And then there were...VB4.

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

pbass6811
Gold Member
Gold Member

And then there were...VB4.

Postby pbass6811 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:47 pm

So, I actually got my VB4 a couple of weeks early! I've had it for a few days and played a couple of gigs with it. Here's a few, poorly constructed, random thoughts;

I REALLY like the SCP/KRJ combo! It sounds like a Pbass that worked out and got pretty muscular. I hear beefy without being to hollow. It's a warm, full, round sound that works in a lot of different styles. I could use the same description about the Radium Single Coil, although it's not as full sounding as the SCP. It's still a big sounding pup. The combination sounds YUUGE! I might prefer this combo to the dual humbucker Radiums, but I'll need a couple more gigs to really work that out.

The Purple flame on this bass looks AWESOME! One thing though, there's a slight shade difference on the neck as opposed to the body wings. It's fairly noticeable, but not enough for me to send it back.

Playing a 4-string is WEIRD! LOL! I've been on a 5 so long, that my brain keeps looking for the B string. I actually had to work for about 20-25 minutes on Slither to get "5-string/standard tuning" out of my head. The song is, obviously, way easier on a 4 tuned to dropped D, but that's not the way I've been doing it for the last zillion years, :lol:

I've heard some folks talk about the unamplified sound of these as having a chorus-y sound to them. Pretty much every Vader I have does that. Personally, I like it, a lot. I can see where it might bother some, but I really like it.

I noticed that my last 2 Vaders have different size hex screws than my first 2. I like the new ones better. I need to see if I can just get new hex screws or if I'd need a whole new headpiece...

Here's some pics(Sorry for the crappy pic quality. I really need to work on that):

From the Kiesel FB page:
22520248_1979533745663251_4798837460939548895_o.jpg

Body close-up:
thumbnail-2.jpeg

Full shot(with my also new CT324X in Primer Gray):
thumbnail-3.jpeg

The whole crew:
thumbnail.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-VB4/FDP
-VB5/fretted/White-Blue
-VB5/fretted/Satin Jet Black
-VB5/fretless/FDBC
-CT324X/Primer Gray

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: And then there were...VB4.

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Beautiful. And congrats.

Can you do us a couple of small favors? One is get a shot in outdoor lighting of the color on the front and A/B it with the color on the back. The other is to measure the distance from the nut to the center of the split PU -- I'm very curious about that distance on this model with that pickup in that neck location.

She's a beauty. And I LOVE their split pu tone.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

islandbass
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby islandbass » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 am

How does it feel on a strap? I seem to recall another poster finding it awkward.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:29 am

Are you talking about the top when you mention the shade difference?

That's wood. Natural variation. Some areas take stain differently. It has nothing to do with the neck.

Personally, I kike that sort of thing. But, after years of seeing hand picked diamonds, some people would send that back and maybe even cry about low quality tops. Not saying you. Just saying, I have seen it on some other guitar forums.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:45 pm

It looks stunning to me. Jesse was right that the shop photos didn't do justice for that top. It's cool that it's challenging you, too, as an instrument. Big win, my man.

Thanks for the pics. That's quite an arsenal!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:16 pm

The color differents you are talking about. Is it on the back? You can't see the neck on the top of your guitar, and the back looks like it's painted black, at least from the side edges we can see.

or are you talking about the flamed top, and how it looks like it's a different color in the middle? It could be that the wood underneath just has some color variation on the natural piece of maple. Kinda like this one:

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Nice! The PB+J is legendary for a reason 8) Killer flame too :rockon:
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:10 am

That top and finish are killer. I've often heard the purple is too dark or that it photographs too dark. But yours looks wonderful.

RAD J is the single coil, right? I ordered that pickup combo on my soon to arrive Aries bass. How is the single coil noise? Have you gigged with this bass yet?

islandbass
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby islandbass » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Bob C wrote:That top and finish are killer. I've often heard the purple is too dark or that it photographs too dark. But yours looks wonderful.

RAD J is the single coil, right? I ordered that pickup combo on my soon to arrive Aries bass. How is the single coil noise? Have you gigged with this bass yet?

The RAD single coils on my LB are a bit noisy if soloed, however in a band setting I never hear it. I did use a different amp at a rehearsal the other day and they were pretty much silent, so maybe they're amp sensitive.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks for the info. My AB4 is due on Tuesday, so then I'll get to hear for myself.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:34 am

Congrats on the new addition, it’s a real beaut!! That SCP is a great pickup that seems to mix well with just about any pickup. Enjoy!

pbass6811
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pbass6811 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Hey guys. Sorry about the late response. They changed my schedule at work, so I haven't been around too much. Lemme try to catch up... :D

gumbynotpokey wrote:Beautiful. And congrats.

Can you do us a couple of small favors? One is get a shot in outdoor lighting of the color on the front and A/B it with the color on the back. The other is to measure the distance from the nut to the center of the split PU -- I'm very curious about that distance on this model with that pickup in that neck location.

She's a beauty. And I LOVE their split pu tone.

Thank you very much! I really dig it! The back is black, so, not really much help, lol! It's about 29.5 inches to the center of the P pup.

islandbass wrote:How does it feel on a strap? I seem to recall another poster finding it awkward.

The Vader does seem to have a bit of a reach to the lower frets, having said that, I don't think it's awkward at all. Perhaps if one has short arms and/or fingers.

Toptube wrote:Are you talking about the top when you mention the shade difference?

That's wood. Natural variation. Some areas take stain differently. It has nothing to do with the neck.

Personally, I kike that sort of thing. But, after years of seeing hand picked diamonds, some people would send that back and maybe even cry about low quality tops. Not saying you. Just saying, I have seen it on some other guitar forums.

I get that. I don't have a problem with it, it just seems strange...

Greg Emm wrote:It looks stunning to me. Jesse was right that the shop photos didn't do justice for that top. It's cool that it's challenging you, too, as an instrument. Big win, my man.

Thanks for the pics. That's quite an arsenal!

Thank you, sir! I normally enjoy the uncomfortable feeling of playing a completely new instrument in gig situations, but this did require a bit of rethink. I love playing a 4, and I did miss it, but I still hafta "think" my way through some stuff. No worries though. Although I spend 97% of my time on a fretted 5, I have the most fun on the 4, the fretless 5, and my epic struggle to make something that sounds like music on the guitar, LOL! The guitar is KILLA', BTW!!!

spudmunkey wrote:The color differents you are talking about. Is it on the back? You can't see the neck on the top of your guitar, and the back looks like it's painted black, at least from the side edges we can see.

or are you talking about the flamed top, and how it looks like it's a different color in the middle? It could be that the wood underneath just has some color variation on the natural piece of maple. Kinda like this one:

I think you're right. It's a cool look and I'm happy with it.

MikeBass wrote:Nice! The PB+J is legendary for a reason 8) Killer flame too :rockon:

Thank you, sir! I'm really digging this sound... :woot:

Bob C wrote:That top and finish are killer. I've often heard the purple is too dark or that it photographs too dark. But yours looks wonderful.

Thank you, sir! They did a good job with this. It does have the single coil and I have gigged it. The single coil J, at least in my Vader, is dead silent. Like Islandbass said, it may be amp sensitive. Through my rig(Arkham Sound Tube pre/QSC GX7/Barefaced Audio Big Twin II/pedalboard fulla stuff)it's dead silent.

Catman10 wrote:Congrats on the new addition, it’s a real beaut!! That SCP is a great pickup that seems to mix well with just about any pickup. Enjoy!

Thank you, sir! I'm vaguely considering a VB6 with the SCP/RADJ combo...vaguely. :think:
-VB4/FDP
-VB5/fretted/White-Blue
-VB5/fretted/Satin Jet Black
-VB5/fretless/FDBC
-CT324X/Primer Gray

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses