AC basses and upright tone

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

dr. love

AC basses and upright tone

Postby dr. love » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Most of my gigs are on upright bass (amplified) and I've been looking at the AC series as a possible stand in for the stand up when the giant beast is not practical. I know that nothing completely sounds like an upright, but since the gigs are amplified with drums and electric guitars I just need a "close enough" vibe that mimics the percussive attack, woody tone and quick delay of an upright. Tonally, I'm looking more for "dark and thumpy" than "bright, growly/mwaaa". Any AC owners have thoughts/tips/tricks that would help my quest?

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: AC basses and upright tone

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:20 pm

Tapewounds on an ac40?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

SEANZILLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: AC basses and upright tone

Postby SEANZILLA » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:00 am

It definitely has a sound of a much bigger bass if you want it to. I can get some really warm lows out of mine. It has a good range of tone, and the tapewounds sound pretty sick. They just took me a bit to get used to the 'slippery' feel. If I get another, it will be fretless. I'm lefty and never got ahold of a fretless until recently and would love one of these as such. Even when I first got it, my first impression was that this bass really wanted to be fretless.
Carvin B24S, LB-20, AC-40, SB5000, BK40 fretless. Schecter Diamond 8-string, Kramer ST-7000
Carvin BX-700 w/2 BRX10.4 NEO cabs
Boss GT-10B

Check out my band Therium here: https://www.reverbnation.com/therium1

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses