blend circuit vs two volume controls

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

blend circuit vs two volume controls

Postby Bob C » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Everyone has their preference. I have a blend control on my 1998 LB70 (with two H50As), and like it fine. No noticeable volume loss, etc.

But I read a recent post from someone who said his blend control was way too subtle, and then all of a sudden kind of went to all the way on.

I wonder if having two different pickups (eg, SCP and JRAD vs two RADs or whatever) factors into this.

I'm wanting to order a passive Aries with SCP and JRAD pickups. Trying to decide whether to go with a blend or two volumes (if that is even an option).

Brian Brooks

Re: blend circuit vs two volume controls

Postby Brian Brooks » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:29 am

For the best set I believe for passive is good old fashion Ric wiring volume for each PU a tone for each PU and a threeway selector switch. Especailly in live situations and room conditions.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:36 pm

Carvin did that way back when. But it seems to have fallen out of fashion in the bass world.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:34 am

Personally I go for the two volume setup. I've been getting that option on all my builds since my second Carvin (an SB5000), which includes B50's, PB5's, an X64, VB6, and a V69K. You can request that wiring on any model where you have two pickups.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 am

I saw it on the builder for the PB, but not for the Aires. So, wasn't sure. I was set on VVT, but started rethinking it. Wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not getting the blend. Actually wondering if there's anything "wrong" with the blend.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:09 pm

What attracts me to having the VC2 option is having infinite control of the blend between your pickups, and also having some type of tone control when you go passive. With the blend option you have a passive mode, but with no tone control. Something to consider.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:03 pm

I just (finally!) paced an order for passive Aries 4 with VVT. Now we wait.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Bob C wrote:I just (finally!) paced an order for passive Aries 4 with VVT. Now we wait.

Congrats "BobC"! How long have you been planning this build? Are you going to share any more of the specs of your order or are you going to keep it a secret until NBD?

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Bob C wrote:I just (finally!) paced an order for passive Aries 4 with VVT. Now we wait.

:applause: Right on!
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks, Catman10. I posted about it in "The Waiting Room". Pretty much a basic Aries with a few options.

I've been working on a new bass since the PB line was introduced, but life got in the way. Then when the Aries was introduced, I lusted and agonized over that. Today was the day to pull the trigger.

I have to say this again. I had my specs all laid out before I talked to Mike Jones, but still panicked a bit. I even forgot to tell him I'm ordering a left handed model. I called right back and Mike made the correction. I still won't be at ease until it arrives on my doorstep though.

songwriter21
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby songwriter21 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:18 am

Blend for live, two volumes for studio

Two volumes are a royal pain during shows, while they're great for more flexibility in the studio.
Last edited by songwriter21 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I play the 5-string bass. Why? More bass.

6'ers are cool, too. ;)

Fretless_5

Postby Fretless_5 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:09 pm

I have a PB with the Radius on the back and a VVT setup. I'd like to change it to a blend. Any suggestions on the wiring?

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses