17mm string spacing 5 string Vanquish bass is real

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

17mm string spacing 5 string Vanquish bass is real

Postby Toptube » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 pm

In-stock now. I haven't been watching the weekly vids since the summer. Did Jeff talk about this? He must have said something about this!

Time to save my money!

:rockon: :woot: :applause: :shock: :drool: :D
https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/134765

fizzchem

Re: 17mm string spacing 5 string Vanquish bass is real

Postby fizzchem » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:11 pm

I actually prefer 19mm, even on my 5 strings. :stir:

jmfresh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jmfresh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:32 pm

What the what? Please tell me this is true, that I can order a Vanquish with 17mm string spacing. I've been waiting for Kiesel to bring back a bolt-on five string with 17mm spacing. It's not just the spacing at the bridge though, it's the commensurate narrower neck as well, a la what was on the B5. Take a B5 neck and bolt it on to a Vanquish body with 17mm spacing at the bridge. Holy mother of pearl! Where's my wallet?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:38 pm

If I remember right, someone ponied up the programming cost.

And to their credit, from what i can tell, whenever someone subsidies the cost for something like this, he makes it available to others without that cost. I haven't seen a single, "Hey, wait a minute! You charged ME for that, so why is this other guy getting charged for it now?" or even a "Hey, why did they tell me it will cost me when someone else already did it?" situation.

jmfresh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jmfresh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:40 am

Just checked the Vanquish bass builder and 17mm string spacing is an official option! I wonder if that means that the neck is thinner as well (i.e., less wide top to bottom), similar to the neck profile on the dearly departed B5. Would be weird to have the same size neck but smaller string spacing at the bridge. I would imagine there would be a huge gap between the B and G strings and the edge of the fretboard if they kept the same size neck.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 am

Hmm...offering a narrow bridge would then mean a new narrower neck, which couldn't be swapped onto anything else unless it was the same spacing, and the narrower neck pocket would mean it couldn't take other standard necks. That sounds tricky...but necessary with a bridge with narrower spacing. :think: Hmm...

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:59 am

You can see that the neck is indeed, less wide at the heel and pocket.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Good to know that the right engineering was put into it. :-p I remember a few years ago, before he found his "Excalibur"*, my bass-player friend tried installing a wide-spacing bridge on his old Ibanez with a neck that I would be generous in describing as "similar to a toothbrush handle". Once you got up to about a 6th and 7th frets, you'd start falling off the sides, and unplayable above 9. :lol:

*His "Excalibur" being his Warwick, with the ultra wide 20mm (pretty sure it's at least that) spacing, and honestly...still the best-feeling bass I've ever played.

jmfresh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jmfresh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Toptube wrote:You can see that the neck is indeed, less wide at the heel and pocket.

I must be blind. Where can I see this? I'd love to see the difference in the two necks.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 pm

jmfresh wrote:
Toptube wrote:You can see that the neck is indeed, less wide at the heel and pocket.

I must be blind. Where can I see this? I'd love to see the difference in the two necks.

There is a link in the first post of this thread

jmfresh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jmfresh » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:02 am

Toptube wrote:There is a link in the first post of this thread

Thanks. I had seen the pictures from the original post. My eyes can't really tell an appreciable difference between the two necks, although it does appear from the GIS bass that the B and G strings are the appropriate width from the edge of the fretboard. Wonder if someone from Kiesel could definitively state what the neck specs are for the 17mm spacing bass.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:23 pm

WOOWOO!!!
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Son_of_Mogh

Postby Son_of_Mogh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 pm

This is awesome, but now how about the same 17mm bridge spacing option for the JB5, PB5 ? Please...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath. Unless they've started cutting pickguards in house (they may very well have), it would take bespoke pickguards with they narrower pocket.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses