Locking Bridge Saddles

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Pbass8

Locking Bridge Saddles

Postby Pbass8 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 pm

I don't usually subscribe to the idea that the mass of a bridge or having locking saddles really does much to the sound, even though I have a G&L and two Carvin/Kiesels that have locking high mass bridges. But today I was adjusting my string height on my PB5 and after playing it for a while with the saddles loosened, I finally locked them back and noticed a pretty significant difference. The sound was thinner and brighter with the saddles loose, and it was much fuller when I tightened them down. And yes the saddles were definitely making full contact with the bridge before that, because I had loosened the locks to raise the action so they were already pressed down all the way. There's always that possibility that this was a placebo effect, but it sure seemed to be a big difference to me. I was actually lamenting that I had screwed up the pickup height that I had carefully dialed in previously by adjusting string height, until I tightened it back.

Has anyone else heard that kind of difference?

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Locking Bridge Saddles

Postby Catman10 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:24 am

Thats interesting. I haven't noticed that on my Kiesel/Carvin basses, but I did experience a big difference in output on another make when I replaced their standard bridge with a Hipshot Type A which has a higher mass. On that bass I had changed out the pickup first, which filled out the sound a bit, but at a later date I upgraded the bridge and I noticed a much bigger difference in output! It made a bass that was easily replaceable into a real keeper!

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Locking Bridge Saddles

Postby MikeBass » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm

I’ve actually been having saddle vibration issues with the Hipshot bridge. Not sure if it’s because the flats that I use are lower tension or because of plucking too hard, but I’m seriously considering asking about if they’ll put a Carvin bridge on my next order, since it has the lock-down screws and I never use the spacing adjustment screws on the Hipshot.

It’s harder to notice when playing live, but unplugged I notice it immediately.
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses