also use the babicz bridge. Which looks high mass, but its all aluminum. Official site says 3.7oz. I bet the brass hipshot A bridges on Kiesel basses are about 1 pound for the 4 string.

chatbass

Postby chatbass » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:17 am

The Aries demo vid was taken down QUICKLY. Hopefully we'll get another one soon.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:01 pm

chatbass wrote:The Aries demo vid was taken down QUICKLY. Hopefully we'll get another one soon.

I think I saw one with Anna playing but now I can't seem to find it. Is that the one you are referring to?

If so, why was it taken down?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

chatbass

Postby chatbass » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:19 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:
chatbass wrote:The Aries demo vid was taken down QUICKLY. Hopefully we'll get another one soon.

I think I saw one with Anna playing but now I can't seem to find it. Is that the one you are referring to?

If so, why was it taken down?

That's the one. Wasn't​ up for more than a day. Not sure why it was removed.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Probably realized an editing mistake.

What color was it?

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:34 pm

Toptube wrote:What color was it?

If memory serves, she demo'd three: The AB4 in GIS, the buckeye burl AB5, and a trans aquaburst with DBBEB.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:59 pm

dang, google indexed/cached the page. but the video is totally unavailable/wont load on the page.

chatbass

Postby chatbass » Sun May 14, 2017 8:27 am

Very close to ordering an Aries 5 in candy red metallic. I know everyone here seems to be crazy about natural finishes, but I've been lusting over candy red metallic guitars in the Carvin catalogs for years. Opinions?

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun May 14, 2017 11:02 am

The Aries is a great body for metallics. The bevels give more angles for the light to play.

If I don't like my almost finished Vader, I will probably do an Aries for the rebuild. And Grape Jelly metallic is in top running for the color.

chatbass

Postby chatbass » Sun May 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Toptube wrote:The Aries is a great body for metallics. The bevels give more angles for the light to play.

If I don't like my almost finished Vader, I will probably do an Aries for the rebuild. And Grape Jelly metallic is in top running for the color.

Yeah, I'm guessing that purple will really pop under the lights. I'm trying to wait for others to post pics of their Aries basses so I can get a better look at the instrument. We haven't really gotten a good look at it yet.

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Sun May 14, 2017 10:38 pm

chatbass wrote:
Toptube wrote:The Aries is a great body for metallics. The bevels give more angles for the light to play.

Yeah, I'm guessing that purple will really pop under the lights. I'm trying to wait for others to post pics of their Aries basses so I can get a better look at the instrument. We haven't really gotten a good look at it yet.

You'll have to wait for at least another month or two to see any on here. If it's any consolation, that wait is going to be muuuch harder for the ones like myself who are waiting for the actual basses, not just the pictures :wink:
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm

They did update the product pages and galleries. So there are a few more pics to look at.

chatbass

Postby chatbass » Mon May 22, 2017 3:41 pm

New Aries 5 demo up on Kiesel's YouTube channel.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Very nice. That's their best bass vid, since the Ben Jones Vanquish video. It's been awhile.... :shh: :applause:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 23, 2017 2:16 am

chatbass

Postby chatbass » Tue May 23, 2017 10:39 am

I think I'll start working on a build for one of these now. I'm convinced.

aproud1

Postby aproud1 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:21 am

Thats a really great video!

Really curious about the Aries. I played a V59 and loved it but the shape is a little funky and preventing me from committing.
I like everything about the Aries with the exception of the headstock. Guess I'm just not a pointy guy.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Mon May 29, 2017 8:31 am

Yep. I've been posting about a new bass order for months (years?), so I'm kind of like the boy who cried "Wolf!"

Agree about the pointy headstock. I imagine you can get a different one, but haven't asked yet.

Also, over the PB4, I like the no pickguard feature and more frets (22 would be fine; 20 isn't enough).

Not crazy about the bevel, but you can get it without that too. Waffling on pickups, but pretty much sold on SCP/RAD-S combo. Undecided about blend vs VVT.

Someday soon, I'll make up my mind and pull the trigger.

aproud1

Postby aproud1 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:23 am

there is a no bevel option? Would that make it a slab top then?

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses