Belated NBD: LB76F (now with pics)

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

islandbass
Gold Member
Gold Member

Belated NBD: LB76F (now with pics)

Postby islandbass » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 am

I received my new bass back in April, but after a hectic end to the school year (I'm a teacher,) a move, summer vacation, getting ready for the next school year, and now hurricane Irma, I've been a bit tied up.

It is without a doubt the best bass I own, and I'm playing it almost exclusively now. The band leader for a big band I play with keeps raving about it, and I know he's going to be disappointed if I bring anything else to rehearsal now. :D I had had some uncertainty on if i I wanted fretless lines or not, but I think I made a good choice in going without. The side dots give enough reference for the third, fifth, seventh, and twelth "frets," and it isn't difficult (at least for me) to place the notes between them. Having good muscle memory helps. I do find it challenging once I get above the octave because the notes seem to be in tune when my finger is a little to the left of where it looks like it should be (might be a perspective thing.) But for 99% of my playing I don't have to worry about it.

The light blue looks really good. It gives the bass a clean, soft look, and with the glossy neck it enhances a smooth feel I love. I'd ordered about a week after the color became available, and until then I had mostly been eyeing the aqua burst, so that was a tough decision, but I'm happy with it. (Hey, it matches my eyes! :wink: )

Speaking of the gloss neck, I've had issues with gloss before, but on this bass it feels really nice. It makes it feel more sturdy in a way too.

My build has the radium single coils, and I like them a lot. The sound is clean and colorful, never getting brittle or too bright like I had feared. With the tone rolled off the sound's like a soft pillow, while still having plenty of clarity. To my surprise I'm actually liking the sound from the bridge pickup best as I tend to favor the neck on my other basses, but honestly I can solo the bridge and be in heaven, especially with the tone lowered. Of course I can get plenty of bark and zip with it on.

The rosewood knobs are cool. Chrome knobs would have fit better asthetically, BUT, I love the look and feel of the wood knobs dernit. I'm not regretting that choice at all.

I don't know what brand flats are on the bass, but they feel really nice. Smooth without being stiff like some other flats I've tried. However I have noticed the E and B strings seem to have a different character than the rest. I know they're going to have a boomier sound due to the thickness, but it's still a much more striking tonal difference that I'm used to. I'll probably put my usual d'addarios on whenever I change strings. In a few years.

My only regret now is I wish I had a fretted one too! Maybe with the humbuckers and some roundwounds for contrast. A guy can dream right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by islandbass on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Belated NBD: LB76F

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 am

The gloss finish that Kiesel uses is pretty much the best you can get in terms of "not sticky".

I think the knobs are Tamarind now, which gets them around the CITES rosewood restrictions.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Belated NBD: LB76F (now with pics)

Postby Greg Emm » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks for posting these pictures. What a strikingly clean-looking instrument! The wood knobs are a really nice touch, and that finish with that beautiful, dark, fretless fingerboard is really pleasing to the eye. This bass simply looks like it would be really rewarding to play, which your playability and sound descriptions verify.

Congratulations on a stunning bass. Simple and elegant.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Very nice indeed. Could you tell me what image host you use? I just downloaded Dropbox, but haven't quite figured out how to post pics yet.

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Such a cool bass, very classy :rockon:

Just curious, is the control layout vol/vol/tone or vol/blend/tone?
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

islandbass
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby islandbass » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Bob C wrote:Very nice indeed. Could you tell me what image host you use? I just downloaded Dropbox, but haven't quite figured out how to post pics yet.

I just uploaded them as part of the post. There was an option under the window.

Mikebass, it's volume/blend/tone.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:00 pm

bare wood and flats?

PS: delicious bass

congrats!
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:48 am

Such a clean looking bass.
I'm convinced that a bare fretless board is the way to go.
Sounds like a keeper for sho!

Congrats and enjoy!!
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:40 am

Wow, what a beauty!! I imagine it looks so cool viewing it from a distance because of that stunning ebony fingerboard's contrast w/ that light color. Big congrats to you!!

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses