More bass comtemplation

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

More bass comtemplation

Postby brento73 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:08 pm

I started thinking more about bass a few months ago, and ended up finding a pretty decent used bass(not Carvin/Kiesel, unfortunately), but I'm obviously thinking about what Kiesel I will order after the budget recovers from the holidays and a job change.

I've decided I want a 6 for the extra range and ability to move shapes around a little more, and after spending a few days pondering it, and asking my wife's advice, I think I've narrowed it down to the X64 or the AB6. Both are a little more 'modern' looking, but I'm not sure I want the headless Vader(although it's cool...). Either way I want the active/passive option and tung oil on the neck, making them fairly similar in price.

Essentially, I feel like it comes down to neck-thru vs bolt on(screw-on, really... they aren't actually BOLTS, strictly speaking...). What are everyone's thoughts on bolt vs thru?

Edit:

The Aries has the bevel, while the X64 doesn't, so that's another difference, although I know they can leave it off the AB6, and might be able to add it to the other? Are there other differences between the two that I'm not thinking of?

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: More bass comtemplation

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:11 am

The driver of the decision for me would he what PU u want and what model is it available on?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:38 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:The driver of the decision for me would he what PU u want and what model is it available on?

I want radiused in both neck and bridge, which I can get on both basses. I see from your sig that both of your basses are neck-thru, any thoughts on bolts? Any advantage?

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 am

I've got multiple bolt on and neck through Basses from these fine folks.
As you can see in my sig, they include LBs, Bks, and my most recent, an X54 fretless.
Only the X54 has a Split P at the neck and the Rad Hum at the bridge.
All others either have just the Jpups or the J plus HB and Piezo.

They all play very good, but the X54 was so nice from the factory that I've not even touched the setup since it arrived.
It still sounds like me when I play it, but the pup and preamp combo is super flexible and powerful.

If you are set on the dual Rad pups, then go for it, but I'd be remiss if I didn't advocate for the split pup in a neckthrough build. There's something special and perfect about the latest bass they made for me and every time I pick it up, I'm reminded of that undeniable fact.

Best of luck on your quest and be sure and keep us posted!
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Greg Emm » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 am

I can only echo Praiser's celebration of the Xccelerator model. There is something special about this type of bass. It seems to facilitate creativity and spontaneity as well as encourage stretching one's technique. The neck dimensions are very comfortable and the instrument balances like a dream. The standard pickup configuration is pleasingly versatile, too.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:18 am

brento73 wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:The driver of the decision for me would he what PU u want and what model is it available on?

I want radiused in both neck and bridge, which I can get on both basses. I see from your sig that both of your basses are neck-thru, any thoughts on bolts? Any advantage?

If I get another it will be a bolt on with a solo split PU.

:)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:38 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:
brento73 wrote:

If I get another it will be a bolt on with a solo split PU.

:)

Well, since you have neck thrus, it makes since you'd get a bolt. Of course, since my cheap 4-string is a bolt, it adds weight to the growing X64 vote. :)

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:31 am

I have both the bolt (Vanquish), and the neck-through models (Excellerator, Vader) and as far as overall tone and playability they are all very similar. My X64 has the SCP in the neck position, and it has lots of booming lows and crystal clear highs but the one thing I noticed right when I got it was the lack of body contour. I have since gotten used to that. The Vanquish, on the other hand, was very comfortable right away with that bevel it has on the body. If comfort right away is a high priority to you, then I'd be leaning towards the Aries with the bevel.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:21 am

Catman10 wrote:I have both the bolt (Vanquish), and the neck-through models (Excellerator, Vader) and as far as overall tone and playability they are all very similar. My X64 has the SCP in the neck position, and it has lots of booming lows and crystal clear highs but the one thing I noticed right when I got it was the lack of body contour. I have since gotten used to that. The Vanquish, on the other hand, was very comfortable right away with that bevel it has on the body. If comfort right away is a high priority to you, then I'd be leaning towards the Aries with the bevel.

Yeah, the lack of bevel was a little bit of a concern/question in my mind. :think:

My guitar isn't beveled, but it's not as big as a bass, so I might want that extra comfort.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:54 am

To be clear, it doesn't have a bevel, but it does have at least a subtle drop-top forearm contour correct?

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:59 am

spudmunkey wrote:To be clear, it doesn't have a bevel, but it does have at least a subtle drop-top forearm contour correct?

Based on the photos, that seems to be the case.

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:27 am

I don't notice ANY difference in forearm comfort between the rounded body of my LB75 and the X54.
This applies to my BK50s also.
I'm probably doing something wrong, but that's just never been an issue for me.
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:35 am

Ok, that's reassuring. My current cheap bass just has the slight curve there, and it feels fine, so it probably won't be an issue.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Ok, another question:

5 piece necks, who has them, pros/cons, do you feel like they are more stable?

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:58 pm

I have both kinds of necks and the one-piece necks seem as stable to me as the five-piece ones. I think the twin rods installed in each neck contribute to consistent stability across different kinds of necks. The necks in my HHs are all one-piece set necks, and they feel the most rigid, even the two produced before the graphite rods became standard features in all Kiesel necks.

In terms of feel, though, I can't recommend enough some kind of walnut neck with tung oil. Walnut feels great in the fretting hand.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:40 am

I have not had any major differences in stability between 5-piece and single piece necks. I have some single piece necks from Carvin/Kiesel that required no adjustment over the years, and I have some 5-piece necks that have required some minor adjustments. Is there any tone difference between the two? Its so slight that any difference perceived is negligible. Personally, I think a 5-piece neck adds just a slight touch of depth to the pallet of tones from an instrument. Like I said, its very slight and more than likely only noticed by the player.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:34 am

Thanks again for the replies. I've had a tung oiled solid walnut neck before, and that's the direction I'm leaning right now. It just felt really good, and I think getting the feel right is even more important on an instrument with so much neck!

I'm currently picturing walnut body/neck, spalt top, clear gloss with tung neck. The 'NS' option for whether you want the top wood to hide the neck isn't in the builder for the X64, but I assume the neck shows by default? Anyone know? There's still a chance I may go with an Aries, which would make the question moot, but I'm still thinking Xccelerator at this point.

Edit: Oh, also, I've found a few pics of Carvin/Kiesel basses with spalted maple and walnut, and they had maple fret boards, and looked really good. It made me realize that in 30+ years of playing guitar, I don't think I've ever had anything other than rosewood or ebony. Anyone have any pros/cons for maple?

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Greg Emm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:32 am

brento73 wrote:I'm currently picturing walnut body/neck, spalt top, clear gloss with tung neck. The 'NS' option for whether you want the top wood to hide the neck isn't in the builder for the X64, but I assume the neck shows by default? Anyone know?

I think ordering a top for an Xccelerator covers the neck and body. It's not an upcharge as on, say, a Bromberg bass.

Your specs sound awesome!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:00 am

They currently don't offer the option to have a visible neck with a top on any model with a bent forearm contour.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:43 am

That's great news, since I want as much spalt as possible :)

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses