Strings of choice for multiscale. Or any scale is fine as well.

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GlassToMouth

Strings of choice for multiscale. Or any scale is fine as well.

Postby GlassToMouth » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm just curious as to the choice of strings that some of the folks in these parts use on their multiscale basses. This will likely be a bit of a slow moving topic, so you parallel fret guys and gals area are also certainly welcome to chime in.

I have a VM49K and have tried many different brands and gauges. I tend to kill strings pretty quickly on any bass. Whether it's my skin type, hog-like perspiration, hamfisted attack, or pork technique, or a melting pot of all of the above, I seem to always end up with Elixirs. Specifically their extra long scale nickels 45-105. This is the only string they offer that has a long enough winding length for my Kiesel. I typically get around a month per set, sometimes stretching it to around 6 weeks. I've tried Ernie Ball Cobalts in a couple different gauges which I loved for a week or so until they lost their new car smell. I've gotten similar results with Kalium, D'addario, and DR as well.

I try to find a winding length of 37.5" or longer on anything I check out. Most listed at 37.25" don't quite reach. However the Cobalts sounded so good for a little while, I raised the saddle on the E to compensate for the taper. Everything is back to normal now that the Elixirs are here to stay.

I desire a bright, snappy, new string zing for as long as I can keep it. There's strings that I prefer a wee bit over the Elixirs for a few days, but they quickly turn into a cold ravioli sandwich on pumpernickel on a rainy Wednesday in Seattle.

But this certainly looks and sounds a lot better than soggy pasta.

Last edited by GlassToMouth on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VM49K Vanquish multiscale 4 string 4/29/17

NBD thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49182&p=632719

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Strings of choice for multiscale. Or any scale is fine as well.

Postby Toptube » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Elixirs dead in a month? Are you constantly fiddling with your setup? (taking strings on/off, intonation, string height, etc). If you put a set of elixirs on and don't mess with them besides playing and tuning, they should last a few months. I would say 4 at least. Some people get 6+

They have a stainless Elixir which has a bit more of a hyped/brighter tone to them. You may try those. There isn't anything else which lasts longer. Their coating completely covers the string, after it is wound. There are no gaps for crud, oils, acids, etc. Elixirs should last as long for you, as any other hard player. In my opinion, Elixirs are a semi secret weapon for gigging players who don't have a lot of money to spend often on new strings.

If your body is acidic/you kill strings fast, you should probably at least be focusing on stainless strings. If not coated.

There are other coated brands. In my opinion, they aren't as good because they all coat the winding before the string is woundd. But generally speaking, people seem to like DR's coating. Their "Dragon Skins" are stainless. I think those are pretty good for tone, at least.

GlassToMouth

Postby GlassToMouth » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Toptube wrote:Elixirs dead in a month? Are you constantly fiddling with your setup? (taking strings on/off, intonation, string height, etc). If you put a set of elixirs on and don't mess with them besides playing and tuning, they should last a few months. I would say 4 at least. Some people get 6+

They have a stainless Elixir which has a bit more of a hyped/brighter tone to them. You may try those. There isn't anything else which lasts longer. Their coating completely covers the string, after it is wound. There are no gaps for crud, oils, acids, etc. Elixirs should last as long for you, as any other hard player. In my opinion, Elixirs are a semi secret weapon for gigging players who don't have a lot of money to spend often on new strings.

If your body is acidic/you kill strings fast, you should probably at least be focusing on stainless strings. If not coated.

There are other coated brands. In my opinion, they aren't as good because they all coat the winding before the string is woundd. But generally speaking, people seem to like DR's coating. Their "Dragon Skins" are stainless. I think those are pretty good for tone, at least.

I truly wish that Elixir offered stainless as an option for extra long scale. Literally the only compatible Elixir string for my multiscale is the nickel 45-105 extra long. I've tried virtually all of their offerings on my normal 34" scale basses. The light gauge stainless are divine, but aren't long enough for my Vanquish.

I've been practicing a lot over the past few months, especially after I replaced the pups and pre. I can get two months if I go easy, in addition to the single coil tapping EMG's for some more bright snap. But if I practice 2-4 hours per day, I start to lose a touch of slap happiness and harmonic content around the 1 month mark.

I have barely adjusted the truss rod. Perhaps a 1/4 turn back in November. Kiesel nailed the set up. I haven't adjusted saddle height since then as well. Only on the E anyways, all others were perfect. I've left the intonation well enough alone since around then too.

But this has been my routine on other basses as well since I started to care about such things many years ago. Yes, I wash my hands and wipe down my instrument constantly.

I tried the Dragon Skins on a different bass and didn't care for them. Both in regards to feel and sound. Ernie Ball Cobalts, DR Sunbeams, followed by Dunlop Super Brights are my favorite short term strings. But $32 every month or two seems to be my happy place as opposed to spending $60-$80 per month on the other brands.

My other basses get around 4-6 months on Elixirs nowadays, but I only play them for nostalgia for very brief sessions every month or so. And I let my instructor borrow one for discounted lessons :rockon:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 am

Well, my new fave strings are DR Pure Blues. They are marketed as a cross between the best aspects of DR's nickel and Stainless roundcore strings. I don't usually like DR's tone, but I tried these anyway. As I have been frustrated with Quality conistency of Super Brights and they are admittedly a little too low in tension.

I mean, they probably won't last you any longer than other uncoated strings. But if you feel like trying something new...

They are bigger in the lows than superbrights, less warm in the mids when new, but still with all the mid detail. more highs but still a nice crunch in the high mid. A powerful tone, overall. Reminds me of the discontinued Dean Markley Helix strings. I lovvvvved the stainless version of those. Definitely the biggest tone I have experienced from a roundcore.

Like Super Brights, Pure Blues last awhile and even when admittedly old----still sound good through their age. They actually get crunchier and warmer as they age, and end up sounding more like Super Brights. They are even better balanced in tension from string to string, have a bit more tension than superbrights. But still flexible (They are roundcore afterall) and the .130 b string is the best I have yet used. Really good clarity. Tonal balance and clarity from string to string, is pretty remarkable.

Unfortunately, they don't make an extra long version of Pure Blues, yet. But DR's standard winding length is 38" (which is actually really $%&! annoying on a Fender bass), so would probably work if you are getting 37's to work.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:08 am

On a semi-related note: why don't they make a VM69K? Only four and five, no love for the six?

As for strings, I can't help because:

A: I'm still a bass noob, and mostly a guitar player
B: I play flat-wound strings, which are the opposite of of bright, and....
C: I change strings when one breaks. I think my guitar strings are about a year and a half old. :think:

:)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:35 am

From what I understand, their longest six string pickups aren't really long enough to be mounted on an angle.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:48 am

Yeah, I suspected it was something like that. :(

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:07 pm

brento73 wrote:Yeah, I suspected it was something like that. :(

They could easily make a pickup. But, Jeff is really cautious with offering new bass related products. As they don't sell NEARLY as many basses. Which is why we don't have a multiscale Vader bass, Zeus, or Osiris. The multiscale Vanquish doesn't sell very well.

But, I think that the new headless basses will do enough sales, to see a headless multiscale bass, by the end of the year. A 6 string though?..... :shh:

GlassToMouth

Postby GlassToMouth » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Toptube wrote:

They could easily make a pickup. But, Jeff is really cautious with offering new bass related products. As they don't sell NEARLY as many basses. Which is why we don't have a multiscale Vader bass, Zeus, or Osiris. The multiscale Vanquish doesn't sell very well.

But, I think that the new headless basses will do enough sales, to see a headless multiscale bass, by the end of the year. A 6 string though?..... :shh:

I second these opinions and facts. I hardly ever see multiscale basses in pics of the day. They don't seem to push it that hard compared to other products. The Aries bass and standard scale Vanquish bass demos have much better demo videos in my opinion. I do hope to order another Kiesel multiscale bass in the next couple years. I just hope they don't get discontinued before I'm ready.

Their in stock multiscale bass selection isn't the most appealing for folks on the fence. 3 out 4 are non-returnable raw tone builds. The only returnable one is a 10.4 lb walnut boat anchor, albeit a very pretty one.

sedgwick

Postby sedgwick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:52 am

Are the stock strings from the factory on a multi-scale just the standard med-light Dunlop super brights? I bought this Vanquish 5 mulit-scale late last year and love the stock strings. Haven't had to change them yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:06 am

Toptube wrote:

Sorry for the redirect but I've expressed this with the gang at Escondido when I was there. IMO, they chose the wrong model for multi-scale. To think, it was originally going to be the Icon and I'm positive that would've sold more. Because of the larger upper horn, they should consider the Xccelerator but the Icon draws more into versatility (I don't see funky bassists using the Xccelerator). Case in point, they should risk it by giving the Vader (including the 6-string version) multi-scale. Plenty of bassists that want a lighter multi-scale would totally nab it. Jeff just has to advertise the basses more.
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

GlassToMouth

Postby GlassToMouth » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:39 pm

sedgwick wrote:Are the stock strings from the factory on a multi-scale just the standard med-light Dunlop super brights? I bought this Vanquish 5 mulit-scale late last year and love the stock strings. Haven't had to change them yet.

The stock strings on most of their basses are the Dunlop Super Brights which I love for a very short period of time. I also agree with Toptube that they're a bit lighter tension than I prefer. However the multiscale basses are equipped with Kaliums and they died on me very quickly. But to reiterate, this seems to be a problem unique to me as I seem to replace strings faster than most. I replaced the stock Kaliums less than 2 weeks after my VM49K NBD.

I also agree on the fact the multiscale Vanquish never received much of a company push other than a bit of social media hype around 2017 NAMM. I love mine so much that I'm saving for a 2nd one as fast as I can before it potentially gets discontinued. My dream is a multiscale Osiris, but I'm not holding my breath. I also seem to gravitate towards bolt on over neck through designs. But the Icon does seem like a very sexy multiscale candidate.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Relatively speaking, do you find Stainless strings to last longer for you, than nickel/nickel plated?

If not....then you are probably going to have to deal with whatever coated strings you can find, which will fit. I have heard ok things about cleartone. Labella has a string called "Vaopor Shield" which isn't a coating. Rather, its a surface treatment, Kind of like anodization. Not exactly, but that's a general comparison for the idea. I have no idea how good the strings are. but, if you have acidic hands, it could help.

If stainless do last longer for you, I would try some Fodera stainless with a .130B. Pricey, but a fantastic string.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:00 am

As some may know, I'm debating what Kiesel bass I want to get once I pay some things off(shooting for placing the order something this summer). I was interested in a 6 string, but the multi-scale is really growing on me, so I may go VM59K, instead. Is it hard to find strings long enough for the 36" side of the scale? As a guitar player for the past few decades, I never worried about that sort of thing, but when I look at bass strings on music supply sites, there are short, med, long, and super-long listed.

I get that short would be the 30" side of things, like the short scale Vaders, but is 'long' long enough? Would I need to get super-long? I long for an answer. :lol:

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:33 am

After digging around a bit on the interwebs, I found some strings called Payson, which are apparently made to work with another company's multi-scale basses.

Has anyone heard of them? They have a couple videos on the site of some dude playing with the flat wounds(which is what I'd be interested in), and they sound good to me.

They're made for basses with a 34-37 fan on a five string, so should be more than enough for a Kiesel, I think.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses