Tuning Pegs Shearing off

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

aikimcr

Tuning Pegs Shearing off

Postby aikimcr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 am

I just had a tuning post shear right off on my Carvin LB-5W. This is the second time in the last three years. These are the standard Carvin/Kiesel tuners. I haven't had a problem like this with any other bass. Is this a common problem with Carvin/Kiesel tuners or am I just super unlucky?

I've already ordered a replacement, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade these to set of better quality tuners.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Tuning Pegs Shearing off

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 am

That stinks. What is the production year of your bass? The same thing happened to the E peg on my 2011 LB70.

aikimcr

Postby aikimcr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 am

Greg Emm wrote:That stinks. What is the production year of your bass? The same thing happened to the E peg on my 2011 LB70.

Not sure. Around 2003 I think.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:17 am

Here's a good thread on this topic featuring basses with similar vintages to yours:

viewtopic.php?t=46253

aikimcr

Postby aikimcr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 am

So, I'd read that thread before posting this. I just read it again. From that thread it looks like I should make a point of keeping spare tuning posts around. At least two left-hand ones and one right-hand one. Heck, at that point, I should just buy a complete set.

It doesn't take long to replace them, but it really sucks to have to. Especially since this last time was in the middle of the first set at a gig ("Why is me E string suddenly massively out of tune? Why is turning the peg not having any effect on the tuning? Oh. Something's broken. Yank out my Warwick...)

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm

So, it was the E? Higher tension...... :think:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

marley's ghost

Postby marley's ghost » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 am

Interesting. The low b peg broke off on my SB5000 about a month ago. I installed a set of hipshot tuners. Problem solved!
Last edited by marley's ghost on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 am

I've now got 6 Kiesel/Carvin basses :oops: ranging from 2003 through 2017. They include Chrome and Black hardware.
Never had a tuner fail to the extent that the OP has.
The only thing I've had happen, is a couple of the little plastic friction washers have broke.

From a manufacturing perspective, I'll say this...
Failures or defects often occur within a specific batch of parts.
Maybe the alloy wasn't quite right, or the temps weren't controlled properly.
Perhaps the machining left a burr or scratch that later developed into a crack under load (tension).

It's possible you just had bad luck and got tuners that had one little issue that is now manifesting itself.
After the second failure, I'd likely replace them all if it was an instrument I gigged with in any capacity.
I know it's a pain, but get some replacements of your choice, slap them on there and rock that thing! :D 8)

Best of luck.
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

aikimcr

Postby aikimcr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 am

So maybe just bad luck. But besides these two broken ones, I had two others that just got "sticky". They wouldn't tune accurately because they wouldn't go past a certain point in their rotation smoothly. I replaced those as well.

I really like this bass. It's way more versatile than my other five-string. But this business with the tuners needs to get fixed once and for all.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 am

I haven't had this problem on my 3.5 year old Icon 5.

But, I have said a couple of times now, they should add Hipshot ultralites as an option. Or just make them the default for any bass over the price of say...$1500. Something like that. I think is kinda dumb to have generic tuners on anything over $1,000, really.

*That's basically how Ibanez does it. Once you hit their "Premium" line which start at about $1100, you get the second best Gotoh Tuners.

aikimcr

Postby aikimcr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm wondering if 1/2" Hipshot Ultralites would make a decent replacement. Everything I've been able to find says they're way better than any of the GOTOH style tuners.

ThaTroll

Postby ThaTroll » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm

The Hipshot Ultralites are great. I had the same problem with my early 2000's LB70 and B4 -- I've replaced something like 3-4 busted tuners between the two of them over the course of 15 years or so. I put Ultralites on the LB70, which is my No. 1 bass, and no problems thus far (fingers crossed).

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 pm

aikimcr wrote:I'm wondering if 1/2" Hipshot Ultralites would make a decent replacement. Everything I've been able to find says they're way better than any of the GOTOH style tuners.

Generic Gotoh style, such as Kiesel's, yes.

Lowest grade actual Gotoh brand, yes.

But Gotoh's 1st and 2nd best tuners are excellent. And their best is actually a little lighter than Ultralites.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses