BB70 frets - glued?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

LowCBassStudio

BB70 frets - glued?

Postby LowCBassStudio » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:45 pm

Can anyone confirm that Carvin glued in the frets (or not) on BB70 basses back in 2002? And what is Kiesel's process for installing frets now (WRT glued in or not glued in).

The reason I ask is my local guitar tech warns against using FB oil if frets are glued in, and recommends carnauba wax be used instead. Rationale is that the oil will soften the glue and possibly cause frets to get loose.

- Mark

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: BB70 frets - glued?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:43 pm

My understanding is that they don't glue down frets. I believe Jeff mentioned it in a youtube or facebook factory tour a few times. It could be a hallucination, too.. :lol:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:20 pm

PRS uses super glue. I haven't heard about widespread frets failing from them over time.

But, indeed, Jeff never mentions glue for frets. He does mention pressing frets in one at a time, almost every week. And you can often watch the one guy who does it. And I have never seen him reach for glue.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Pretty sure they're pressed in, as the CNC machines slot the fingerboards perfectly (no need to glue).

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 pm

For what it is worth I have found glue on my last three builds. One real bad on a maple fret board. Only in one spot and I am not sure if it was not to fix a pore or crack. One may be left over from the nut. The other right at the 14th fret, Like it is coming out from under the fret.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:53 pm

texastoast wrote:For what it is worth I have found glue on my last three builds. One real bad on a maple fret board. Only in one spot and I am not sure if it was not to fix a pore or crack. One may be left over from the nut. The other right at the 14th fret, Like it is coming out from under the fret.

In a fairly recent video (last 2-3 months), Jeff mentioned that they do not glue down the frets, but on some softer woods, especially figured maple, they sometimes apply a wood hardener at the slot to get the wood to grip onto the fret better. So apparently it's technically not glued down.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses