New pickup idea

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

New pickup idea

Postby MikeBass » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:39 am

Would anyone else be interested in the (un-radiused) guts of the current Radium singlecoil inside a J99 and/or soapbar housing? Seems like most people are on the radiused bandwagon, just thought I'd test the waters before going to the Product Suggestions page :think:
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New pickup idea

Postby Toptube » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:25 pm

They used to offer the J99as. The "s" was for soapbar. A J99a in their p2/soapbar case. I bet they would do a JVA like that.

A totally new pickup though? Probably not. I asked Jeff back in April, if there were any bass pickups planed for the upcoming pickup lines and he said there were no plans. He feels the current bass pickups are the best and their active system allows you to shape your tone so much, that a different pickup is not needed at this point. Not direct quotes, but that's the essence of what he said.

It has been a few months, though. But, at this point, I think if they do a new pickup, it should be something pretty different for them. Not some twist on a classic. We know they can make good single coils and decent dual coils, all with common magnet and wire types. They have two great, unradiused singles. I don't think they need to bother with a third.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New pickup idea

Postby amon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:27 pm

I was thinking a split-coil P-type in a radiused soapbar housing would be the missing link.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses