Can't Intonate V59K B String

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

jeff6845

Can't Intonate V59K B String

Postby jeff6845 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:51 am

I cannot adjust the bridge on the B string to take out the sharpness on the high frets. It appears that the adjusting bolt has bottomed out in the bridge saddle. So my questions are:

1- Am I doing this right.... lengthening to bring sharp notes in the upper frets back inline with the open string note?
2- Are there shorter screws I am suppose to be using?

The background is that I purchased the Vanquish this past summer... love it, best bass I have and is a real looker at our church's worship band (in fact it looks better than my mediocre playing skills). I did replace the very bright Dunlop strings that came it came with from the showroom with GHS pressure wounds ML and a .128 B string. I believe this is a somewhat thicker gauge that the factory Dunlops.

I have all the bridge adjusted with proper intonation for the other strings. It's a factory-equipped black hipshot bridge that I believe is standard for this bass.

jeff6845

Re: Can't Intonate V59K B String

Postby jeff6845 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Searching, I've found the issue which was the screw being too long as I thought.

http://carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?p=542982#542982

Followed the advice to get a 4-40 1" pan head screw and it fixed that issue. Now, I need to shorten the spring slightly as I'm close, but not quite there and the spring is fully compressed.

jeff6845

Postby jeff6845 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:33 pm

Follow up...

I had to use a 4-40 3/4" pan head and cut the spring in order to get the B string to intonate.

Seems like Hipshot basically took a 4-string bridge and added a 5th slot and did not think about extending the range necessary for the B string. Maybe Kiesel can lean on Hipshot to include spare screws and springs in short length

The problem with the design that limits the travel of the saddle is the blind hole due to one of the height adjustment screws for the saddle, and the spring being too long when fully compressed. Without a redesign, I cannot see fixing this issue other than providing shorter screws with the bridge.

Finding black pan head screws in the local hardware stores is difficult.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:40 pm

If you need spares, here's 100 for $8.05 ( https://www.mcmaster.com/#91249A119 ) or 25 "military spec" for $9.50 ( https://www.mcmaster.com/#90988a018/=1aewxzp ).

:lol:

I'm not a bassist, but thanks for the updates!

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Greg Emm » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:27 pm

spudmunkey wrote:If you need spares, here's 100 for $8.05 ( https://www.mcmaster.com/#91249A119 ) or 25 "military spec" for $9.50 ( https://www.mcmaster.com/#90988a018/=1aewxzp ).

:lol:

I'm not a bassist, but thanks for the updates!

Yeah. Really great thread. I'm glad you're close to solving this issue for good. Your experience will surely save others headaches down the line.

Thanks!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:55 pm

I had to buy shorter screws to properly intonate my E and B strings, on my Icon 5.

but this year, its third year of life, my Icon changed somehow and I had to go back to the original screws :? :shock:

Also, give DR Pure Blues a try. I am not usually a DR fan. But, i love these strings. I got the pack with the .130 B.
Best B string I have ever tried. Very clear and a good, positive feel. and overall tone and note clarity is remarkably balanced, from string to string. and the B isn't even tapered!!

jeff6845

Postby jeff6845 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm assuming you mounted that .130 B string directly on the bridge, and not through the body. The .128 was tight at the thread wrapping on the top of the string. I don't think I could get a .130 with thread wrapping through the body hole.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:33 am

jeff6845 wrote:I'm assuming you mounted that .130 B string directly on the bridge, and not through the body. The .128 was tight at the thread wrapping on the top of the string. I don't think I could get a .130 with thread wrapping through the body hole.

Nah I go through the body on the B. I have tried several different brands, all of them have worked through body.

Thralloun

Postby Thralloun » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:01 am

Sharing my experience with the matter in hand because I faced something similar a while ago ; I string my LB20 BEAD (and tune it the same way), I'm using D'addario xl nickel wound 60-80-110-145 gauge, strings through body ; I couldn't intonate the E and B strings properly, always a bit sharp with the intonation saddles as far back as possible.
I emailed the contact service at Hipshot (Jason, really nice guy), explaining what I was dealing with. He sent me 4 shorter intonation screws for free ; I put them in the E and B bridge saddles, and it solved the E string intonation.
I changed the string set for a one with a tappered B string, and now everything is perfect, intonation wise.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Of course the unacceptable fix would be to play in the Duck Dunn style at or below the first 5 frets only. :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses