How many different size/shape bass necks does Kiesel/Carvin make?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How many different size/shape bass necks does Kiesel/Carvin make?

Postby Bob C » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 am

I posted this in "Tech Talk", but maybe it will get more traffic here. I'm wondering - and I know this has been touched on before, although not in great detail:

Are ANY of the current bass offerings' necks identical? Is the Icon neck the same as the LB? Is the Brian Bromberg or the Roy Vogt the same as any others? Are the BK necks different from the PB basses?

The Vader is obviously different, as it's headless. But is the neck width/shape/profile the same as any of the others? Or is every Kiesel/Carvin bass neck its "own thing"?

I'm not talking scale, number of frets or number of strings here, although those factor into the feel of course. Just wondering about actual size and shape of the neck.

I just got my Aries (You may have seen my posts - heh) and the neck is wider and possibly chunkier than my LB70. No surprise and no problem. But how does the PB neck compare? Is it identical other than number of frets?
So, yeah - a few questions to start off the day!

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How many different size/shape bass necks does Kiesel/Carvin make?

Postby Bob C » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Well, I started checking specs on the Kiesel website - so far for Aries, JB and PB four-strings. They do differ, but only within .002". Measurements are listed for width at nut and last fret, and thicknes at nut and toward top of neck.

But I don't know if they differ in "roundness" or other shape. I'll check on the LB70 and others later tonight.

Does anyone here own both a PB and an Aries and could offer your observations?

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:24 pm

I was going to post about the specs on the website too, as well as the “roundness” factor, but got distracted by the Builder :lol:

I have owned a PB (it was actually the 4 or 5 year anniversary of when I got it, the other day) but have since sold it.
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:50 pm

I was surprised that according to the website dimensions, the LB70's neck is VERY close to the PB4. My LB70 feels a lot narrower. But perhaps they've changed it since I got that bass, way back when.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:05 pm

I'd like to see a neck comparison chart, like the pickup one that's on the website.

jeff6845

Postby jeff6845 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:59 am

I played the PB, JB, Vanquish, and an Aires (all 5 strings) for a little bit at the showroom this past summer. I didn't notice much of a different in the neck shape. However, I'm not sensitive to neck profiles to begin with, usually just the nut width, and somewhat for string spacing.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:53 pm

That confirms what the listed specs tell me. But there ARE slight differences, right? As I said, my Aries feels very different from my LB70. But the LB70 is 18 years old, so perhaps its design has been revamped over the years.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses