My PB4 in the pics of the day!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Pbass8

My PB4 in the pics of the day!

Postby Pbass8 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:56 am

I've been watching the videos and pics of the day on FB (like I think everyone does) in the hopes of finding my PB4. Spotted it on Friday! I immediately texted my buddy freaking out. The lead guitarist in my band just got a Kiesel with the raw tone black top and it looks sick, and when I ordered my bass I ordered it with orangeburst and then changed it right after. My guitarist doesn't know that I changed it though so he's going to be surprised when he sees that we have matching finishes...
Hoping it'll be here before I go in to record this weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pbass8

Re: My PB4 in the pics of the day!

Postby Pbass8 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 am

Update: it's in the pics of the day today complete. I guess it's going out today!

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Awesome! That's going to look great :rockon:
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:22 am

I hope it arrives on time for the recording! It looks great, BTW. Congrats!

Pbass8

Postby Pbass8 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:30 am

Just got the tracking info last night, it'll be here Saturday. Sunday I record. So just in time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NMyTree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NMyTree » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:55 pm

That is super sssssssweeeet!! Congratulations!!!

Does that Raw Tone finish come in only the Black, or can we choose any Satin or Translucent color?

I imagine it has to be exclusive to the Swamp Ash wood, in order to achieve that grainy wood look, correct?

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 am

Looks like you got a passive PB4, is that right? J99 in the bridge? Can't wait for a tone report. Curious about single coil noise too. I recently ordered an Aries bass with similar layout. 6 1/2 long weeks to go for me though!

BTW, the black on black is classy.

Pbass8

Postby Pbass8 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:33 pm

At the time I ordered this one, they only offered raw tone in solid colors. In my opinion, black was the best looking one. Right when they finished my bass, they started offering raw tone in trans and burst colors. Which stinks because I actually wanted orange burst raw tone but they wouldn't do it. Now they will. I think they'll do raw tone on any wood, but it really looks best on ash because the grain soaks up the paint.

Yeah passive. I have a PBJ5 that has the preamp, which I find really useful, but this bass is going to be used with a pick and down tuned so I knew that passive would work fine since I'd be doing some tone shaping on my overdrive pedal too. It's not a J99, they made a new J pickup to go with the P. I think it's a JVA or something. They sound really good together. Just played a show with it and listening back to some clips it has a big mean and clear sound which is what I like. Plenty of every frequency so you can shape it however you want.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Oh right, JVA Glad you like it!

I've posted about this before, but here goes: I'm awaiting an Aries 4 string passive with SCP and single coil radiused bridge pickup (JRAD?). It seems most people have stuck with the default bridge humbucker RAD. But the single coil J/P is such a big thing everywhere still, so I gave that a go..

How is the hum/buzz issue? How do you typically run your pickup balance and is it a blend or two volumes?
Last edited by Bob C on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pbass8

Postby Pbass8 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Noise is definitely present when I'm running overdrive, it's as bad as any single coil pickups I've used in that scenario. It's all from the J, the P is silent.

I usually run either full on equal or slightly less J, still dialing the tone in on this. The sound is great but you know, gotta find the perfect settings.... I opted for volume volume. I've had a couple basses with that so I'm just used to it.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:22 am

I ordered pretty much what you did, for the same reasons. But I chose an Aries because of more frets and no pickguard. Also, I wanted mostly different features than on my LB70.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses