Dead spot(s) on my PB4

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

fizzchem

Dead spot(s) on my PB4

Postby fizzchem » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:03 am

I was playing the other day and I first noticed a dead spot around the "classic" 7th fret on the G string. I figured with the carbon fiber rods that they may mitigate this. Does anyone have a good solution to the problem? I looked up and found the fat finger but they're like $50 on Amazon. Perhaps just having an onboard tuner on the headstock helps?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by fizzchem on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Dead spot(s) on my PB4

Postby Bob C » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:41 am

I don't think carbon rods or anything else will guarantee no dead spots. Composite neck - maybe. I think neck-throughs are less prone to the problem than bolt-ons. Don't know whether that's an actual fact or not.

How old are the strings? Changing them certainly couldn't hurt.

I've never tried the Fat Finger. If it works as advertised, it would be worth fifty bucks to me. I've read that it doesn't eliminate a dead spot - only shifts it to somewhere else. Maybe you can shift it all the way to the last fret; I don't know.

I have a hunch a clip on tuner would not have enough mass to have any effect. Maybe a small C clamp?

Pbass8

Postby Pbass8 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 am

I'd heard the same thing, that carbon rods can't eliminate dead spots. A tuner probably doesn't enough mass and it also probably isn't making a good enough connection to the piece of wood to resonate with it. I'd be careful with a C clamp, I suspect the Fat Finger has some padding that will protect the wood that might not be there on a C clamp.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:32 am

Yeah, C clamp would dent the wood if you didn't think it through and proceed with caution.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:57 am

Bob C wrote:Yeah, C clamp would dent the wood if you didn't think it through and proceed with caution.

And to not dent the wood, you'd want to add cushion...which would likely lessen the effect of said clamp. :)

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses