Question about the Vader bass

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

fizzchem

Question about the Vader bass

Postby fizzchem » Wed May 31, 2017 3:31 pm

I would like to get the short scale version, but with only the split coil pickup at the neck. Just the single pickup. No bridge pickup. Kind of like a Fender Mustang, but cooler. Much cooler. Is that possible?

:D

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Question about the Vader bass

Postby MikeBass » Wed May 31, 2017 4:02 pm

fizzchem wrote:I would like to get the short scale version, but with only the split coil pickup at the neck. Just the single pickup. No bridge pickup. Kind of like a Fender Mustang, but cooler. Much cooler. Is that possible?

:D

They most likely can do that for you, but it will be a significant upcharge. Would look cool though!
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

fizzchem

Postby fizzchem » Wed May 31, 2017 5:02 pm

Significant meaning how much do you think?

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Wed May 31, 2017 6:26 pm

fizzchem wrote:Significant meaning how much do you think?

I've gotten custom pickup layouts on my last three (one is still in the over) basses, an SCP in the bridge position and single-coil by the neck. It was a little different each time, mainly due to the fact that I ordered different models (Vanquish, LB, and now an Aries) but it's usually around $400 extra. It's basically like adding on a figured top, price-wise

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:07 pm

If you simply want to do a bridge pickup delete (semi official lingo), it probably wont be a big up charge. The trick is if they would do it, at all. Call and ask.

If you also want a custom pickup position for your single pickup, that's brand new CNC programming, which you will have to pay for. That sort of thing is probably why Mike payed about $400 for his custom pickup configs.

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:29 pm

Toptube wrote:If you simply want to do a bridge pickup delete (semi official lingo), it probably wont be a big up charge. The trick is if they would do it, at all. Call and ask.

If you also want a custom pickup position for your single pickup, that's brand new CNC programming, which you will have to pay for. That sort of thing is probably why Mike payed about $400 for his custom pickup configs.

Yep.
One thing I will say: this isn't the first time I've seen someone ask about a Vader with a single SCP pickup, and part of the reason for the large upcharge (in my case) is due to the fact that they won't be able to use that CNC program for anyone else. So, if you request something that other people might want in the future, there's a chance it'll be a slightly lower price.

fizzchem

Postby fizzchem » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks guys. I figured out that they have done a SCP in the bridge position before. Deleting the bridge pickup just means a small reprogram on the CNC machine. I'll call 'em up.

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:10 pm

fizzchem wrote:Thanks guys. I figured out that they have done a SCP in the bridge position before. Deleting the bridge pickup just means a small reprogram on the CNC machine. I'll call 'em up.

Go for it! Let us know what they say :rockon:

You're lucky, these past several months have been the beginning of a golden age for Kiesel bass pickup customization. Even as late as this time last year, and certainly in previous years, getting a custom pickup routing/configuration was simply denied by the company. It's a good time to be a Kiesel bassist 8)

pbass6811
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pbass6811 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:04 pm

One thing to consider, if you haven't already, is that doing a custom pup placement or even a pickup delete, will not only cost you extra dough, it will probably make the build non-returnable.

Just something to consider...
-VB4/FDP
-VB5/fretted/White-Blue
-VB5/fretted/Satin Jet Black
-VB5/fretless/FDBC
-CT324X/Primer Gray

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses